• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Consistency Deficiency

I think the tank looks great - you obviously have your own plans for it, but if it were mine I'm not sure I'd do much more to it beyond adding a couple of epiphytes to cover the cable ties. The open sand/negative space, works really well, maybe you should resist the urge to fill it (something I always fail to do as a serial 'over-planter').

Oh that is very nice of you to say @Wookii 🥰
I think if you like this look then my planned one will look fairly similar, just a bit more refined in a way.
The stones that are in there right now with cable ties are just to weigh down the wood, I think I can remove the cable ties in not too long.

I will definitely keep some sandy space, although maybe a little bit less in the corners, just so I can fit more plants 😅
Over-planting, is that even a real thing (hehe) 😇

I forgot to include this cruddy picture in my last post, Sir Snootenpoot dutifully munching up wilted leaves.
The Sagittaria subulata 1-2-grow pot was a little iffy looking and a lot of the plantlets had died. Since im a pretty lazy fishkeeper I removed the worst and plonked the rest in the tank, leaving shrimp and pond snails to do the rest of the work for me.
I wasnt expecting his royal snailness himself to climb up there and start working 😄
Tylomelania snails have a reputation in some places to eat healthy plants, although I havent caught him doing anything untoward so far.
Untitled.jpg

Oh @Hufsa you are too kind, making me blush! 🥰 What an enormous compliment, your tank is already so beautiful!!

I'm super happy to help if you want with your tank and some plants placement if you ever want it :) Though I think the tank already looks awesome I don't think you really need it, and it's always great to just try things out. Your plants are looking great and really lush, even before the rescape. It all sounds super exciting and beautiful, can't wait to see the hardscape in place.

I think doing drawings is a great plan, it would be great to see! These drawings are technical and just about getting ideas on paper, bit anything pretty, I do rubbish drawings too to get my ideas there. No judgement on UKAPS that's what I love about here, it's all chill and not competitive, just collaborative 😀

For me the hydrocotyle did grow well in soft water, it took a while and did almost nothing and then suddenly started doing much better, fingers crossed it grows for you to!

For me the hydrocotyle did grow well in soft water, it took a while and did almost nothing and then suddenly started doing much better, fingers crossed it grows for you to!
More of the mysteries of planted tanks. In my hard water low tech tank I thought the last of the hydrocotyle I added in 2020 finally melted away six months ago. And then I finished work earlier this week to discover a long strand of it floating in the middle of the tank attached at one end to some moss. Go figure...

This evening as I was looking at different rare mosses in the hobby, I accidentally discovered that many Fissidens species grow locally, species that may grow well underwater and look very cool. Im super excited about this, and have plans to go out to visit some of the sites tomorrow with my four legged assistant. Maybe the lack of Fissidens fontanus will be the start of something really cool? 😃

Picture borrowed from World of Aquatic Moss facebook page
21231651_1403127149804764_8012521076497450031_n.jpg

Success!!!

20211107_120130(0).jpg

Ive had a fun couple of days crawling up and falling down slopes, sporting long wellies and twigs in my hair looking like a lunatic.
I decided fairly early on to take it a bit easy with the slopes, and not venturing too far into the water of the most dangerous rivers.
I think "Killed by moss" would look really stupid on my gravestone.

Today I finally found some Fissidens, woohoo! :thumbup:

I should have 4 species now, Fissidens bryoides (pictured), Fissidens adianthoides, Fissidens osmundoides and Fissidens dubius.
I dont know jack diddly squat about wild moss, so I cant tell these apart, but they were collected exactly where the different species have been registered before.
They look very similar to me, but the bryoides should be the smallest one of the lot. Its a very cute little moss, aquarium grown bryoides is in the picture in my previous post.

Ive also got a boatload of Fontinalis, antipyretica for sure but maybe also some other species if im lucky.
Fontinalis squamosa and hypnoides are possible based on the collection locations.

I would love to get all the mosses properly identified, but I dont know how to do that.

