• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Diatoms, green dust algae and melt...

Oase 600T with almost 4kg Biohome Ultra

I’m sure it’ll balance itself given time. Interested in how you find the flow with 4 kilos of media in the filter compared with the supplied foam etc?
Remove 2kg and add sponges back.....Algae just loves water with a lot of fine detritus.
Manually remove as much algae as possible using an old toothbrush.
Add Floating plants/Fast-growing stems to the surface.....you must cover 70%.
It is no coincidence that algae proliferate where light-coloured sand is present.... reflective light is the culprit!
Personally, I'm not a lover of white/light sand.....it should be left on the beach.

Remove 2kg and add sponges back.....Algae just loves water with a lot of fine detritus.
I was just leading up to that very comment! But I wanted to see a picture of the tank, which I suspect has a cloudy water column.

I was just leading up to that very comment! But I wanted to see a picture of the tank, which I suspect has a cloudy water column.
Indeed....could be a consequence of dosing fertilizers?

But I wanted to see a picture of the tank, which I suspect has a cloudy water column.
It sure has... It is like that the last 4 days...

@GHNelson "It is no coincidence that algae proliferate where light-coloured sand is present.... reflective light is the culprit!" Even if the white sand is almost 90% covered with plants and hardscape?

Last edited:
@GHNelson "It is no coincidence that algae proliferate where light-coloured sand is present.... reflective light is the culprit!" Even if the white sand is almost 90% covered with plants and hardscape?
I always found white sand causes problems... it's my opinion!
The aquarium seems to be in a bacteria bloom.....therefore you need to change some water and get some mature filter media/sponges into the filter.
Fine filter floss will help.

First, thank you all for trying to help me out!
The bacteria bloom is the 3rd I've encountered sinds the setup. Initially after a week, then after planting and now again.
Mature sponges I do not have. Only the original ones that came with the filter. I can change out 1 layer of biohome with these sponges if you think it will help?

Ferts: Do I need to stop with EI? Because plant growth will help me I guess?

First, thank you all for trying to help me out!
The bacteria bloom is the 3rd I've encountered sinds the setup. Initially after a week, then after planting and now again.
Mature sponges I do not have. Only the original ones that came with the filter. I can change out 1 layer of biohome with these sponges if you think it will help?

Ferts: Do I need to stop with EI? Because plant growth will help me I guess?
Hi @dIggO
Remove 2 layers of Biohome....add the supplied sponges!
Personally, I would reduce....the dosing by 50%....till you get the algae, bacteria bloom, and cycle issues sorted.

To me the main issue here is to much light, the green algae on the rocks is a big clue.
Chihiros WRGB II on 65%
Next up is to little water changes, new set ups especially using aqua soil need large frequent water changes.
Sunday water change 25%
Wednesday 25% water change

I'd suggest you turn the light intensity down to 40%, I promise you the plants won't die at this level. Remove as much of the stringy algae as possible by manual means. Do some big water changes 60/70%.
Manually remove more algae, and then do another water change. This needs repeating daily/weekly (as needed).

Tanks like this can be turned around but it requires a bit of elbow grease, you get out what you put in.

Last tip, get some snails in there, they'll help.

Remove 2 layers of Biohome....add the supplied sponges!
I do think what GHNelson suggests would be of help @dIggO. .

Slowly transitioning one or two of the trays to foam will increase your bio surface area, and that should help with bacteria growth and start eating DOCs in the filter rather than happening in the water column. (It may take a month or two to colonise the new foams). I only run sponges in my Oase Biomasters, and the water is very clear. Also, with the Biomaster, I would clean the pre-filter weekly, but leave the internal media (in the trays) alone for as long as the flow is acceptable. I have not cleaned my internal foams for over 7 months (I check every 3), and I can't see myself cleaning that media for another 6 at least.

Slowly transitioning one or two of the trays to foam will increase your bio surface area.
I assumed Biohome has largely bigger surface area than the standard sponges?!

I do clean those diatoms daily(I wrap them around a little tube brush), but I don't do daily waterchanges, just twice a week 25%)
I would love some Nerite snails, but I heard they are escape artists and I don't have a cover...

I assumed Biohome has largely bigger surface area than the standard sponges?!
20PPI sponge has around four to six times more surface area than Biohome.

but I don't do daily waterchanges, just twice a week 25%)
I think @John q was suggesting that the water changes are 'as needed', and even if daily, then it would be temporary until stability returns.

Thank you!

What should be the order of the filter materials?
Fine>medium>coarse>Biohome?

What should be the order of the filter materials?
Fine>medium>coarse>Biohome?
Ha! There is quite some debate on this!! :D

In my opinion, you want your pre-filter to be 45PPI or 30PPI foams - the 45PPI comes with the standard Oase in the UK, and I am currently experimenting with the 30PPI this week! After the pre-filter, you can have it how you like!

I have (from the bottom up) HEL-X > 20 PPI Foam > 20 PPI Foam > 30 PPI Foam. (I have the Biomaster 250, so I have one less tray than you). But to be honest, I would lay quite a lot of money on the fact that any combination would work AFTER the pre-filter. I strongly feel that you regularly clean your pre-filter but leave cleaning the media in your main trays for as long as possible until the flow is not great. i.e. I don't think it's the order of the media, moreover letting it get covered in bacteria and hardly ever touching it.

I do clean those diatoms daily(I wrap them around a little tube brush), but I don't do daily
Do a water change every time you disturb the algae, or for that matter the substrate, otherwise you'll end up with a water column full of minute particles of the stuff you are trying to remove/don't want in the tank. Appreciate it means some intensive work but doing so should pay dividends.

Back