• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Best t5 tubes thoughts

Yeah, keep us informed. Your tank looks in good shape as it is so a little bit of tweaking with your co2 injection and delivery there's some good things coming here.

If using two filters with CO2 injectors you have to arrange it like this.
upload_2018-2-28_16-38-19.png

Thanks Ian I will be doing this at a later date when the wallet allows !
2 filters, 1 diffuser for now.
Thankyou.

Are you getting the bigger filter? Maybe worth your while putting the big filter on this tank and the two smaller ones on the cichlid tank. You may find you get better/even co2 distribution if the co2 is only getting brought in off one filter. The setup Ian shows above, if you could imaging doing that with only one inline diffuser you can see that half of the tank won't be getting good co2. If you go down the route of 2 filters it may be in your interests to have a diffuser on the tank rather than inline maybe?

image.png
I see what you mean mate yes ordered another filter yesterday.
I've just come in from work took a ph reading this morning at 5:30 it was 6.93
At 4 pm it's only 6.29 so I'm not getting the 1.0 drop the co2 has been on since 10:30 lights on at 13:30.
I take it im not getting good co2 diffusion ?
I'm using an inline diffuser from co2 supermarket

Last edited:
image.png
Thinking of 2 of these in tank diffusers one in each bottom corner on the back wall. What's your thoughts ?

Hello,
There is no point performing haphazard measuring and planning changes based on the results. You'll need to dedicate time and patience to optimizing your methods. In-line devices are generally more effective than in-tank devices. The only reason I could think of where the reverse is true would be if the inlet spud of your in-line device has a smaller diameter than your filter outlet spud or if the filter return line is somehow restricted.

You need to step back and take a deep breath. Whatever method you used to get the tank to the state is is in the photo you showed in post number 8 is clearly valid, so I don't see any need to start dismantling things.

Thanks become victims of their own success. You could easily perform some pruning and free up some space for flow and that alone would be a good solution.

If you don't want to do that then you simply need to find a day you can dedicate to experimenting with the injection rate so that you get a good pH drop by lights on but that does not continue to saturate the water with so much CO2 that you cause discomfort to the fish. That will fine tune the CO2. Clean the filter and remove some media if it is chock full of media. That will improve your flow rate. Usually, only small changes are required to support continued growth and health.

Cheers,

Whatever method you used to get the tank to the state is is in the photo you showed in post number 8 is clearly valid

I totally agree, the guy was intending buying a filter anyway from what I can make out which won't harm any but I wouldn't be shelling out thinking he has to. The tank is tidy at this point, far better than many I've seen so I think a little bit of tweaking and trimming is all it needs. If he's getting the filter anyway I would go with the bigger filter and existing inline diffuser. Now the DC is lower down in the column if he works to that with some more realistic readings of co2 levels lower down in that tank I can see this curing the leaf loss at the bottom of the plants.

Just a quick update guys.
Secondary filter now on.
2 spray bars one on top of the other.
Only one inline diffuser injecting co2 on the lower spray bar.
Noticeable increase in flow co2 bubbles now hiting the front glass and being pushed to rear of tank.
I've been moving the Dc around the tank to check for dead spots 100mm from substrate. I think the 2 front corners are not bad but not as good as they could be, think i may have to fit a power head/circ pump.
Still not getting a 1.0 drop even after turning on the co2 by an hour early so now on 4 hours before lights on. I'm around 2 bubbles a second.
Maybe increase bubble count?
I did try to upload a video but won't let me and fotos you can't really see the flow/bubbles.

Cheers Lee.

Any pics? I wouldn't worry too much over the 1ph drop. Its one of those luxuries in life. Nice on the holiday brochure but I wouldn't like to live there. If you can you can, I couldn't get near a 1ph drop without upsetting some of my fish so just settle for whatever works for you and keep it constant.

Back