• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Which substrate

I use them on new setups and then…..don’t touch them 🙂
Same here. Using mine to get a 'feel' of where I am on my new tank. My fish only (well, fish with two plants!) never gets tested.

Hi all,
Stuck on the nitrite part at the moment after 22 days.
It is more likely to be an issue with the test kits, rather than a genuine reading.
I hope so, because if not, I am trying to cycle a new aquarium on air!
You don't have an ammonium (NH4) source, and during microbial nitrification your fixed nitrogen ion goes from <"NH3/4 > N02- > N03-">, or possibly directly from NH3/4 > N03- via <"COMAMMOX Nitrospira">.
I definitely have a lot of plants in there!
So that is the reason why it is likely to be a problem with test kit. We know that plants take up all forms of <"fixed nitrogen"> and we have a situation where:
  • we aren't adding any ammonia and
  • we have plants that will deplete the NO2- reservoir.
Now we are just back to probability, and what is the more likely option? That is the advantage of <"plant and wait">, the only test kit you need is the plant mass and then <"grown in = fish safe">.
are people back to using test kits?
Decisions based on test kits and also "cycling" with ammonia seems to have a made a bit of a come-back. I'm not that surprised, during the last 15 years it has really been two steps forward and one step backwards.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back