• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What would you do...?

sh4d0w

SO guys, trying something new here (to me anyway).

If this was your tank, what would you change? do next? Remove etc.

I am struggling with a few things at the moment and i put this down to nutrients but i could be miles off. Had some cyno appear but think this is down to sunlight hitting one corner for a few hours a day, treated that today.
IMG_4812.jpg
IMG_2704.jpg
IMG_4813.jpg
IMG_4814.jpg
IMG_4815.jpg
IMG_4816.jpg

Nice scape. I wouldn’t change much really. But if you feel like it’s time for a change just make gradual adjustments of planting and maybe hardscape. Let it evolve organically.

At the end of the day it’s just gardening. We don’t think twice about replanting our herbaceous boarders, for instance. There’s no reason why the same rules shouldn’t apply to a planted tank 🙂

On first glance, you might be dosing a bit lean if you got cyano given your cabinet.

But please let us know your regime.

Can probably rid those plants of algae with 2x daily dosage of Tropica in the cabinet.

I mean … you have a lot of plants and it wouldn’t surprise me if they are hungrier than your current dosage. I’ve spawned cyano with a lean column for too long then corrected by swapping back to proper dosing.

The other algaes are generally fixed with nutrients/co2 too.

Flow looks good tbh (spray bar and Lilly) … I’m sure your lights are just on at 100% for a standard photoperiod. Co2 1 hour before lights on at a decent injection rate.

If it was me, I’d give it a big trim - super trim. Back to back water changes maybe a few depending on your current regime to reset the column to tap water or whatever you use, then a front loaded full dose of that Tropica for the week. Then repeat daily dose of Tropica on subsequent days.

Observe from there - micro turn up on co2 (drop checker could be greener but your photo could be taken at lights on or something and it’s perfectly feasible to run a tank super lean nutrients at that color especially in soft water).

So my kit -

WRGB Pro
Oase Biomaster 600
Eheim Pro4 600
TMC UV 600
Twinstar M2 Reactor
AI Nero 3 wavemaker
LifeAqua dualstage proCO2

Co2 on at 1400 -> Lights on at 1530
Co2 Off at 2100 -> Lights off at 2200

Dosing ONLY APT3 @9ml per day

75% Waterchange each weekend - i have missed a few weeks to be fair.

Filters cleaned out every 3 weeks rotating so each filter is cleaned every 6 weeks.

I would love to get my Buce and Anubius clean again!

My tank is 330l
which is where I got my 9ml from given displacement etc.
Major trim - Back to back waters - (look at my edit as I made a mistake here) front loaded - co2 up a bit - some mL daily afterwards (I may even go lower like 2-3mL daily after you front load) 👍

Rinse and repeat whenever you water change next!

If algae does not change, a bit more co2 (your distribution looks good and I think based on your photos, the 9ml probably provides good K for your GH/KH). Then watch. And continue.

EDIT:
gah … I forgot that the 9ml is the daily. It’s probably worth going into the fert calculator and figuring out what exactly ATP gives then looking at your GH/KH then figuring out what your front loaded amount should be … from there you reset the column to the desired targets then repeat.

You could probably guess at 27 mL ~ 3x daily dose and then see what happens.

It’s tough to guess with any degree of certainty without the numbers though - even with the numbers it’s more observation and a bit arbitrary.

Last edited:
Hi @sh4d0w think you have to assess the Phosphate levels?
GSA usually appears when either too much or not enough!
Pogostemon helferi is stretching for light.....this plant does better out in the open.
There is another stem with similar issues not sure of the identity....try moving them into a more open area of the foreground.
See how they react...if they don't progress, then Co2 needs attention the lighting period needs to be increased to 8 hours gradually.
The hair grass looks a tad yellow, but this might be the lighting?

So update 1:
50% water change.
Spot dosed liquid carbon to as many of the damaged leaves as I could giveen the dosage allowed.
Doubled CO2 and now plants are pearling much better.
Will test water todau since I did water change yest.
Lights have been left on 100% for now. so i can monitor change better.

Big cut back of all dead or damage leaves and trimmed back some of the denser cover to allow more light at lower depths.

IMG_4902.jpg
IMG_4915.jpg

Major trim - Back to back waters - (look at my edit as I made a mistake here) front loaded - co2 up a bit - some mL daily afterwards (I may even go lower like 2-3mL daily after you front load) 👍

Rinse and repeat whenever you water change next!

If algae does not change, a bit more co2 (your distribution looks good and I think based on your photos, the 9ml probably provides good K for your GH/KH). Then watch. And continue.

EDIT:
gah … I forgot that the 9ml is the daily. It’s probably worth going into the fert calculator and figuring out what exactly ATP gives then looking at your GH/KH then figuring out what your front loaded amount should be … from there you reset the column to the desired targets then repeat.

You could probably guess at 27 mL ~ 3x daily dose and then see what happens.

It’s tough to guess with any degree of certainty without the numbers though - even with the numbers it’s more observation and a bit arbitrary.
I can never get my head around the fert calculator if i am honest, maybe i am just a being a bit simple

Back