• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bugs you might encounter in your aquarium

I'll leave this here for future reference.

Screenshot 2022-08-10 at 01.58.32.png

Screenshot 2022-08-10 at 01.59.20.png

COPEPODS, THE IMORTALS.
TWO DIFFERENT EGGS.

Copepods have evolved to have two types of egg.
Standard eggs and resting eggs.
Resting eggs can live for 3 months, frozen, dried at 25 degrees, pass through fish guts.
For 2 years I have tried to kill them all.
Electrocution, high level of chlorine, UVC lamps, hot water with double strength vinger.
I even had them before, being 15 Years.
Delivered by tap water supplier and only started 2.5 years ago.
Now I filter tap water with. 5 micron filter and a faucet filter before entering tanks.
Copper sulfate pentahydrate solution 👌
.2 ppm is about safe. So I hit the tanks with 40 ppm.No fish, and the plants let were dead anyway.
After cleaning filters, they then soak in bucket with copper sulfate pentahydrate solution.
I have a plant tank room no fish and Copepods eat plant ( I can't sell them).
Water supplier response is nothing to see water meet all Quality levels .
Will this work or any other ideas.

Now have do I remove or kill resting eggs 🥚

Thanks Jason (I have no hair now)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231224_073554_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231224_073554_Gallery.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 56
COPEPODS, THE IMORTALS.
TWO DIFFERENT EGGS.

Copepods have evolved to have two types of egg.
Standard eggs and resting eggs.
Resting eggs can live for 3 months, frozen, dried at 25 degrees, pass through fish guts.
For 2 years I have tried to kill them all.
Electrocution, high level of chlorine, UVC lamps, hot water with double strength vinger.
I even had them before, being 15 Years.
Delivered by tap water supplier and only started 2.5 years ago.
Now I filter tap water with. 5 micron filter and a faucet filter before entering tanks.
Copper sulfate pentahydrate solution 👌
.2 ppm is about safe. So I hit the tanks with 40 ppm.No fish, and the plants let were dead anyway.
After cleaning filters, they then soak in bucket with copper sulfate pentahydrate solution.
I have a plant tank room no fish and Copepods eat plant ( I can't sell them).
Water supplier response is nothing to see water meet all Quality levels .
Will this work or any other ideas.

Now have do I remove or kill resting eggs 🥚

Thanks Jason (I have no hair now)

Seems a lot of effort to go through to eliminate what amounts to effect tank janitors and free fish food!

Looks like some kind of Oligochaet (same group as blackworms). They are probably beneficial to have in the substrate, and should make for good fish food as well.

This is a wonderfully informative thread that is both nice and horrifying.

Regretfully, I got another mystery to add to the list :c

They are small black dots that sit on the glass bottom of my tank eating waste, and visually pepper silk plants when viewed close. They do not climb glass walls. Using digital calipers, they are somewhere around the 0.5mm range, if that, so they are quite small. Here is a video under a cellphone attachment microscope at 60% or so magnification

I have tried, and they SURVIVE...
-Scrubbing the tank in dawn soap ((Probably missed a spot in the filter))
-Seachem ParaGuard
-Seachem MetroPlex
-Copper Power Green - 1.40 ppm ((Hanna checker))
-Seachem Cupramine - 0.25 ppm ((Hanna checker))

They may be harmless, good for the tank etc etc... but they freak me out a lot because they look like mites and I don't want to put my arms inside the aquarium. Is there a medication that will kill them and not fish that can be purged enough I can put inverts back in after water changes and charcoal? Is there a fish that is small enough to eat them that Angelfish can't catch in a 120? Is there at least confirmation they are not parasites that will harm my fish? I am really unsettled and wish I was ignorant :c Out of sight out of mind...

Bonus Question - I think the copper killed these from my tank, but a positive ID could still make me more comforted if they come back. They were the size of powdered sugar haze on the glass, and this is 200% or so magnification. Makes me think of little planaria, but the size and speed of movement throws me off.

Thank you all for your time! It is greatly appreciated so very much.

Did you ever find what these where? I think I have something similar in my tank and can't identify it.

I changed the filter floss a few days ago and left it in the bathtub... today when I removed it, I noticed a black dust bellow and then noticed the dust was moving! :eek:🤣

There are 2 of them in this pic
Screenshot_20240613_233212_Photos.jpg

Back