• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Which Stem Plant?

Ben M

Hi, I'm looking for a stem plant for the background of my 40l nano (see link to journal in my sig). I dose EI ferts and easy carbo, and the light is 18W. I don't know if the substrate may be an issue, as it is coral sand (more like small gravel than sand) from when it was a mbuna fry grow on tank. I'm looking for a stem plant that will do well in these conditions, and will grow quite compact up to the top of my tank (40cm ish).

Thanks,
Ben

Thanks guys! I do like the look of the Ludwigia repens. I also like Rotala rotundifolia, would that be suitable? As for the hard water, on top of the coral sand, my tap water is also quite hard. However, I am hoping with the beech and oak leaves and the oak branches that the water won't be too hard. Do you think that would be a sensible assumption? I also like the Hygrophila corymbosa and H. polysperma, but I think the leaves may be a bit too big for my tank. But my brother has a 120l juwel lido which is very similar light/ferts/liquid carbon wise, so I could try those for his tank.

cheers,
Ben

Juncus repens is nice and elegant and growing well in a low tech for me :)

Ludwigia Palustris
Hygrophila Polysperma
Myriophyllum
Elodea

Those are some of my favourites.

Thanks, I'm not too keen on that one unfortunately.

I think my favourite out of the suggested is Ludwigia repens. But if I can find some Hygrophila corymbosa or H. polysperma I'll try those too in the other tank. Does anyone know how Rotala rotundifolia would do in my tank?

Cheers,
Ben

Does anyone know how Rotala rotundifolia would do in my tank?

Cheers,
Ben

Should be fine but i think it varies appearance a lot depending on conditions so you should just try it. I grew it late last year in hi tech tank with low - medium light and it grew well enough but stayed green. I lost it all in an incident and never replaced.

I've just been sent some more which went in a couple of days ago and looks completely different and is distinctly red as it's been grown on in hi tech, hi light, hi co2 conditions so i'm hoping it keeps some colour!!

I think Ludwigia Palustris looks nicer than Ludwigia Repens.

2hhq9vr.jpg

It's probably my favourite plant.

Attachments

• 2hhq9vr.jpg
    2hhq9vr.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 168
Thanks. I'm hoping that if I go for the Ludwigia repens it will be at least slightly red, as I like the red colour which the L. palustris doesn't have.

I think I'll see if anyone on here is selling some Ludwigia repens, H. polysperma and H. corymbosa.

Cheers,
Ben

Aha, I didn't know such a plant existed. How red do you think it would grow compared to the repens?

And I'm not sure how easily I could find someone who is selling some on here?

Cheers,
Ben

The Repens will be more red and require less light to show its red colour. I only suggest it because I prefer the shape of Palustris.

Thanks. I've put a wanted ad in classifieds, so I'll see which people have got. :) I think its hard for me to tell which I prefer, as I haven't seen them in my tank before, so I don't know quite how they'll look.

You would be better with Luwigia sp tropica for a Nano
LUDWIGIA SP.' PALUSTRIS' Red.....can grow quite large leaf size wise.
See plant details under photo
830b0aa6-b01f-44b8-9b6b-8fabb0bf1aab_zps9d0b5f45.jpg

Plant Details

Attachments

• 830b0aa6-b01f-44b8-9b6b-8fabb0bf1aab_zps9d0b5f45.jpg
    830b0aa6-b01f-44b8-9b6b-8fabb0bf1aab_zps9d0b5f45.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 92
Back