I also really want to decontaminate the mosses, they are from rivers with fish in them, and im not keen on parasites or crawlies.
@dw1305 do you know a way to do this? I seem to remember moss not having.. cuticles? and therefore are not as happy with treatments like bleach and stuff?

I will post more pictures soon, I still have a bunch of samples to unpack, just wanted to update you good folk :geek:

Hi all,
I also really want to decontaminate the mosses, they are from rivers with fish in them, and im not keen on parasites or crawlies.
I honestly wouldn't worry, but you could keep them in a fish free aquarium (could just be in a small container of water) for a couple of weeks. In the extremely unlikely event there were fish parasites present they will have died and any hitchhikers should be apparent.
I seem to remember moss not having.. cuticles? and therefore are not as happy with treatments like bleach and stuff?
No bleach or Excel etc. You could try sparkling water, the CO2 should knock down any snails etc. I might have a trial run, even with fizzy water, on a less precious moss.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Warning: Picture dump, make sure youre not on a metered network :snaphappy:

This is my most preciousss right now, Fissidens bryoides (?) It was fairly abundant when I finally found some, so I have two cups of this.
Fissidens bryoides.jpg

Fissidens adianthoides, osmundoides, and dubius (?).
In the field I thought they all looked exactly the same, but I can see now that some of them have longer "stems", they are just brown on the older bits.
If you guys could have seen the grimy places these came from, these are some tough little mosses. I have a newfound respect for what mosses are able to tolerate out in nature.
Once I get new growth on these they should lush up and look more like their best selves.
I collected some data from The Flora of North America, and they write that the stems should get approximately 85, 2-21 and 25 mm long, respectively.
Bryoides is the smallest of my four with its 3-11 mm length.

20211108_122619.jpg 20211108_122542.jpg 20211108_122654.jpg

I got a lot of various Fontinalis samples, this was even after I threw away some samples that I was pretty confident was just more antipyretica.
One of the samples is noticeably softer to the touch and fluffier, im hoping this means its Fontinalis hypnoides.
Since Fontinalis species are such large sprawling mosses, I kept mostly the greenest shoots, and threw away the ratty old stuff. Otherwise I would struggle to fit them in the cups!
I think a clump of Fontinalis would look really striking placed right by one of my filter outflows, then it will be able to show off its best traits.
20211108_122837.jpg

20211108_123114.jpg
This one I found growing right next to a creek, but not in the water. I think it may be Plagiomnium undulatum? It has one relative that is used in aquaria, Plagiomnium cf. affine "Pearl moss". Its so pretty, but I figure if it is able to live underwater long term, then someone would have already tried it. Im tempted to throw it in anyway, but im not expecting it to survive.

20211108_123945.jpg 20211108_124024.jpg 20211108_124103.jpg
Not sure what these are, and the third one is a mix of allsorts that came with some other moss.

20211108_124211.jpg
This one looks to me like maybe Rhizomnium punctatum ?

20211108_124303.jpg
This one I think is Pellia epiphylla (or neesiana), it was growing right above the water level just like the guide says. Pellia endiviifolia is sold by Aquasabi, so im gonna throw this one underwater too and see what happens.

20211108_124441.jpg 20211108_124456.jpg 20211108_124530.jpg 20211108_124609.jpg
Four mossy mosses from various places. This is where mosses get really tricky for me, a ton of mosses look almost exactly the same. I think they should just combine all those species into one called "Mossus normalus" and call it a day, it would be very timesaving I think.

Amblystegium serpens
Hygroamblystegium -varium -fluviatile -humile -tenax,
Drepanocladus aduncus
Hygrohypnum luridum
Leptodictyum riparium
These are all on my list of interest, but they all look a lot like "Mossus normalus" to me.

20211108_124811.jpg 20211108_124827.jpg

20211108_124648.jpg
This one I am quite excited about, it was growing underwater intermingled with Fissidens :D
To me it looks like Plagiomnium, maybe even actual Pearl Moss?

20211108_124716.jpg
Another cup of bits and bobs growing together with Fissidens.
I have a few more cups of random things but this post is dragging on.

