• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Would this work for shrimps?

Didds

Seedling
Hi All,

Just been reading through a couple of threads in the General Planted Tank Discussions where, if i understand the process correctly, the tank is set up with plants, wait untill they're flourishing and then add a few fish and the plants will take up the initial bioload.

My tank is a 30l fluval, internal filter, Red sea florabase substrate - the plants arrive tomorrow; couple of mossess, Pogostemon helferi, Cyperus helferi, Pogostemon erectus and a couple of moss balls and cappatta leaves.
Now if i plant all this lot, dose ferts and CO2, leave running for 6 to 8 weeks, would it be acceptable to put in 10 red or yellow cherries, without cycling with ammonia? I have fishless cycled in the past so am happy to do this, but if I can get away with not using ammonia i'd much prefer it. (Last tank sprung a leak a year ago so I dont have any mature media).

What do you all think? has anybody tried it? and are there any major pitfalls I should be aware of before I start.

Cheers, Didds

Hi all,
Now if i plant all this lot, dose ferts and CO2, leave running for 6 to 8 weeks, would it be acceptable to put in 10 red or yellow cherries, without cycling with ammonia? I have fishless cycled in the past so am happy to do this, but if I can get away with not using ammonia i'd much prefer it. (Last tank sprung a leak a year ago so I dont have any mature media). What do you all think? has anybody tried it? and are there any major pitfalls I should be aware of before I start.
You never need to add ammonia, planting and leaving is a much better method.

Have a look at these threads: <Alien invasion of Algae | UK Aquatic Plant Society> &
<Best Way To Start A Planted Tank? | UK Aquatic Plant Society>

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel, having re read those threads this morning with my brain switched on I'm going to give this method a go, plants are soaking and bogwood has sunk so saturday is tank-build day!!

PS. anyone want some ammonia??

i use ammonia to cycle tanks and filters

Back