• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ADA Pro Razor money saving tip

FrozenShivers

Since I often shave using a safety razor, when I saw that ADA charged £5 for 2 razor blades for my ADA Pro Razor Mini, I started to sweat. I then tested it with one of my many razor blades, low and behold - it works! Just to put it into perspective, for your same £5, you can get easily get 100 quality razor blades, making this at least x50 times more cost effective.

Thought it may be of use to some of you :)

Attachments

• IMG_7624.jpg
    IMG_7624.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 133
Hmm, yeah 5£ is steep but they last a long time and I really like how thin they are?

Hmm, yeah 5£ is steep but they last a long time and I really like how thin they are?

No reason a normal razor blade won’t last as long, ADA one certainly isnt lasting x50 times as long. Not sure what you mean by thinness? A standard blade is very thin also.

Last edited:
Yeah you’re right, these are a good deal - I have a old old scraper and it came with a Stanley blade 😅

What I mean by the ADA ones is that they’ve lasted so long, I think I buy replacements once every 18 months - and they really are just so thin haha

Good tip!!

I can't remember the last time I had to use a scrapper for my glass in any of my 5 tanks! I have not cleaned glass in any tank for at least 2 years! happy days :)

Good tip!!

I can't remember the last time I had to use a scrapper for my glass in any of my 5 tanks! I have not cleaned glass in any tank for at least 2 years! happy days :)

What's your secret?! :) I do mines once a week and it's usually very little but I still do it. I don't have any otto's sadly.

Hi all,
What's your secret?! :) I do mines once a week and it's usually very little but I still do it.
Snails 😁😁
Same as Paulo (@LondonDragon ), I can honestly say that I never clean the glass in the tanks, and that is mainly <"because of the snails">, although low nutrients and soft water may also play a part in reducing algae.

This is one of <"Marcel's"> @zozo, but it shows that <"algae can grow where snails can't graze">.

trendyram-jpg.jpg

cheers Darrel

yep very serious :)
very interesting to know… never though on that… do you have a guesstimate of how many shells for how many liters or aquarium “glass” area? rsrs

Note: I really think they are more active at late in the night… the glass would have so many of them then they dissappear in the day time (most of them).

very interesting to know… never though on that… do you have a guesstimate of how many shells for how many liters or aquarium “glass” area? rsrs

Note: I really think they are more active at late in the night… the glass would have so many of them then they dissappear in the day time (most of them).
12 litre tanks I have 20-30 snails, 30cm cube 40-50, 60cm around 200, 90cm around 50-60 full size adults. if you look at the tanks 3 hours after lights on most of the time you would think there are no snails in there, so you are right, if I turn on the lights in the early morning there are always lots of snails on the glass, and also they all come out straight after feeding.

12 litre tanks I have 20-30 snails, 30cm cube 40-50, 60cm around 200, 90cm around 50-60 full size adults. if you look at the tanks 3 hours after lights on most of the time you would think there are no snails in there, so you are right, if I turn on the lights in the early morning there are always lots of snails on the glass, and also they all come out straight after feeding.
Thank you for the knowledge, just to be clear… can you send a picture of the snail species? Just to not “farm" the wrong species kk

Hi all,
can you send a picture of the snail species?
I have <"three different species">, they are all "pest snails", so maintain their populations and none of them eat living plant material. All three species are "invasive aliens" outside of their native range.

<"Planorbella duryi"> - Seminole Ramshorn snail.
<"Physella acuta"> - Tadpole Snail
<"Melanoides tuberculata"> - Malaysian Trumpet Snail

You will have <"loads of native snails">, many of which may be suitable, but it would be a case of trialling and seeing what happens.

cheers Darrel

ADA charged £5 for 2 razor blades for my ADA Pro Razor Mini
Wait, what??? The only thing which could justify paying 5 quid for razor blades is if they are made by Hattori Hanzo, otherwise it's just pure marketing thing, they can't do better than standard blades (not to mention that if standard blades are thinner, they adapt better to flat surfaces).

I'm also a snail fan, they do the same work for free.

Back