Thanks for the heads up @dw1305 , its a shame but I definitely dont want to risk killing the Fissidens I have collected.
My only concern is how well would they do in a cup of water in the kitchen for a while? Im concerned with the lack of circulation mainly. On one hand they were growing in pretty poor conditions when I found them, but on the other hand at least they had some circulation there, and Fissidens fontanus is classified as Advanced so I dont want to upset my esteemed guests.

After ive written this post ill replace the water in the cups with some from the aquarium, that should give the moss something to eat and buy me a little time while I decide what to do..

Hi all,
That is a good haul. You really need a microscope to get definitive IDs.
That looks a likely ID.
It has one relative that is used in aquaria, Plagiomnium cf. affine "Pearl moss".
Almost certainly not a Plagiominum sp.
Not sure what these are
I'm pretty sure they are "leafy liverworts".
This one I think is Pellia epiphylla (or neesiana), it was growing right above the water level just like the guide says
Is the water hard? We get it in the UK, but always in base poor streams. If the water is base rich? Then it will be Pellia endiviifolia, but they are almost identical.
To me it looks like Plagiomnium
That is a "leafy liverwort".
My only concern is how well would they do in a cup of water in the kitchen for a while?
They should be fine for several weeks.

cheers Darrel

Almost certainly not a Plagiominum sp.
Ohh! That changes everything! Just so im getting this right, Plagiomnium cf. affine "Pearl moss". is not Plagiomnium?

Im just a bit confused still, because at the bottom of the link it says:

References and further reading:
Wilstermann-Hildebrand, Maike & Muth, Heiko (2011): Vom „Perlenmoos“ – zwei foliose Lebermoose sind indentifiziert. Amazonas 35, Mai/Juni 2011.

translates to "two foliose liverworts are identified."

I dont have that copy of Amazonas, so I dont know what the article contains further.

If the Pearl moss is not Plagiomnium then my wishful dreams of keeping Plagiomnium undulatum is out the window :angelic: I dont want to throw just any old moss into the tank, that seems pointless and a collossal waste of time, so all the ones I figured I could test have to at least have a relative that is ok underwater, otherwise there is no reason.

I'm pretty sure they are "leafy liverworts".
Ah, that looks more right. Ive just gone through the entire Jungermannia section again but its eyewatering work.

Is the water hard? We get it in the UK, but always in base poor streams. If the water is base rich? Then it will be Pellia endiviifolia, but they are almost identical.
We dont have Pellia endiviifolia here, but I would guess that we trend on the neutral to acidic side based on how our tapwater usually is.
How do you reckon it will fare? It seems Pellia endiviifolia is a little bit more demanding than ordinary mosses, but im sure you all know how optimistic I am about my plant growing skills.

Thanks so much for looking over the mosses for me :D

Yesterday I got about 90% done setting up the autodoser, the only problem is that the last 10% of the job is doing the calibration and I find it to be such a royal pain in the ass.
So last night I decided that I would do it today, which of course I did not ;)

Instead I have serviced one of the filters, since they have both been untouched for like 6 months. Everything was good in there, smelled very nice and earthy.
6 months is probably the longest they should go unserviced in my setup, I had noticed the flow seemed a bit slower.
I really like having two filters, I dont think ill ever want to go back to just one on a big tank.
The prefilter, coarse, and fine sponges got a bit of a pressurewash under the tap, I know its not technically correct to do it like that but its just so effective at getting the dirt particles out.
The medium sponge was just scrunched gently in the filter water and ceramic media sloshed a bit up and down, and that was that.
I reckon it was okay to do it that way, the prefilter and coarse sponge is mostly for mechanical filtration, and the fine sponge will affect the flow too much if it doesnt get cleaned properly I think.
So even if it was a bit of a big cleaning for one filter, I should hopefully get away with it since there is another filter left entirely untouched.
Im thinking ill do the other one in about a week and a half.

