• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Yeast-based CO2 DIY mix using Nutrafin kit

Sounds like it would be too much CO2 tbh, but really its impossible to judge when talking about using yeast for CO2. If you don't have any fish, you could try attaching one to your tank and see how it goes, measuring using a drop checker over the brew. Depending on what your making, the CO2 levels would be different throughout the process.

I have a feeling you would get more consistent results from just using 2 or 3 2L coke bottles, a teaspoon of yeast in each and changing one bottle at a time :thumbup: .

Or obviously pressurised CO2 for £40/50 is the best. If you do go for the yeast route I would still recommend using a ceramic diffuser, or possibly a wooden airstone if easier to source.

I use 2 x 1.75 litre diluting juice bottles fitted in tandem and charged about a week apart so there's no drop off. It took a wee while to get it all running smoothly but it's keeping the drop checker nice and green on my Rio 240. I also use an eheim diffuser which has a washable inner felt. It's great because the twin bottle setup creates a good pressure you can screw it right down to really fine mist of bubbles.

Just thought I would chip in and give the amounts provided in the Nutrafin Co2 setup. This is an average reading from a few goes with the provided materials in the Nutrafin set.

Hopefully it will give some people a bit of confidence in doing their own DIY setup following the manufacturers guidelines. I have successfully copied the recipe and they work great on smaller tanks. To get the same amount of volume/co2 that the Nutrafin system provides all you need is one 500ml Coke/Pepsi bottle...

Amounts are as follows:

0.6g Yeast (looks like champagne yeast but bread yeast will do)
80g white sugar
5.2g stabilizer (barcarbonate of soda)
460ml of warm water

I also add 1g of Wilkos yeast nutrient as I think the stabalizer packet includes some.

Hope this helps some people try out DIY CO2

Hi.
Thinking of giving the Dennerle Nano Bio CO2 ago. Its basically the same as the Nutrafin one but uses a gel which is supposed to regulate the bubbles.
Has anyone tried this system or using it right now? I'd be interested to get a review.
Im going to be starting up a new 30 litre tank with plenty of plants! so thought this could be a nice option.

Thanks!
Simon

Back