• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Yet another newbie

Hi all,
I also believe my initial nitrates measurement was wrong. I was using test strips that always seem to show 100mg/l but after using a liquid test I get <5mg/l.
My guess would be that the true values lies somewhere in the middle. Nitrate testing isn't <"entirely straightforward">. What does the water report (from Thames Water?) say for your postcode? Water companies have an analytical lab. and the values they report will be accurate. Tap water, over most of the SE of England, has at least 30ppm NO3-.
So having said that and assuming things would improve if the PH was lower, would something like Seachem neutral regulator help or not really?
No, it won't help. You can only really soften water by taking things away, not by adding them. I think of it like a cup of black coffee, once you added sugar and milk you can't ever get back to just the black coffee. The companies that sell these products are disingenuous about what their products contain and <"how they work">.

If you can use rainwater? That gives you softer water, I'm a <"rainwater user, others will use RO">. Plenty of members will be successful with harder water, but it is more difficult to keep some nutrients (ions) in solution, particularly iron (Fe+++), where you need a chelator that works at higher pH levels. Have a look at <"Chempak Sequestered Iron">.

cheers Darrel

The water report says 32.5ppm of NO3. I measured a few times this week and it's been hovering around 25ppm in the tank.
I'm now dosing half TPN half TSN and it seems to be what I need to keep it around the desired NO3 levels (assuming the test I'm using is correct). I did increase the dose though, I'm at 4 pumps per day.

Good news is the tank is starting to look a bit greener, plants seem to be reacting positively to the change. Fingers crossed the improvement continues!

If you can use rainwater?
I've started collecting rain water, hopefully I'll have some for the next water change.

Time for a quick update. Things have been moving slowly but it is definitely working!
Plants look a lot better and the algae is slowly disappearing!
Now if only the eleocharis parvula would fill the right side a little bit more! :)

20.jpeg
19.jpeg
18.jpeg
17.jpeg

Nice to see you're having a good go, and dealing with issues as they come.
It's been an ebb and flow for me too. The lows make the highs feel nicer!

I'm coming out of a low at the moment, where I carelessly added too much epsom salts (for the first time).
Decided to dump a 20L drum full of macros, and start fresh.

Live and learn!
Fil

Back