• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

60P Variations

Thanks. Yes, that has been my own experience also on previous occasions. I have found it a good practice not to divide the plants to too little portions at the start.

But I have also read about other people’s experiences of complete melting of in-vitro pinnatifida on the first days of a new scape.

When I first started the filter the outflow was too deep and too near the substrate in the back. Result was uprooted plants and moved soil. I don’t have a good alternative in my reserves at the moment. So I have filter foam piece as a “muffler” on the outflow as a temporary fix. This obviously ruins the inline CO2 distribution.
Hi,
Could you not temporarily move the outlet to the front and and direct it across the front of the tank where the plant growth is lower, by the time it has circulated round the back it should have calmed down a bit. You can then return it to your ideal location once the stems have gained a bit of muscle?
But I have also read about other people’s experiences of complete melting of in-vitro pinnatifida on the first days of a new scape.
This can happen to quite a few different species, George Farmer candidly revealed that several types were lost in the initial stages on one of Tropica's Youtube vids, when they were preparing show tanks at their laboratory.

Yes, thought of that too. That would be another temporary fix. The space between the wall and the tubes is tight and I didn’t want to get through that hassle. I wish I can find a more long term solution for this.

Two week update:

a more "instagrammable" FTS
IMG_5870.jpg

Progress with the plants is still slow, I lowered the light a little. Six hour photoperiod. Background plants have a few centimeters of new growth, Riccia is due to a first trim(I plan to pick the stones and do the trim out of water). Juncus repens and pinnatifida are still adapting. Phyllanthus fluitans at the surface is starting to resemble a floating plant. In-vitro cup was just lots of fragile, solitary leaves, basically. There is some diatoms on the glass and foreground sand, as was to be expected. BTW: 90P was launched with a dark start and that seems to overstep the diatom phase alltogether.

Biggest grief came last weekend. I was away for a night and day. Did a water change before leaving. When I inspected the tank after arriving back home I noticed a few dead shrimps on the sand. Bit of a panic. Quick water tests. pH 6.5, ammonia and nitrite at zero. Did a water change anyway. Found more dead shrimps, but also live ones. Fish seemed to be just normal. Following day found more dead ones, it seemed that some might have been dead for a little while, already decomposing.

Do not still know what might have caused this. Majority of the shrimp population is gone now. They are orange Neocaridina, I have had a colony of them for a couple of years. Bought twenty or so from a local breeder. Never had issues like this, more of an overpopulation problem, if anything. There is a bigger population of them in my 90P and I transferred 15-20 of them in the 60P. Could be that the starting phase, the daily water changes were too much for them, even though I have tried my best to keep the water parameters constant. I did start fertilising the tank, moderately and with the products I have previously used with no issues. Sad and guilty feeling all the same.

I do know that the web is full of "mystery shrimp death" stories and I really do not expect to ever find out what caused this. I have now been holding off the water changes. Might do a small one in the next coming days and then just try to follow a weekly water change routine after that.

Content warning: two crime scene photos, water tests and dead shrimp on sand.
IMG_5887.JPG
IMG_5886.JPG

Hi all,
I do know that the web is full of "mystery shrimp death" stories and I really do not expect to ever find out what caused this. I have now been holding off the water changes. Might do a small one in the next coming days and then just try to follow a weekly water change routine after that.
I'm sorry to hear that.

Because of the water change and speed of death, I would suspect it might be a trace of pesticide in the water change water? I say this because <"some pesticides"> combine a very low vertebrate toxicity with being deadly to crustaceans.

When I lived in Bath, at one point we had <"Asellus in our water supply"> and I'm guessing they removed them with a dose of permethrin or similar. Even if they <"used CO2"> it could have adversely effected the shrimp, more than the fish <"Cherry shrimp dying off">.

cheers Darrel

Thank you for the insight once again, Darrel. I do have an overdose of activated carbon in the filter ATM. Quick web search is saying that would remove pesticides.

I am no expert in water chemistry and never will be, so idk. I believe Finnish water supply plants do not use pesticides in tap water, but that is not a certified fact. Local water company has no information of any irregularities on their website but I will contact their customer service and check this. I would not have thought of that without your tip.

Back