• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Maq's experiment 23b

mmm give it 3 or 4 days, tubs with water & NH4 in my garden show algae growth quickly - over spray from ground plant fert no plants just water. MAQs Starting conditions look similar. Shrug.

mmm give it 3 or 4 days, tubs with water & NH4 in my garden show algae growth quickly - over spray from ground plant fert no plants just water. MAQs Starting conditions look similar. Shrug.
Not entirely sure what your point is… ? ;)

Cheers,
Michael

I don't think you understood the reason behind his Experiment. its not about growing algae, but primarily focused on plants and Nutrients. Algae is likely to grow under all those 4 setups, but the amount of algae will vary in each setup and that is what people are interested in.

Happi

One of those moments when one thinks AAAAGGGG I did it wrong Happi is way smarter than me !!!!
I stand by my thoughts, and biases

Were all the tank cycled prior starting the experiment?

The substrate is matured. I believe it's better this way. Newly established tanks suffer from algae quite regularly.

I don't believe @_Maq_ is using any other biological filtration other than whatever effect the substrate has, and a power head of some sort for circulation.

Monocots: Cryptocoryne wendtii Rubella, Egeria densa, Echinodorus cv. Reni, Sagittaria platyphylla, Tonina fluviatilis, Vallisneria spiralis
Dicots: Ammannia pedicellata Gold, Bacopa lanigera, Hygrophila corymbosa siamensis Brown, Hygrophila lancea, Rotala rotundifolia Orange Juice, Rotala wallichii

View attachment 202031View attachment 202032View attachment 202033View attachment 202034

@_Maq_ when you post further images of the tanks, any chance your can overlay a letter on each image, and include a key underneath stating which letter is which tank type - it will just save us lazy folks hunting through the thread to figure out which is which.

Hi all,
..... I think you're spot on with the craft vs. art distinction. I was thinking about this topic while driving and had the thought that the judging reminded me of the state/county fair - no one is breaking any new ground in the blackberry jam category, but I expect the winner is very good jam indeed......
If some-one had a knack for fantasy writing / screen writing I'm sure there is a whole new quest series in there, a <"mash-up of C.S Lewis"> and <"Guardians of the Galaxy">? (I'm deliberately not going to mention <"Alan Sugar">, <"the Matrix"> or <"Klingons">)

I've got the starting scene (first chapter).......
........A <"one-legged Irishman">, <"Richard Dawkins"> and a baby beaver are together in <"an all day buffet">, when <"a fight breaks out among the bears"> over who ate the blackberry jam. ......
cheers Darrel

Last edited by a moderator:
How is PH measured in those tanks? PH stick? Single or double junction? Calibrated at each dip/reading?
Were all the tank cycled prior starting the experiment?

Perhaps I missed the answers to those questions.

I do not think those questions were answered. As far as "cycling" goes I think he is reusing "mature" substrate and "mature" filters - so everything should mature fairly fast.

With pH it just says Target pH: 6.0 above all tanks. I guess that is easy to maintain with the low alkalinity, but I don't know if @_Maq_ is actually adding anything to reach that (low) 6.0.

Cheers,
Michael

With pH it just says Target pH: 6.0 above all tanks. I guess that is easy to maintain with the low alkalinity, but I don't know if @_Maq_ is actually adding anything to reach that (low) 6.0.
For pH measurements I'm using standard electrode. Calibrating about monthly, it appears to be very stable.
I'm NOT adding anything in the water you don't know of. That would render the experiment senseless. I may do mistakes but I'm not a charlatan. Also, I'll let you know EXACTLY when and how much micros I'll dose.
"Target pH" is merely a number I consider fit for most species. Yet I don't know what the pH really will be. Like I said, in tanks "orange" and "insane" there's much ammonium and much bicarbonates there. Nitrification will scavenge both, but I don't know how effectively. That's why I predict pH may vary significantly. It may be high after WC, and truly low before WC.
In tanks "lean" and "moderate", I assume the pH would be roughly 6. Based on my experience with similarly mineralized tanks.
I'm about to measure pH, temperature, and conductivity tomorrow morning.

For pH measurements I'm using standard electrode. Calibrating about monthly, it appears to be very stable.
I'm NOT adding anything in the water you don't know of. That would render the experiment senseless. I may do mistakes but I'm not a charlatan. Also, I'll let you know EXACTLY when and how much micros I'll dose.
"Target pH" is merely a number I consider fit for most species. Yet I don't know what the pH really will be. Like I said, in tanks "orange" and "insane" there's much ammonium and much bicarbonates there. Nitrification will scavenge both, but I don't know how effectively. That's why I predict pH may vary significantly. It may be high after WC, and truly low before WC.
In tanks "lean" and "moderate", I assume the pH would be roughly 6. Based on my experience with similarly mineralized tanks.
I'm about to measure pH, temperature, and conductivity tomorrow morning.
Got it. Oh, now you mention temperature, I am curious to what temp you target?

I think a lot of folks around here target around 22-24C, some go lower if they run plants-only tanks.

Cheers,
Michael

1678177600654.png

Back