• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What kind of vacuum is use to clean diatoms on substrate?

papelboyl1

Seedling
I was reading theplantedtank.co.uk article on algae (http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm) and it was mentioned I can clean vacuum brown algae. the diatoms has form a "sticky" subtrate on the topsoil.

What kind of vaccuum can I use to clean the subtrate. I have a "vaccuum" that I use to drain the water from tank but I have a feeling it's a different kind of vacuum.

Can you please help? thank you :)

Re: What kind of vacuum is use to clean diatoms on substrate

papelboyl1 said:
What kind of vaccuum can I use to clean the subtrate. I have a "vaccuum" that I use to drain the water from tank but I have a feeling it's a different kind of vacuum
No it isn't. Vacuum means to suck water and debris from the tank. Any siphon tube that accomplishes this qualifies as a vacuum cleaner. Do not read more into this than neccessary. That will only result in greater cost and complication. Suck the algae out as you would ordinary dirt and be done with it.

Cheers,

Back