After that I removed the zip ties from the wood and arranged them a little bit nicer. I put in a third bit of wood as well and did a whole lot of rearranging of the plants.
Somehow I ran out of space very quickly, despite having the same amount of plants as when I started rearranging. Not sure how that happened.. :sour:
Then my energy ran out and I just focused on putting the rest of the plants somewhere they will be okay to wait while I recharge my energy bar :dead:

Sorry about the cloudiness, its just GH powder I added to the top-up water after the filter service.

20211109_204520.jpg

20211109_204520 2.jpg

@Wookii was right about negative space, I definitely need to remove plants from around the pink areas, just need to figure out where im gonna put em.. 🤔
Im thinking I need a fourth bit of wood somewhere around the orange line to make the triangle flow a bit better.
I think I should fill in a bit at the top left and right, but keep a little bit of a dip in the horizon as shown by the blue line.
And the yellow area looks wrong to me, I dont know what plants would look good and grow well here, I plonked some moss and tripartita there just for the time being.
..Oh and im not a 100% on the placement of the leftmost wood either :bored: It might need some tweaking or something more drastic..

I will let it sit like this for a bit and see how I feel about it, it should become clearer with time. Im happy to be one step closer to something I like though (despite what it sounds like) :happy:

PS: The Hydrocotyle verticillata seems pleased, sending out a lot of little runners with tiny umbrellas. And the Pinnatifida is not melting and is putting out new sideshoots :woot:
Maybe the third time IS the charm?

Last edited:
I grabbed this shot for another thread but might as well put it up here as well.
I cleared up the sandy areas a bit and then promptly filled them in again with some of the native mosses.

A lot of them were growing already in the cups, so thats promising.
The thing about testing moss species especially is that they dont just have to survive underwater, they have to thrive and I would preferably like to see them survive through the slightly higher summer temperatures as well before I conclude anything about their suitability.

The big mossy thing on the right is Fissidens bryoides on a coconut, then the medium mossy rock infront of the cave area is Fissidens osmundoides, and the two little buddies to the left is F. adianthoides and F. dubius respectively. All the tiny stones have various mystery mosses on them. I still have left to get the Fontinalis in the tank, and a few other things.
The Fissidens-es-es have rotated their tips towards the light, and I hope to see little shoots emerging soon through the net. All four were found growing properly underwater, so I kinda expect them to do okay in a tank, provided I dont keep them too hot. Currently running winter temperatures at 23 C.

All the other plants look to be doing well, the Sagittaria is putting out some thick new leaves which is nice to see. Blyxa is still recovering from the abuse and not looking all that, hopefully they will come back to their former size once they get some momentum. Pogostemon helferi also still picking up speed, I think it had been in the 1-2-grow cup for a bit too long, so the shoots were translucent and green, and it has spent a little bit of time to grow new shoots with the right color.

20211115_203622(0).jpg

Lazy picture dump sunday :couchpotato:

My last picture almost looked like someone had intentionally made a decent scape, and then I went and ruined it on friday somehow 🤔
20211121_125852.jpg

I was just gonna do a good sized water change, but then I decided I should first get rid of all the debris and dead plant material that had gathered up in the nooks and crannies over the past months. One thing led to another and then suddenly all the plants were out in buckets and I was thorougly vacuuming everywhere.
I ran into some trouble with the wood and couldnt get it positioned back exactly how I had it.
I think I also put the plants back in a little bit more efficiently, because it suddenly looks much more sparse.
Ah well, im sure I can get the lush look again eventually.

I did do a trim of around 1/3 of the Bolbitis leaves, they had some BBA on them and id rather give the plant some room to make new ones.
Aside from that, there is very minimal algae, in fact I still havent cleaned the glass of the tank since I set it up, which was what, april/may? Pretty damn good if you ask me.

Individual plant updates:

20211121_125914.jpg 20211121_125923.jpg
Hydrocotyle verticillata is putting out a bunch of new little toadstools, they have a wonderful size and really add contrast to the look with their slightly turquoise green color.
My SO really likes the look of this plant as well, which is a nice bonus.
Not having any issues with this plant so far, even though the pot I received was, well, not exactly Tropica style brimming with plantlets.
There were just a few lanky sprigs and half the leaves had broken in transit, but I just needed a small amount to get my umbrella colony going.

