• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Epic Journal, Epic Tank.....One of my favourites

Love the mix of livestock. I still have my 6 chocs, they seem to be doing well.

Hiya mate.

Thanks very much for those kind comments mate really appreciate it and very happy its one of your faves.
Yeah I think your one of the only ones who has managed to do well with them too and they go perfect with your scapes.
Its a shame everyone kind of lives southwards as it would be nice to have a small gathering at mine and maybe bbq etc.
Something to get arranged at some point this year????

Hi richard
Sorry for the delay. Hadnt noticed your post.
The filters roughly 3 times id say but there are 2 adjustable 1600 ltre per hour power heads that run when lights on AND.......... I finally gave in and decided to inject this tank with co2 from today.
Im injecting via a diy reactor and tmc v2 2200 lph pump and acrylic inlet and outlet so total turn over will be roughly 8000 lph give or take a few so 8x turn over during lights on from 2pm today hopefully :)
Ph is already around 6 so im guessing the inmates will love the co2 more as itll drop the ph even lower.
I know ive gone against what I initially intended and that was to run this low tech right through but with the tank being so big it is taking forever to grow in so for now ill use co2 then maybe gradually reduce back to low tech before I upgrade to the final bigger tank :oops:

Extra flow with lights on seems a good solution - saves the little ones drifting off ( literally ) in their sleep !! In a separate post about flow rates there was discussion about going up to x25 with wide bore multi holed spray bars !! I'd like to see their utility bills ..

Do like the idea of switching between Hi & Lo tech approach to get desired planting balance . Looking forward to more piccies soon .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow co2 in that size tank will have to be a large canister?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hiya mate.

Thanks very much for those kind comments mate really appreciate it and very happy its one of your faves.
Yeah I think your one of the only ones who has managed to do well with them too and they go perfect with your scapes.
Its a shame everyone kind of lives southwards as it would be nice to have a small gathering at mine and maybe bbq etc.

Manchester aint that far ;)

Do it, BBQ and big tanks are cool :) I'm sure a few would travel to see this monster!

We need photos Alistair..... :peeking:
Will get some photos up this week :)

Wow co2 in that size tank will have to be a large canister?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
My usage is similar; 2x 5kg roughly refil once in every maybe 4 months.

Yep big canisters Ali, 2 x 22kg (full) cylinders in the cupboard behind the tank. One ready for when the other runs low.

I felt myself drifting away from the original layout I started on this tank with the sense of depth I had done at first. I'd added plants at the back left etc. They've all come out now as did all the plants in the Samoa sand.
I have put one species of special carpet plant in the other day so with the co2 on I'm hoping it will adapt and take off and cover all the open space. Then adding LOTS more crypts in the next few days far right, rear right and along the back with more moss on the wood to have it all built up towards that section. There's a nice young aponogetan c. Red in too for colour eventually.
Even though I've added co2 it's not massive amounts but just enough to maintain a nice steady amount and thicker growth.
I'm adding ei dosing and doing 2 x 25 percent water changes per week so less big jumps in water parameters.

Want to say a big thanks to John @ www.aquariumplantfood.co.UK for my large parcel of powders and dosing spoons getting delivered in mega fast time. (pics of it all too soon)

My paros and chocs love it though as my ph is reading 5.2 during lights on.
I've got 2 paros in a buried ceramic tube chasing away anything that comes near and a female choccos holding babies in her mouth so small tank set up for the babies for a better survival rate.

I'll Def get photos up of how I've rigged co2 via a large diy reactor, external pump and acrylic pipes.

But for now I had to get up this rushed photo taken just as an amano had molted. It was fantastic.
Gave me chance to have a quick go of the Xperia z2 camera too :cool:

14094412256_1e7625b504_b.jpg
2014-05-05_11-19-49 by Mr-T-, on Flickr

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I know the tds of the tank but what is the gh? Brought mine up to gh 5, tds 116 and now worrying it's too high.

Wow mate... 2x25% WC means 650 liters/week. This is a lot of work/time!
I'm sure you have minions like Amano... ;)

Jordi

Nice shot there mate. B&W ftw :cool:

Co2! This should look sweet when it gets going lol ..... loads of pics please :)
Certainly will murf. Bloody crypt melt everywhere the minute co2 is running grrrr.
I know the tds of the tank but what is the gh? Brought mine up to gh 5, tds 116 and now worrying it's too high.
it's gh4 lindy
Wow mate... 2x25% WC means 650 liters/week. This is a lot of work/time!
I'm sure you have minions like Amano... ;)

Jordi
Hi Jordi
To be honest it doesn't take long at all. It's the gravel vaccing that is time consuming. I'll definitely be going back to low tech after a few months.

(that's why i have my tank hooked up to a mains drain, i can just chuck in the garden hose and let it run a few hours)
Ditto. Garden Hose is hooked over the side of the tank draining water into the garden whilst I trim and vac. Takes about 40 mins total but will be longer as it fills in.
Nice shot there mate. B&W ftw :cool:

Cheers James. I've just got the Sony xperia z2 and had some fun last night doing underwater videos ha ha. Was greatc

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk 2

Back