• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ada 60F -go with the flow- nature aquarium

So, I went to an big LFS and they had the biggest choice of nano fish I've Ever seen (sundadanio, galaxy, ember, simulans, kubotai, borara sp, ruby tetra, nannostommus etc etc...)!

They had fully grown adult simulans , gorgeous looking but definitly too
Big for my tank (up to 3,5cm!)

Loved the ruby tetra but seems to not school as I wanted too

I'm 90% sure I will end with the same population that in my ex iwagumi; 10-15 ember tetra with 5 kubotai (as dither fish)

:facepalm:

Looks like I missed some interesting post. I think killifish is not a bad choice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have put 11 Espei Rasboras in my tank. I think it is a good choice for yours, too.

They are small, schooling together, peaceful fish and outstanding with lampchop shape on orange body.

They also like to play with flow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clown killifish and Rasbora Espei are Beautiful fishes but they both love too jump...:(

A friend of mine had a bunch of 8 espei, Half of them have already dried on the floor in less than 3 months. :confused:

Any chance that you can get this fish, aplocheilichthys norman (Norman’s lamp eye)? They are beautiful, small and schooling

Ca-mat-den-Aplocheilichthys-Normani-Norman-Lamp-Eye-2.jpg

I visited one local shop this summer and saw these fishes. Definitely they are not jumping :)

Any chance that you can get this fish, aplocheilichthys norman (Norman’s lamp eye)? They are beautiful, small and schooling

Ca-mat-den-Aplocheilichthys-Normani-Norman-Lamp-Eye-2.jpg

I visited one local shop this summer and saw these fishes. Definitely they are not jumping :)

Love them, thanks man, I can get any nano fish on my LFS , I've seen them too...will add them to my list;

Si here I am;

Ember tetra
Kubotai
Simulans
Lamp eye

I read quitem the contrary about lamp eyes from the girl who bred them. They were perfect jumpers in her tank.

Have you considered Vietnamese white clouds? They should be small but I don't know about their jumping habits.

I'm liking these guys too, especially because they like cold water and good flow! But I heard they are jumpers too?

I'll ask my LFS, thanks for the suggestion, Added them to my wishlist. :)

I suspect that many of the reports of "jumping" vs "non-jumping" are situational ...
eg, I've rarely had any "jumpers" despite keeping fish that others report as "lost most due to jumping"
I rarely feed any floating foods - mostly frozen or pre-soaked dry foods - I think this important as I notice how much the fish (floating flake fed) at my friend's shop jump
(the friend part is only relevant in that I often help out so see more of the livestock there ;) )

To start, as this is a shallow tank, I'd add a glass top (ADA price seems reasonable at lfs but any temporary top would do) for the first weeks, then remove it during times when I'm at home, & expanding this to "always"
- noted the projecting wood, so use some sort of very fine stiff netting so that fish can't get "stuck"

Floating plant cover I think also reduces jumping.
Lowering the water level a few cm's below tank edge will also help
Add enough #'s to the fish shoal so that they feel secure
Don't add so much CO2 that fish are "jumping" to (hopefully) better waters

OK 'nuff "free advice" :p

Day 21 update:

161111091058812570.jpg
16111109110166304.jpg
161111051531351241.jpg

161111051540242598.jpg

161111051542178381.jpg
16111105153284462.jpg
161111051545383506.jpg
161111051544193907.jpg

Everything is going fine, no algae but normal fungus on the Wood, slow growth rate...thinking of starting dosing micros soon, and add some fishes because it is cycled since 5 days. :)

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi there,

Couldn't resist when I've seen these ember tetra on sale for only 1€/pcs at my LFS...added 10 of them with the 6 I've had waiting in the nano cube...so a total happy schoal of 16 ember tetra are now swimming in the 60F! :happy:

161114072359289031.jpg
161114072348762077.jpg
161114072401455609.jpg
161114072357642481.jpg

Tomorrow I'll do the third 10liters WC and start dosing micros.
Cheers!

Hi there,

Some small unknown fissidens sp moss is growing along with my riccardia, a friend told me it could be some terrestrial moss that was on tropica's factory?

Here's a pic:161116072015159409.jpg

Otherwise, despite being 16, the ember tetra are shy as hell, as they were in my iwagumi before I added some kubotai...:(

Went to my LFS today and discovered they had 10 awesome tetra tucano in stock, price is very high but I fell in love with them!

Never saw tetra tucano in flesh but on pictures they are lovely tiny fish. Afaik they are wild caught so that might explain high price.

Never saw tetra tucano in flesh but on pictures they are lovely tiny fish. Afaik they are wild caught so that might explain high price.

Yes, I ask the seller and they're wild caught and rare, however he feed them with micro pellets and they're not picky eaters at all, that's an good thing

They were on my wishlist but I forgot them until I saw these live today...they're really awesome, really tiny (1,5-2cm max), blue eyed, black mat stripe and light red tail, lovely!:greedy:

Thinking of buying 5 as dither fishes for my ember tetra.:hungry:

Back