20211121_125934.jpg
Sagittaria still growing nicely, it doesnt seem to mind the substrate at all. The shrimp and snails are picking off the old damaged leaves in an orderly fashion, which means I dont have to do any work hehe :couchpotato: The patch and location is prone to collecting a lot of debris, I think it will be better once I spread it out over the tank, then it wont be such a trap for stuff.

20211121_125959.jpg

Fissidens bryoides looks to be growing okay on the coconut, I see little shoots coming up, although they are hard to capture on camera. They seem a little bit thin but im not sure if its just a phase, predation or something else.

20211121_130039.jpg 20211121_130100.jpg 20211121_130052.jpg
Assortment of mystery mosses, the rest of the Fissidens species, and a grouping of Fontinalis. I expect most of the Fontinalis samples to grow out looking exactly the same, which is good because then I can remove some of the pebbles and make more room. There are no shoots coming out yet, but its early days still.
I also got the clump of P. helferi split up and spread out, I wanted to let it establish some growing tips first before disturbing it.
The susswassertang needs a haircut, its shedding all over the tank, and I realise I dont know exactly how one is supposed to trim it.
Is it a snip snip type of deal or do I have to retie it?

20211121_130022.jpg

Sir Snootenpoot is on probation after I caught him one afternoon chowing down on my Blyxa :sour:
He was eating the older growth, but I didnt quite agree that it was so bad that it needed to go quite yet, and I dont know if he was planning on stopping once he munched himself further in.
I bought only one snail in the first place precisely for this reason, because at least some of them eat plants, and I also had heard conflicting advice wether they did ok in neutral water.
Neutral water for sure has been fine, his shell has good solid growth. For the plants, well the jury is still out.

I shifted the Tiger crypt out into this corner with the Blyxa, I couldnt resist pulling it up a bit so I could see the roots and rhizome, even though I shouldnt have. The long rhizome it had from the shop is gone, seems like it has absorbed it. It had some nice white roots under there, I hope it wont take great offense at my little peek. I think this corner will make a good home for it, it gets decent flow, medium light and I can dedicate the space to the Tiger and move away any plants that get too pushy. IF it should feel like growing a lot or spreading, then there will be room for that as well.

I finally got the Osmocote from german Amazon, so I can whip up some little root tabs for it to see if that makes it happier. Also bought some red clay, the online store sold only 10 kilos as a minimum, and the postman was concerned it would break the mailbox off the wall. At least I will have enough red clay for the rest of my life? 😅
I was thinking covering the Osmocote pellets in a bit of clay, to help keep the released nutrients from entering the watercolumn.
I would like to dry the clay a bit before I put it in the tank, but im not sure the Osmocote will tolerate even lightly drying in the oven..?
Airdrying is of course also an option, but not as satisfying for impatient folk like me

20211121_130235.jpg

I got the poor little sprigs of Hygrophila polysperma planted finally, they are not recovering like I have expected, very pale still.
This is one of many plants who I get the impression are hungry, all of the java ferns are also continuing to shed old leaves in a nitrate hungry sort of way, and this and other clues makes me think I should up my macros. It could also be that the amount of iron that was sufficient before, is no longer sufficient with the increase in plantmass.
I still havent calibrated my doser, so dosing manually including catch-up every few days, not ideal :sick:
My TDS is not increasing much, which supports my gut feeling.

To the left in the previous picture are the only two leaves that are left of my Anubias coffeefolia 😢 I took it out hoping to propagate it the other day, and a bunch of leaves fell off.
I discovered the rhizome had rotted greatly in a short amount of time, and I couldnt cut all of it off without having nothing left. So there is a small brown patch on the remaining rhizome.
20211117_191612.jpg 20211117_191434.jpg
Should I toss it in case it is contagious?

20211121_130153.jpg 20211121_130202.jpg
Bucephalandra sp Red finally looking a little bit red at the stem, and putting out new interestingly khaki colored leaves. Some of the oldest leaves are not in great condition, I know.
I dont think you can trim off every slightly iffy leaf off buces, you soon wont have any plant left. It seems to me that buce is a long term management plan type of plant.

