• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquatic Flower Compendium (ish)

Courtneybst

Hi everyone,

After reading a suggestion made by @dean in an old thread by @Tim Harrison , I thought I'd kick things off.

This thread aims to be a collection of photos of flowering aquatic plants that we often keep in aquaria.

Please feel free to contribute with photos of your aquatic plant flowers so others can see what they look like. I think it would also be good to provide a short snippet of information of your experience getting to that stage and a difficulty level (Easy, Medium, Hard - e.g. I'd say that Lindernia Rotundifolia is Easy to induce flowering since it requires little attention whereas Utricularia Graminifolia is Medium as it needs a little bit more time and care, and 'Hard' being reserved for things that rarely flower or have very specific requirements).

I've started off with a couple as they're the only two plants I have flowering at the moment. I will add more when they come up.

Last edited:
20D269EA-3CC2-4135-9375-CB0EF6E80CCF.jpeg

Rotala Rotundifolia (Blood Red variant)
Difficulty: Easy

This plant was taken as submerged cutting from my aquarium. I kept it moist as much as possible whilst it transitioned into emersed growth. It took several months to produce flowes but now flowers non stop.

A678DED4-AAC5-4058-B054-BA904CEC3610.jpeg

Hydrocotyle Verticillata
Difficulty: Easy

This plant was always an emersed plantlet and so adapted to the environment well. It's incredibly easy to flower and will do so very early on. The flowers are inconspicuous but beautiful and plentiful.

Did the anubias start underwater? I've had anubias flower underwater but the spathe got eaten immediately haha.

Well it started underwater for me! The tank must be 11 weeks old now so it’s definitely been submersed for that long, and this flower appeared about a week ago. It was a tropica pot so I assume would have been initially grown emersed! Interestingly I have some Buce budding too. Started adding extra Po4 3 weeks ago but no idea if that is related or just coincidental.
Received a lovely new Buce at the weekend, which arrived with two flowers already on it. Maybe it’s something in the air. 😊

Cryptocoryne Beckettii var. Petchii
Difficulty: Easy but requiring lots of patience. I just planted the plant in peat and then abandoned it for a year or so in a tub filled approximately 5cm with water. Lighting was a south facing window but recently I moved the plants under 12 hours of T5 lighting and this might have helped trigger it to flower as under natural light they usually flower around autumn.
IMG_0654.JPG

IMG_0653.JPG

Cryptocoryne Beckettii var. Petchii
Difficulty: Easy but requiring lots of patience. I just planted the plant in peat and then abandoned it for a year or so in a tub filled approximately 5cm with water. Lighting was a south facing window but recently I moved the plants under 12 hours of T5 lighting and this might have helped trigger it to flower as under natural light they usually flower around autumn.View attachment 183013
View attachment 183012
Beautiful!!

Is it persicaria or polygonum for São Paulo? I’ve got two sp that are meant to be both São Paulo but neither look exactly like photos.

hi, it's Persicaria. Christel Kasselmann identified it from the plant in the photo above.
I bought it as Persicaria Sao Paulo from Aquasabi a few years ago. Yeah there are several forms of P. hydropiperoides including a not very interesting leggy green plant. And there might be some Polygonum species that look similar too...

Hi all,
Is it persicaria or polygonum for São Paulo?
it's Persicaria. Christel Kasselmann identified it from the plant in the photo above.
I bought it as Persicaria Sao Paulo from Aquasabi a few years ago.
Persicaria hydropiperoidies
I think the genus Polygonum has recently been split into three (or more?) genera Persicaria, Fagopyrum, Fallopia etc. following DNA work. So I'm guessing that the updated genus will be Persicaria and presumably P. hydropiperoides is the correct species.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
ludwigia sp red in flower. the flowers closely resemble ludwigia palustris, but wild collected ludwigia palustris is never red like the one in the hobby. so I am guessing it's a hybrid or mutation.

IMG_2751.jpg

IMG_2753.jpg

Back