• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Concerns about non-flat surface and rimmed tank (River Reef 94)

uk_sjo

So.. following on from my welcome thread.. I am assessing my worktop where I intend to sit my new tank.. Unfortunately it doesn't appear to be completely flat.. you would have thought a £800 staved kitchen worktop would have been planed, but apparently not..

So the tank is of floating base construction (I think?), with a plastic rim around the bottom edges. The instructions from Interpet categorically state 'do not place on polystyrene'. From what I can gather through the noise/opinions on the internet, this is because of concerns about pressure ending up on the under-side of the floating base glass..

If this is true, then I am wondering if a 5mm thick sheet of neoprene (or hdpe, whatever), would either fix my unevenness, or remove the issue perceived with polystyrene. Unfortunately I am unable to contact anyone at Interpet to get advice, although I suspect they'll give me a blanket answer of 'mount it on a flat surface with nothing underneath', just to cover their backside.

I need to move the tank to a different surface just to validate that it itself is flat, but on the assumption it is, the gap I currently have on my office desk is prominent on one of the front corner of the tank, and is about 4-5 sheets of paper deep. I've tried moving/rotating the tank around, and the gap does move inconsistently depending on where I place it, so it may be a combination of non-flat surface but potentially the tank frame/base too.

At this moment I feel my only option is to change this tank out for a traditional frameless tank with suitable poly/rubber base to support :(

1709036511270.png

Hmm, not had this sort of aquarium before, would you be able to test putting some foam under the tank, filling it with water then using a spirit level to check levelling?

The issue isn't so much that it isn't level, it's that the surface isn't perfectly flat.

Right, but the whole point of mats under aquariums or "self levelling mats" as they're sometimes referred as, to help with an aquarium being on an uneven surface. Use a decent quality/thickness matt, and check your water level is level afterwards. The only potential issue is the different method of construction, sadly I am neither the manufacturer or a structural engineer, so this is where my advice runs out :(

At this moment I feel my only option is to change this tank out for a traditional frameless tank with suitable poly/rubber base to support :(

If you can do so without losing much money, could be a solid option and you could have a much more visually appealing tank if that matters to you.

Right, but the whole point of mats under aquariums or "self levelling mats" as they're sometimes referred as, to help with an aquarium being on an uneven surface. Use a decent quality/thickness matt, and check your water level is level afterwards. The only potential issue is the different method of construction, sadly I am neither the manufacturer or a structural engineer, so this is where my advice runs out :(
Thanks. The water level should/will be level (i've checked this across the worktop with a spirit level). It's just uneven, annoyingly. Really the worktop needs to be planed, although there's no guarantee that it won't warp slightly over time (fixings in the wall loosening, floorboards sinking etc).

If you can do so without losing much money, could be a solid option and you could have a much more visually appealing tank if that matters to you.
Whilst not a super-clean optiwhite glass box on a pedestal, this was perfect in that it's an AIO tank, with a lid/lights (to keep the cats out!). I can probably return the tank, it was purchased locally, and has a slight scratch on the outside of the glass.

How “uneven” is it? Are we talking a deflection of 1mm or 10mm? Over what sort of distance? Is the worktop adequately supported?

As long as the surface doesn’t flex under weight (it shouldn’t!) and the deflection across the width of the tank is minimal I don’t really think you have a problem.

However, if you’re really worried, a piece of 12mm ply on top of 5 or 6mm closed cell foam will make a flat base that will absorb any high or uneven spots on the surface.

The problem arises with large aquariums, the weight may compromise structural integrity. Not in this case. I also think it's fine. However, I'd also place something under it, preferably watertight, because that looks like a nice wooden tabletop and no aquarist has ever managed to avoid splashing indefinitely...

How “uneven” is it? Are we talking a deflection of 1mm or 10mm? Over what sort of distance? Is the worktop adequately supported?

As long as the surface doesn’t flex under weight (it shouldn’t!) and the deflection across the width of the tank is minimal I don’t really think you have a problem.

However, if you’re really worried, a piece of 12mm ply on top of 5 or 6mm closed cell foam will make a flat base that will absorb any high or uneven spots on the surface.
It seems like the area towards the front-right of the tank is a low spot on the worktop - potentially up to 1-2mm. Although just checking now it's a bit hard to tell, as the rear-left corner seems to be in the a bit too (enough to slide a couple of sheets of paper under). I guess my biggest concern is that it's curved glass, and only 4mm. A regular tank would have a bit of movement in the silicone joints which would probably be fine in this scenario.. Maybe i'm over thinking it. Yes the workshop is well supported, it's sitting on top of two drawer units and fully baton'd around the wall.

The ply/foam idea is good - it's an irregular shape though with the curved front. There is a stand available, I wonder if they'll sell me just the top panel as a repair/replacement?.. Interpet are very difficult to get hold of though, and they have no consumer support line anymore that I have found.

1709052406609.png

Hi all,

I'd pop it on a <"yoga mat"> (or similar), I honestly don't think it is a problem.

cheers Darrel
Well, you can see from the photo above I have one ready (well, HDPE foam mat)..... I just wanted Interpet to say "Yeah sure, that'll be fine!"... Wishful thinking.

The problem arises with large aquariums, the weight may compromise structural integrity. Not in this case. I also think it's fine. However, I'd also place something under it, preferably watertight, because that looks like a nice wooden tabletop and no aquarist has ever managed to avoid splashing indefinitely...
The issue I have, and whilst I appreciate the opinion, almost everything on the internet states 'do not put anything under a rimmed/floating base tank'.. It puts doubt in the back of your mind, ya know?..

Worktop is polyurethane sealed.. plenty gets spilled on it already :)

I don't see how having the whole base of the tank supporting the weight is worse than having it suspended by the edges...

I meant to say that I don't see why they advise against using polystyrene like most tanks use.

The frame is made of plastic which will flex naturally and absorb tiny differences around it. If it were my tank I would fill it up. Do it slowly, bit by bit if you wanted and observe what happens. If at any point you think it’s not right, drain it and adjust.

I think the problem here is confidence - not just the immediate but also over time.

This is not helpful, but if I (personally) had any doubts, then I would just pivot to something else. The alternative is to a) fill it with water and wait 3-6 months to test or b) go with it and hope that stresses dont cause an issue.

(I an overtly cautious by nature - just so you know!!!)

So Interpet did get back to me...

Please reference the guarantee – the aquarium must be on a flat level surface.

Its not just about keeping the glass itself away from the surface below with the plastic trim but to ensure its completely level when in contact with the aquarium. This is why we do not recommend putting anything under the aquarium and to use an aquarium cabinet instead. Which is designed for this.

Is there not a way the 1mm surface can be corrected?

I guess what's the definition of flat. I doubt a piece of laminated ply or chip board is going to be perfectly flat, at least from an engineering perspective!

Back