20211121_130243.jpg
Pinnatifida has shed some of the emersed grown leaves now, its err.. looking pretty bare. Some little shoots on the bottom doing something, who knows.
But if this try also fails then I will have to stop trying, its getting ridiculous.

I havent commented on all the bubbles in the Full Tank Shot, my shrimp colony contracted Scutariella at some point during the summer.
Unless it is something that exists in the tank at all times like certain types of bacteria, then it must have come in with the damn Amano shrimp.
So after procrastinating for way too long I finally dosed the tank with Praziquantel yesterday, and for this medication it is recommened to oxygenate the water well during treatment.
It seemed to work instantaneously, the affected shrimp just rubbed the parasites right off their noses as soon as the meds were in, and I havent seen any Scutariella since.
They lay eggs in the shrimps carapace, so I will repeat the treatment for a few weeks to get rid of this disgusting thing for good.

20211121_130335.jpg 20211121_130339.jpg

So yeah, im running a limewood airstone and the feisty eheim venturi at the moment.
Aside from the noise (which the SO has already complained about), I quite like the velocity im getting with the venturi.
Now that the top left corner is more densely planted, the flow was having a hard time going around to meet the water from the front left outlet, but no problem with this velocity.
It might be a bit violent for the plants at the back, although im sure there are two extremely happy filter shrimp getting their faces blasted back there somewhere.

20211121_130314.jpg
Ill leave you with this really crappy photo of the Super Red and Crassicaulis duo, it looks pretty nice in real life, it was just impossible to get a good shot with all the bubbles going infront of it 😁

Last edited:
With the holiday frenzy over with, its a good time to update the journal.
The balance of my tank has shifted quite a lot, most of (although not all) the plants are growing better, but ive also had a quite large flush of algae of all kinds.
Including what looks like some types of brown algae, very peculiar to get this in a mature tank.
The algae selection includes BBA on leaves, green thread algae, brown algae smudges on the glass and on some leaves, and algae in the sand at the front.
Plus green spot algae on hardscape as well as at least three different kinds of strange funguseseses/fungi growing on select branches of the wood.

The algae flush doesnt seem to be passing on its own, so I will need to figure out what is causing it so I can fix it.
Unfortunately for me a lot of things were tweaked or added, so its not an easy task.

Here is the tank in all its crusty glory
20220101_195042.jpg

My toadstools are growing well, they seem to have settled in and I think they will be on board for the long run.
20220101_195153.jpg 20220101_195207.jpg
Some of the leaves should really be trimmed off, but ive been wearing sweaters constantly and havent been bothered to roll up my sleeves yet 😁:couchpotato:

On the rock to the right in the first pic is some dying Scapania undulata, I found it growing green and lush in a creek, however from my research and the state of this sample it doesnt seem like it can tolerate aquarium temperatures, even the modest 23 C my tank is running. Its a shame, its very pretty in the wild.

On the right in the second pic are various pebbles of mystery mosses, all of them got a heavy trim a few weeks ago, and any that had died were removed. Most of them are growing questionably and very stringy, although a couple are growing in a weeping fashion downwards. Aside from collecting the mosses, which is a very hands on process, the whole moss experiment is wonderfully low maintenance once they are in the tank. Its just a matter of waiting and seeing what happens. Right now im not convinced the project will be very successful, but does it really matter? I dont think so. Sometimes I just get the urge to try (and fail at) something on my own.

My wild caught fissidens species are not very happy.
Im quite sad about this. I was fairly confident that they would take but they are growing so stringy.
20211214_131956.jpg
This is Fissidens bryoides before the trim. Decently green but very thin looking.
I gave it a trim hoping it would grow back more thickly, sometimes plants get confused when their growing conditions change drastically, and the initial growth is weird.
For most established aquarium mosses trimming is almost always good.
The wild Fissidens doesnt seem to think the same, algae has taken hold amongst it and the second batch of shoots are even more poorly than the first one.
20220101_195231.jpg
Maybe it would have been wiser to replant the shoots from the first batch and discard the stuff under the netting. Its too late for that now, but I will probably try it next time. If the Fissidens fails I will try again with samples taken in the height of summer, the temperatures then should be much closer to aquarium temps than it was when I collected these ones right before the frost came.

