• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Which Superglue for rocks

Billypete

I want to glue quite a few rocks together using the superglue & tissue method. I've tried Gorilla gel glue but doesn't dry quickly or soak into tissue so works out expensive 🙄 you see these guys on YouTube liberally 'spraying' superglue everywhere - it must be cheap & in largr quantities !!
Who uses what , from where , & how much/quantity 🤔

Medium stuff here:
Everbuild CYN50 Stick 2 Industrial Grade General Purpose Superglue, Clear, 50 grams https://amzn.eu/d/8gqBtSQ
Liquid from screwfix (I use this)
Here

Fab 👌 Just what I was looking for - have seen both of these but wasn't sure whether they were OK to use 🤔 How can they charge the same price for 3-5g tubes 🤐 Thanks 👍

how do you find them in regard to application & storage ? Do you use the add on tips you can get ?

Hi Billypete.

Sorry to Hijack the thread. I recently glued my root wood to my rocks using Wickes own brand liquid superglue and kitchen towel. I have used quite a few contact points and have yet to have flooded the tank but all seems very secure. I’ve attached a picture of my hardscape as to reference what I have fixed to the rocks.

Regards

Attachments

• IMG_8553.jpeg
    IMG_8553.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 102
No apologies needed - this is what the question is all about - what have you used ... etc
At £4.20 for 20g it seems a little expensive compared to the 2 mentioned earlier ... but cheap compared to most of the smaller ones !! I can't believe the variations in price to quantity 🤬
I would tend to go for brands normally but as it's used for glueing plants onto things I don't suppose you need the supposed guarantee of the big name brand - although with glueing stones together in a glass box full of water perhaps you do 🤔🤐

Not all liquid superglue will work. I think I used Bostik and that seemed okay with cigarette filters. Not sure whether tissue reacts the same. But with filters you should get an exothermic reaction, with vapour, and that’s the sign it’s bonding.

That's something I didn't get with the gorilla gel glue - was kinda disappointed lol 😆
Have just bought some of the screwfix glue from above - thank you Miniandy 😊 OH is picking it up now , along with some filter tips 😄 so play time on weekend 😀

Nice scape by the way 😘
Hi Billypete, thanks for the kind words, I used 2 bottles of the Wickes cyanoacrylate liquid superglue and a fair bit of paper towel got as many contact points as I could! I did get the reaction so did it during the day and had the window open. Yet to be flooded but seems really solid ! There is about 25 kg of rock in my tank and the large piece of root wood . I used the Gorilla Glue gel type for some of the smaller branches on their own for details. Thanks again mate .

Thanks
Matt 😀

Not all liquid superglue will work. I think I used Bostik and that seemed okay with cigarette filters. Not sure whether tissue reacts the same. But with filters you should get an exothermic reaction, with vapour, and that’s the sign it’s bonding.
🧐

Sorry to bother you again on this subject. Just starting to glue a major rock landscape together. I've experimented with glueing with this glue but it doesn't smoke nor fix very easily. Do I know the correct glue? Mine is cyanoacryate but it doesn't smoke nor five quickly. Also, does say that it's for porous surfaces on the label🫣😬🧐
Please advise🤨

Attachments

• PXL_20231207_112715895.jpg
    PXL_20231207_112715895.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 66
It could be worth a look at Green Aqua YT rock builds were they gllue huge lumps together, could be a case of pay more rather than have a disaster (.Lava Rock apart)has Green Aqua will show you @Billypete

When you finally get the right glue, don’t breathe in the fumes, they’re highly toxic.

Hi all,
Trust me when I tell you from experience that removing burning hot cyanoacrylate and cig filters - mid-exothermic reaction - from the tips of your fingers isn't a fun pursuit!
I'm feeling better now, I only managed to <"glue my fingers together">, I didn't set fire to them at the same time.

cheers Darrel

Got a story for you…

When I started to learn to cook, after chopping chilli I rubbed my eyes and was in a lot of pain - true burning discomfort. However recently I had learnt that the acid of lemon negates chilli, so I did what any logical person would do and I held my eyelids open and squeezed a lemon in. Went about as well as you’d imagine,

What I mean to say, is @dw1305 if you’re telling me super glued fingers can be undone with a bit of fire, there was a time in my life where i would have tried it.

As for which glue to use? I prefer the gorilla super glue gel; it’s great and if I want to remove it in future it does chip away from hardscape (with care)

Back