• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquascape Number 1 - Retro journal

A month on from a major pruning and everything growing back fast….. tank is still shrimp only but they seem very camera shy!

14410554929_38ab4aaa20.jpg

14410528848_8eedc659e2.jpg

Thanks for the positive comments…..it was supposed to be loosely based on a few gorges I have hiked around in the Yorkshire Dales and Snowdonia.

In mine and many of the other scapes on this forum much of the carefully place rock work gets totally obscured by plant growth ……perhaps less time thinking about where to place the rock and more time spent deciding which plants to place around them should be my plan next time!

Lovely looking tank. Fantastic rock work to start and you've grown it brilliantly.

Hey, your tank is the same size as mine - I reckon a 45p is great to learn the ropes with!

Thanks for the positive comments Mr T.

Glad I went for the 45cm tank for a first effort and resisted the urge to go for the 90cm …..a big pot of algae soup if you get it wrong! So far no algae issues with my tank and I am now playing with CO2 and light levels to try to slow down the growth (mosses are threatening to take over the scape) …..good practise ahead of planned 90cm tank for this autumn.

I am thinking about a root+rock scape for the new project….would be very happy if it came out anything like the one in your journal. I quite like the idea of having plenty of cover / hiding for fish as i think some of the minimalist scapes must leave the fish stressed when the lights are on full bore. Saying that my summer holidays are in the alps so may come back inspired to rocky scape with a plain green meadow surrounding it!

Back from the Alps …resisted the urge to collect a load of rocks for a mountain style scape. Scape in good shape after 2 weeks away but population of CRS decimated by hungry Ammanos ….. came home to find biggest ammano munching its way through a small CRS! I had not realised that this would be a problem but surfing the net I found plenty of other examples of this.

Paid a visit to the Green Machine today with the aim of 'just having a look around' as it is a good few months since I last visited. Ended out walking out with an Arcadia 15w LED light strip for the current tank and placing an order for a new 90cm tank!!!

I installed the LED unit tonight with the hope it would replace the 2x boyu 24w T5 units I currently have and make the tank look a little more minimalist. Quickly concluded that light level from this new unit seems roughly equivalent to 1x 24w unit so I now have a rather odd looking mix of both! The new unit is very narrow but does look sleek ….however the mounting leaves the unit vey close to the water surface and probably too close for my plants at the back of the scape that are now on the surface.

New 90cm tank ordered and should be with me in around 3 weeks …… countdown to the emptying of my bank balance begins….

I plan to do a journal from day 1 on this new scape in the journal section of the forum ...

So much for best intentions……..90cm scape started in the new year but not quite got round to putting in a journal as of yet. Plan to start this tomorrow in the journal section under the title 'big red rootscape'.

Back