Any runners out there?

Discussion in 'Off Topic / Chit-Chat' started by George Farmer, 6 Oct 2013.

1. George Farmer

George Farmer Founder Staff Member

Hi all,

Apart from aquascaping and photography I've recently (last 12 months) really go into running. I'm now the captain of my local team and we won the road race league this season! :D

I've got my first half-marathon (13 miles) next Sunday - The Great Eastern Run, which I'm hoping to run sub 1:30. I ran my first sub-40 min 10km race last week which was a real milestone for me. Next year I'm considering my first full marathon.

Are there any other runners out there? It's a fantastic stress reliever and great for helping to keep the weight down! I thoroughly recommend it. :)

Now I not only get excited about new species of aquarium plants becoming available, and new cameras, but new trainers and GPS devices too! lol

Cheers,
    George

drodgers and nickmcmechan like this.
  2. sa80mark

sa80mark Member

I used to do a lot back in my army days but not much now due to my back, now I mostly do a lot of cycling, keeps me trim but much less impact :)

George Farmer likes this.
  3. tekopikin

tekopikin Member

I was a very avid runner; I completed the 2010 Virgin London Marathon and lots of 10k runs. In March 2012 I had surgery to my foot which has put a stop to that for now - I've since taken up swimming. (I have sneaked in the odd 5k run now and then, quickly followed up with ice and anti-inflammatory medication). It really is very addictive and I agree with you a hundred percent it is indeed a stress reliever :D.
    Last week I got a letter in the post - I was successful in the ballot for the 2014 Virgin London Marathon!

4. Wallace

Wallace Member

I ran the London marathon in 2007, did no training whatsoever and it took me 6hrs and 20 mins.

I completed the first 13 miles in 2hrs 30 mins and then cramp set in and thy was that. A combo of running,walking, and crawling ensued for the remaining 13.2 miles.

Never again!

5. BigTom

BigTom Forum Moderator Staff Member

My girlfriend is hopelessly addicted. If she doesn't get in a good 8-10km daily she gets really frustrated.

I'm more of a sitter-downer :p

Henry, OllieNZ, Ian Holdich and 2 others like this.
  6. Alastair

Alastair Member

I did the manchester run 2 years ago and used to jog ever morning when id first get up but havent done any for a while. Just xc bike riding

7. Rich Jackson

Rich Jackson Member

I run off-road find the impact on tarmac hurts my feet! I race cyclocross and road time trials as well!

8. Ian Holdich

Ian Holdich Global Moderator Staff Member

I run...to the pub.

Ryan Thang To and OllieNZ like this.
  9. devo

devo Member

I've been running now for more than 30 years. Always off-road (it seems daft to live in Cumbria and run on the road). I used to be reasonably good at it, but now I do it because it is still enjoyable and I've always done it.

10. tekopikin

tekopikin Member

Ha ha ha...that's exactly what happened to me back in 2010; I just didn't realise how much training you had to put in to cover that distance and didn't start 'training' till mid-February. The longest distance I ever covered while training was 11 miles before my ankled packed in so I quit training fearing an injury would spell the end for my run and just went for the big kahuna on the day finishing in 5:47:27 :inpain:

11. krazypara3165

krazypara3165 Member

I used to be before I left the army, since then my fitness has rapidly decreased. just signed up for the northwest hell runners event at delamere so that has given me some motivation to start running again!

12. George Farmer

Nice one guys. :)

13. Monk d'Wally de Honk

Monk d'Wally de Honk Member

I don't run but have read Murukami's What I Talk About When I Talk About Running. Well worth reading.

14. George Farmer

Just ordered a copy. Thanks, Joe. :)

15. Richard Dowling

Richard Dowling Member

I've recently got into running, until my supination, bad knees, bad hips and bad back decided to ruin things. Finding a sport shop that knows what they are talking about regarding running shoes is almost impossible!

I'm pretty much out of action already!

16. kirk

kirk Member

I used to be a long distance runner many years ago, my wife was too. I'm good at running up dept, running taps that's about all now.:) I've spent too long pumping iron and not doing cardiovascular unless it's spin I join in, I blame running for my knackered knees.

17. foxfish

foxfish Member

Same here, it all seemed such a good and natural idea at the time, now I feel too old for my age, hobbling around and complaining about all my joins creaking!
    Having said that I might not be here now if I hadn't strengthened my heart for all those years!

18. Lindy

Lindy Forum Moderator Staff Member

To celebrate turning 40 I have started running. Shuffling might be a better description. Only 4 weeks in and go out 3 times a week. It is still a chore but I feel good afterwards and getting fitter. Yay. Being 40 is bad enough, don't want to add fat to the title too.

tekopikin and kirk like this.
  19. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Global Moderator Staff Member

I occasionally run for the bus when I'm late...does that count?

Ryan Thang To, kirk and ltsai like this.
  20. kirk

kirk Member

With a bad back I think that counts:D

Tim Harrison likes this.