• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Any runners out there?

Bless you Kirk;)..I wish I could still run:( I used to run between 20 and 30 km a week - off road mostly, and swim 3km twice a week in open water, April - October...in a wet suit I hasten to add. And rack up countless miles on a bike...but alas no more.
These days I'm a professional gym bunny, CV type classes mostly and some weights:rolleyes:, oh and I still swim, but indoors...:)

I did the manchester run 2 years ago and used to jog ever morning when id first get up but havent done any for a while. Just xc bike riding

Xc MTB or road riding? If the former, where do you recommend? (Sorry for bried hijack)

To celebrate turning 40 I have started running. Shuffling might be a better description. Only 4 weeks in and go out 3 times a week. It is still a chore but I feel good afterwards and getting fitter. Yay. Being 40 is bad enough, don't want to add
fat to the title too.
Hi,
Here's an article I thought might be worth a share:
http://www.goodformrunning.com/ hope it helps ;)

Hi all,

Apart from aquascaping and photography I've recently (last 12 months) really go into running. I'm now the captain of my local team and we won the road race league this season! :D

I've got my first half-marathon (13 miles) next Sunday - The Great Eastern Run, which I'm hoping to run sub 1:30. I ran my first sub-40 min 10km race last week which was a real milestone for me. Next year I'm considering my first full marathon.

Are there any other runners out there? It's a fantastic stress reliever and great for helping to keep the weight down! I thoroughly recommend it. :)

Now I not only get excited about new species of aquarium plants becoming available, and new cameras, but new trainers and GPS devices too! lol

Cheers,
George
Used to be a keen runner in my teens

Started up again a few years ago but fell victim to fallen arches and subsequent Achilles and calf pain.

There's a shop in Edinburgh called 'Run 4 It'. Went there as I had heard about them. They put you on a treadmill and video you walking and running barefoot. Make an analysis of your movement and recommend appropriate trainers, along with a consultation. I went through about 4 pairs of trainers before they found me the right ones (they put you back on the treadmill with the trainers on and video you again)

So, after getting the right footwear - can't recommend that enough - the pain in the fallen arches disappeared completely. I don't need to wear arch supports in my footwear at all now and I used to wear them in all. I run with eh dogs a few times a week now which I really enjoy. Not sure I would get to the 1/2 marathon stage, as the Achilles need to strengthen up a bit, but I fell brilliant t on the days I run.

The other thing that really helped me was the 5k runner app. It builds you up in the right way. You start off with 1.5min running and 2 mins walking 5 times. I was embarrassed that on the first occasions I struggled! It gradually increased the running and break intervals I an ingenious way. I now run at least 5k two to three times per week. However if I'd started off straight away on long runs without breaks I can guarantee I would have given it up by now

Good luck with your competitive runs!

Used to be a keen runner in my teens

Started up again a few years ago but fell victim to fallen arches and subsequent Achilles and calf pain.

There's a shop in Edinburgh called 'Run 4 It'. Went there as I had heard about them. They put you on a treadmill and video you walking and running barefoot. Make an analysis of your movement and recommend appropriate trainers, along with a consultation. I went through about 4 pairs of trainers before they found me the right ones (they put you back on the treadmill with the trainers on and video you again)

So, after getting the right footwear - can't recommend that enough - the pain in the fallen arches disappeared completely. I don't need to wear arch supports in my footwear at all now and I used to wear them in all. I run with the dogs a few times a week now which I really enjoy. Not sure I would get to the 1/2 marathon stage, as the Achilles need to strengthen up a bit, but I feel brilliant on the days I run.

The other thing that really helped me was the 5k runner app. It builds you up in the right way. You start off with 1.5min running and 2 mins walking 5 times. I was embarrassed that on the first occasions I struggled! It gradually increased the running and break intervals I an ingenious way. I now run at least 5k two to three times per week. However if I'd started off straight away on long runs without breaks I can guarantee I would have given it up by now

Good luck with your competitive runs!

Hi all,

Apart from aquascaping and photography I've recently (last 12 months) really go into running. I'm now the captain of my local team and we won the road race league this season! :D

I've got my first half-marathon (13 miles) next Sunday - The Great Eastern Run, which I'm hoping to run sub 1:30. I ran my first sub-40 min 10km race last week which was a real milestone for me. Next year I'm considering my first full marathon.

Are there any other runners out there? It's a fantastic stress reliever and great for helping to keep the weight down! I thoroughly recommend it. :)

Now I not only get excited about new species of aquarium plants becoming available, and new cameras, but new trainers and GPS devices too! lol

Cheers,
George

Most impressive george!

I run but only 10 km max, 14 years service and a bout of asthma have stumped my running ambitions a little.

However i do love rugby, and i absolutely revel in being a prop: loose or tight head its all fun to me.

So going the gym, op massive and sprinting is my game now

I would like a sub 0945 mile and a half though........

Whats your favourite high intensity training??

Back