• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Crypt holes

hudsonpd

What does it mean (if anything!) if crypts develop small holes in older leaves?

No, means old leaves that aren't able to adapt to submerged life. Chop em off and all will be good.

Old emmersed leaves aren't able to adapt to submerged life.

Is lack of co2 the only cause for holes in leaves? Surely there must be other important nutrients which can cause this too?

Is lack of co2 the only cause for holes in leaves? Surely there must be other important nutrients which can cause this too?

Clive is correct really, holes do mean lack of c02, however, I'm yet to meet a crypt leave, sword leaf etc etc, that are grown emmersed, that actually adapt under water. They almost always end up having to be removed. Whether that be in a week or 3 months. They never survive.
Once it's adapted to underwater life, it's a different story.

Is lack of co2 the only cause for holes in leaves?
Yes.

Surely there must be other important nutrients which can cause this too?
No.
Follow the path of The One. All structural faults are caused by a deficiency of The One nutrient responsible for all structure: Carbon.

I'm yet to meet a crypt leave, sword leaf etc etc, that are grown emmersed, that actually adapt under water. They almost always end up having to be removed
Except when CO2, flow and distribution are Legendary.

These are all original leaves:
From initial planting:
9513677687_cef38ff51e_c.jpg

To full development:
8394114269_9e40750b60_c.jpg

Cheers,

Clive is correct really, holes do mean lack of c02, however, I'm yet to meet a crypt leave, sword leaf etc etc, that are grown emmersed, that actually adapt under water. They almost always end up having to be removed. Whether that be in a week or 3 months. They never survive. Once it's adapted to underwater life, it's a different story.

I believe it is possible but as Clive commented CO2 must be "legendary". I think it has also to do with how the plant is grown emersed too. The plant should adapt better the higher the humidity it was in due to the emersed leaf structure's variation in different humidity levels. At least that is what I read from somewhere.

No, you read incorrectly (or the data was incorrectly provided). Crypts do not care where they come from. They only care where they are going. The genetic instructions for success under optimal conditions have already been encoded.

I used to go to a certain Pets-R-Home, and I used to berate them for their incompetence at keeping plants healthy. Algae ridden tanks and bits of flotsam and jetsam floating about. I would start to clean the tank and scrape plant bits from the surface and take them home. They'd just grow.They do not remember the trauma suffered at the detention center.

I'd buy specimens from Asia and they would spend 14 days in the post and look like yesterdays soup. I just throw them in the tank, sometimes float them for a week or so and plant. They just carry on. Sometimes, if there was no real estate available in the tank, I hide them in the very dark reaches of the tank, and they just sit there, for months sometimes, staying as small as your pinky. Then, when a space opens up I'll stick it in the mud and it starts to grow. Those crypts in the photos above followed that pattern.

My plant leaves do not fall off. They curl, they deform sometimes, but that's about it. The problem is that each species of plant has some combination of need for CO2/nutrients while at the same time being limited by their uptake ability for CO2/nutrients. There is no one size fits all. Some plants do well even under duress while others have to be pampered. The level of CO2 required under certain lighting conditions can be so high for some plants to be free of defect, that it would be lethal to fish. That's why people are not able to reach full potential with their tanks. The critters limit their ceiling. If you want to test all these theories about pin holes and melting old leaves or curling, or whatever, then you need to get rid of the inmates and exceed your current limitations. Then you will know peace because you will realize that for your particular conditions, you will have to live with the problem if you want to keep the critters happy. But at least you will no longer question the origin of these structural issues.

Cheers,

Is that a general thing to Crypts lack or not enough CO2 or would it affect stem plants the same way,my healthy looking Hygrophilla polysperma has developed a few holes underneath in the lower leaves

Yes, it is a characteristic fault mode of just about every plant.

Holes, curling (or other deformation), translucency, melting, brown edges, brown spots, black spots, discoloration, raggedy looking, deteriorating, lower leaves falling, higher leaves falling, stems browning, stems rotting, hair algae, BBA are all specific indications of poor CO2 regardless of species. There are various layers of severity and each of the above symptoms indicate some level of severity as far as THAT plant is concerned. Two adjacent specimens may react differently even under the same CO2 deficiency conditions.

Cheers,

Interesting thread...for what it's worth, and for what inferences one can gather from the following observation...I've planted crypts from a fuel injected tank in to a low-energy tank and eventually they have lost all their leaves but not before they've grown new ones with distinctly different morphology, I suppose to cope with the environmental change. But never holes...just gradual melt over a couple of months. Once their roots are re-established growth continues at a pace. Amazing genetic diversity - adaptations to environmental stress - form and function...Nature never ceases to amaze and it will always win out given a fighting chance...

Clive liked those images first time I saw them...liking them all the more now...it'd be even better to see a FTS.

Very impressive. You're entirely too modest...I've seen this tank before, but only piecemeal, it's good to see it as a whole...your conservatory view doesn't look like the Stockholm I know and love though...more like an English country garden:confused:

Back