My buces all seem happy, I can tell that they are getting more food now.
20220101_195107.jpg
This is the Black Ventii in the center, its really hard to capture the beauty of this variety on camera, it reflects strongly with blue, green, and red iridescence.
The base color is a dark blackish green with new shoots a lovely olive color. I see I have two very dominant shoots now, I need to spread them out a bit more, otherwise they will stop the growth of the shaded shoots.
The iridescence is just under my relatively normal-spectrum lights. I have a pet dislike for sellers of buce who take pictures under extreme purple spectrum lights, making their buces look all kinds of crazy colors. Sure, yes they will look all purple and magical but it also makes your hand and your aquasoil look purple so who is really dealing with reality here?

20220101_195114.jpg
My Fontinalis samples have finally made it through the netting, it seems the large nature of these species meant the shoots had a very hard time navigating through the holes.
They are due for a trim soon, otherwise I think they will grow very scraggly. I was planning to just chop off the tips and let them branch and regrow, but in light of the Fissidens maybe I would be better off replanting the shoots? I should definitely use a more open method of securing the moss if I do that. Then again it seems more vigorous than the Fissidens... Ill need to give it some more thought, please post what you think I should do in this case.

20220101_195131.jpg
Pogostemon helferi has transitioned nicely from the weird 1-2-grow cup I got, although it could be a darker green and slightly more dense.
The Sagittaria is still happily trucking on, its a bit dirty but overall health is good and its spreading.
The two smudges on the glass is some of the new brown looking algae. Its not super easy to rub off, which I find interesting.

My substrate has turned into a total mess, with detritus, crud and poop everywhere. Simultaneously I have had an explosion in the amount of snails and shrimp. The snail explosion could probably be frightening to some, but I have chosen to take it as a sign of better tank health. When the tank was neglected for months over summer, the tank almost ran out of calcium, which is only a realistic possibility when you have fairly soft water to begin with. Meaning its not a real risk for most UK tap water users.
Im confident calcium was running very low as most of the Physa snails were getting very eroded shells and actually dying from it. The population didnt seem to be replacing the lost adults either. I also wasnt seeing any baby shrimp at all. Im hoping the snails will reach equilibrium soon, as right now they are absolutely everywhere. I hope they are earning their keep by keeping the tank clean. A while back, when I first introduced the Physa snails, I did notice an increase in tank cleanliness. It seems to me a factor that is often overlooked.

Another reason why the snails are booming is that I have rehomed some of the livestock. The two fishsticks were growing very large, and I felt they would be happier in a dedicated setup. They were feeling increasingly cramped and knocking loose a lot of plants or getting stuck while trying to navigate through the tank. A nice local fellow took them as well as Sir Snootenpoot. I was very upset to let the good Sir Snoot go, he had developed a real taste for Blyxa and other plants suddenly. He had a lot of personality and I will miss him.
The only stock in the tank now is ~6 Otocinclus cocama and ~13 Boraras brigittae, plus snails and shrimp.
I think a very light stocking is a good choice for my circumstances.

The fishsticks have probably been eating some of the snails as well as stirred up the sand, so I think their removal is one of the causes of the tanks dirty state.
I dont have anything that disturbs the substrate right now, I should maybe get a small shoal of corydoras again, but I want hastatus instead of pygmaeus and they are difficult to source. My otocinclus dont seem to like to be alone on the bottom, and are hiding a lot more.

20220101_195311.jpg 20220101_195316.jpg
Thread algae in the water column and a lot of BBA, shown here on the older leaves of the Bolbitis, although new leaves are wide and look healthy.
Nesaea/Ammannia is growing fairly straight but the stem and leaves are thinner than how I have grown it before.
Super Red is Super Unhappy, I havent the faintest clue what makes this plant tick to be honest. The only thing I know is that it really doesnt like to be trimmed in my tank, but that doesnt tell me a great deal.

