• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What top layer to use with Tropica AquaCare Plant Substrate??

Ryan Young

Hey, thanks for reading.
Basically I want to use Tropica AquaCare Plant Substrate as a bottom layer as it seems to be a cheaper and reliable bottom layer, I am using a brown/red rock, what top layer should I use on a cheaper budget?
Please attach pictures or links if you can.

I used some very fine sand & it layered very nicely ... I basically followed the video "directions" from Tropica: layer Growth Substrate in dry tank, add dry sand etc on top, add small amount of water & plant, then fill tank ...
I did place a sheet of plastic or paper towel over the substrate (sand), then slowly added water to a few cm's - still no "standing water" but substrate is now damp - quite the easiest way to place each stem etc into the substrate.
Remember to spray frequently if you're a slow planter or haven't prepped all your plants ahead of time (like me :oops:), then drape sheet/paper etc over plants & fill tank slowly.

Back