• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

90cm and right at the beginning

You can always run an absolute tonne of carbon in the filter for 30 days. This will really help with water quality during the early stages.
I'll look into that. I have 1/2 a tray free (thin 300ppi sponge in top tray), perhaps replace a blue sponge with carbon. Then back in once the carbon has done its job.
Is it worth considering using some of the "wool" I hear about? Throwing it away afterwards (not very Eco though).
Best,
Brian

Hi,
I personally would turn it right down to about 10% or even less especially if it's moving your substrate around and turn it up gradually as the plant mass increases. As it is it will also uproot your newly planted plants. Once you start getting some growth you will be able to judge much better the power required to make all the plants sway in the breeze without creating a whirlpool and destroying anything. For comparison I have the same tank as you and run my Nero 3 (which looks pretty similar to yours) at 15% when CO2 is on and 1% when off and it is fully planted.
Again though, it's what works for me.
Yep, you've confirmed my thoughts, thank you. Don't want all my plants ending up as floaters.
Best,
Brian

I'll look into that. I have 1/2 a tray free (thin 300ppi sponge in top tray), perhaps replace a blue sponge with carbon. Then back in once the carbon has done its job.
Is it worth considering using some of the "wool" I hear about? Throwing it away afterwards (not very Eco though).
Best,
Brian
You can use wool yes and lots of people do, but if there’s no fish or anything yet, then there’s no real need to be collecting any fine particles (like poo and food).

Hi all,
Phase 1 complete. Back and mid plants planted and survived the night. Only a couple of floaters, easily sorted. Next week, some carpet, moss and Anubias.:thumbup:
Then fish in a bit. Thinking of 20ish rasboras, 20ish tetras and some algae eaters.

My understanding is there is no need to use ferts yet. When should I think about slowly increasing the dose until normal dose prevails? CO2 is on and lime green.
1721411412791.jpeg
Hopefully, no faux pas. Suggestions always welcome.
Best,
Brian

Morning Brian.
Good to see some water and plants in...
Suggestions always welcome
As long as you're happy that's all that matters, the only suggestion I would make is to move the Val and is that Cyperus Helferi towards the back of the tank as all your other plants which appear to be stems can be trimmed down and shaped whereas the two aforementioned plants don't really appreciate being trimmed and they can grow pretty tall, although you can at least trim the Val if necessary but it looks terrible after doing so and takes a while to recover. Maybe it's further back than it looks, I have the same tank and struggle to get a sense of the 55cm depth using my phone camera.
Again, this is only my take on life and you are free to do whatever you wish.

Thanks @bazz
I've moved a few bits towards the back. As a newbie, this was a bit horrendous for me. Move 1 and 2 come to the surface. But all is well now. Nice clean frontage now.
Right, mixing up some ferts now. Ready to add later.
1721487694823.jpeg
1721487721742.jpeg
Adjusted the flow and the plants have eased back and are more upright. Cleaner lines from the side.
Note the camera at the back. Makes for a good video on my desktop. Once it has cleared up after all my faffing about. 😎
Best,
Brian

Hi All,
I do believe I have reached the stage where "it is all done" 😎
I've been away for a week and all is well, apart from some green hairy algae appearing on the glass. If I understand correctly, I need to up the ferts a bit. Making my own (TNC clone) and squiring 75% EI.
1727742854890.jpeg
Happy with my first tank. Enjoying it and this will be my final input for this journal.
Thanks for all your input and advice.
Brian

Back