• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

AL's Setup Mk3 - Sorry, I don't name my tanks.

Good stuff. I could suggest to grab soil out from one of the fron side corners down to the glass and separate the empty space wigh some plastic peace. So you will have a control of water levels wgen spraying and it will be easy to suck out unwanted water to avoid plant melting. Also it will be better tl flood the tank from that spot. As it will fill the tank from the very bottom through the substrate.

erutangiS klatapaT

Quick Sunday evening update... Decided now that the humidity has increased I would add the would back in as its been soaking for a week. Had to move some of the blyxa and may adjust some of the soil but glad to have it back in there!
Added a chunk of the Weeping Moss I received from Claire too so I can see how it fends now :)

20131124_151743.jpg

20131124_151751.jpg

I reckon another two weeks and it can be flooded :)

Day erm...16?

20131125_201610.jpg

Hairdryer getting the temp up a bit haha! Tenellus doing ok, Blyxa melting a bit :(

This should help a lot. Just keep the water levels low. Maybe reduce the spraying times or amount of water sprayed. Just keep draining once the level picks up and you should be fine. Also would suggest to remove the melted parts. Keep us updated

erutangiS klatapaT

Great idea with the hairdryer!

The wood is lovely.

All the best with the progress. :)
Thanks G!

Nothing to add... The moss I chucked in hasn't died yet...looks quite healthy I'm fact so the humidity must be vastly improved!
Hairgrass is looking reasonable too...appears to be putting on some growth! Possibly flooding next weekend :eek:

Day 31... Time seems to be flying?!

Eleocharis is pretty well rooted now :) Ulticularia seems to be settling too! Looking good for flooding this weekend :)

20131203_190726.jpg

Well theres 115l of RO in the back of my car... Hope its gonna be enough!

Anybody want to place a bet on how many bits float?

My monies on the wood not the plants

Bingo! Plants all stayed where they should be... wood trying to make a break for freedom but thankfully the piece of slate it is attached too has kept it down! :)

So I needed most of this...

20131206_180625.jpg

Added it slowly...

20131206_183024.jpg

Didn't want to disturb the hairgrass!

20131206_183032.jpg

And full it looks like this;

20131206_202427.jpg

20131206_202112.jpg

Blyxa didn't like the dry start so thats melted away! Probably go back to my original plan and add some vallis in there! Will add mos to the wood too as time goes on.
Extra heater in there temporarily as it was only 15 degrees! Oops...

Will give the glass a wipe over tomorrow and go from there!

Chucked a few bunches of Vallis in today. And a spraybar. Ultracularia trying to escape! :(

20131207_211347.jpg

Couple of pics form the other night with the water clearing further...

20131208_162503.jpg

20131208_162515.jpg

Test results coming back sweet so added the stock from my holding tank (Otto's, Amano Shrimp and a Fighter) - all seem happy - I know its a bit early for an algae crew but they have survived in a holding tank for the last few months from a fresh start so I feel will be fine in here :)

Wow, can hardly contain myself with all of the comments on here :p

Shortly after the last pics, I gave the plants a decent trim - especially the hairgrass. A couple of weeks on and its growing back in nicely;

20131228_200013.jpg

The grass is sending shoots out all over the place and the Tenellus is really starting to take off now. As the livestock has all been doing well and tests are coming back clear I decided to go and select some fish today.
Originally I was considering Celestial Pearl Danio's but just couldn't bring myself to spending so much on a small shoal of fish when this is meant to be a fairly cheap setup... So I went to Sweet Knowle Aquatics this morning and narrowed my choice down to;
Lemon Tetra
Silvertip Tetra
And these...

20131229_155558.jpg

So a shoal of 12 x Checkered Barbs are now resident in my tank :) They are sticking together and swimming about happily - have coloured up quite well and are eating already!
I also picked up a packet of Dennerle 'vesicularia dubyana' which i have split out and tied to the wood with cotton. Hoping this spreads fairly quickly!

20131229_161236.jpg

Its likely that i'll add some more Barbs in the future and am considering adding some shrimp too (either Cherries or Blue Jellies)

Looking good al, checkers are lovely as they mature and colour up. They will spread round the tank and take up loose areas for each male to dominate. You can expect to see some good old chasing going on and spawning behaviour, they have a pretty clear pecking order so you will likely get one stay smaller also.
I wouldn't add any small shrimp, adults may survive but babies will be hunted quite effectively.

Staying regional with other additions normally looks better in my opinion so maybe think about rasporas rather than tetras...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Iain,

Yeah that was my only worry with shrimp. Might have to stick with a few additional Amano's then and think of another fish.
Not planning to add Tetra, there were an alternative to the Barbs rather than both together.
Cheers

Picture from the other week that makes me smile...

20131223_213253.jpg

Quick crap phone pic. Tenellus is doing really well and the vallis has picked up following its trim. Been dosing liquid carbon which appears to be helping.

20140106_183836.jpg

Back