20220101_195327.jpg
I made homemade Osmocote root tabs with two balls of Osmocote covered in a ~2mm layer of clay, which I let air dry. I inserted a few of these root tabs around the Cryptocoryne striolata Tiger. This was a while ago, around the same time as the algae flush, and is a potential cause in my mind. The Blyxa seems quite a lot happier now, but if that is because of the root tabs, the removal of the snail that kept eating them or that they have simply just gotten properly rooted now, I wont be able to say.
The crypt is continuing its nonchalant indifference for now.

20220101_195346.jpg
Hygrophila polysperma is regaining its size, although it is still looking a little red and sunburned.

Some other potential causes for the algae:
03.11.21 the front light was increased from 10% to 15% to ensure enough light to the plants at the very front, the part of the tank furthest from any lightsource.
The blue channel was increased to be the same level as the rest, instead of just a fraction.
20.11.21 I added the airstone and the diffuser, but this shouldnt contribute to algae unless CO2 levels were higher in the tank than in the atmosphere previously?
10.12.21 I had run out of ferts and mixed up a new batch with a general increase in fert levels based on plant responses.
My notes say "Plants seemed hungry under previous regime. Double dosed at the end, better but not perfect. Java ferns shedding leaves, hungry plants not taking off. TDS barely increasing. New recipe around 1/5 EI"
The autodoser is up and running again, very good for my consistency deficiency.

Dosing levels here for sake of consistency:
Macro weekly target:
6 ppm NO3
0.6 ppm PO4
6 ppm K
0.5 ppm Mg

Micro weekly target:
0.06 Fe DTPA
0.12 Fe EDTA
0.026 Mn
0.016 Zn
0.015 B
0.0021 Mo
0.0033 Cu

I think the changes in the light and/or the Osmocote are far more likely to be the cause of the algae than the increase in ferts.
I will change the light back and see if that fixes it, and if that doesnt do the trick I will consider trying to remove the root tabs.

Oh yeah and the pinnatifida keeled over and died again, sorry @Karmicnull :hungover:
I cant grow this plant, I dont think it gets enough CO2 in this setup.

Scutariella has reappeared on the shrimp two times now. The first time was expected, since the parasite lays eggs inside the shrimp that hatch at a later point. The medication doesnt kill the eggs. But I see parasites on the shrimp again today, so I dosed a third round. I may need to do this in a proper controlled fashion rather than just dose whenever I see them reappear. I think I did it this stupid way because I was unsure of the correct interval. I may have been dosing slightly too late to prevent them from laying eggs again and then its an eternal merry go round unless I shorten the interval. I dont know when I dosed the second round, it appears I didnt write it down anywhere, shame on me.. The first dose was 20.11.21 and the third today, 01.01.22. The second dose was probably sometime mid december then.

I think that was most of it, wish you all a good new year and let me know your thoughts if you can 😊

Soo I have just placed an order with CO2 Art... :shh:
Ive fought off the increasing amount of dark whisperings for over a year but resistance has proved futile.
Im really excited to try hybrid tech, low-medium light and low-medium CO2 :geek:
Looking forward to seeing how the plants respond to the change in just carbon, hopefully grow my existing plants more robustly and being able to grow some more difficult species. I want to be able to propagate and distribute some rarer species and I think this will make it much easier to do that.

I plan to remain a low tech peasant at heart and hope the readers of this journal are not too disappointed with me 😘

12096146_1201692026511034_7704860002503871349_n.jpg

Im really excited to try hybrid tech, low-medium light and low-medium CO2 :geek:
Hi @Hufsa

It might be interesting and useful to know if you're able to quantify the lighting and CO2. The latter of these is not too difficult - be that the humble DC colour, or pH + KH values (despite its shortcomings). Lighting is not so 'easy' unless you own a PAR meter and spectrometer. Or, you could try one of the many apps that are possibly better than nothing. I've used this a few times:

JPC

Back