• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What is this light brown, stringy algae?

SandraJ

Can anyone help identify this algae? I have searched online and on this forum, but can't identify it. The strands are very fine and a light brown / yellowy colour. It is hard to remove, as it is so fine. It breaks into small pieces that then float around. Plus it grows back FAST.

This is a very new aquarium, about 4 weeks old. This algae suddenly appeared after 2 weeks. Does anyone have any advice on how to get rid of it? I am worried it is blocking the light for the plants.

(I realise there are also some small patches of cyanobacteria).

Some info, in case helpful:
Tank size: 350 litres
Filter: Fluval 407 on full flow
Lights: 2x Fluval 3.0 plant lights - 6 hours at around 60%
Stocking: 6 black phantom tetras, lightly fed - added 10 days ago
Plants: added 4 weeks ago
Substrate: Fluval Stratum topped with gravel / sand
Fertiliser: TNC complete - recommend amount weekly
No CO2

Attachments

• Aquarium.jpg
    Aquarium.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 253
Last edited:
Hi @SandraJ. I'm not an expert on here - very much learning myself - but what is your maintenance routine? Diatoms are a near certainty on a new tank, although this looks quite excessive. Diatoms come off really easily and can be siphoned away at water change. They will also disappear naturally as the tank matures. If it is difficult to remove, then probably won't be that, and sure someone else might chime in.

I would also recommend some more plants, which are a the key to a lot of algae issues. Some fast growing stems, like Limnophila heterophylla might help. Also, some floaters. These are great for a new set-up and can be removed later if you want.

Someone else might comment on the ferts - I run a high-tech set up so dose a lot more, but algae is often an issue with a lack of ferts.

Be useful to know what you are doing with water changes and maintenance.

Just my thoughts - more expert people might say something different.

PS: Will look good once the issue is resolved!

Thanks for the reply!

I did the first water change about 10 days ago, just before I put the first fish in. I did not do any changes for the first 2.5 weeks as there were no animals in the tank (maybe that was a mistake?). I am doing another water change today, after my new pump arrives.

I am planning to do water changes weekly, as it is now being stocked with animals.

I would up your water changes for a bit. The lower stuff looks like diatoms, so with 50% change you can probably siphon away a lot of it. Diatoms will also go of their own accord in time. Good housekeeping with your filter also helps in my view - remembering to only clean the media in old tank water. Sure you know that, but just in case.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get rid of it? I am worried it is blocking the light for the plants.
Siphon off as much of the filamentosus diatoms as possible from the plants and substrate using a hose pipe, anything that's left on the plant leaves should rub off with your fingers, just be careful not to damage the leaves when you rub them. Then do a big water change.

The above steps may need to be repeated a couple of times.
Lights: 2x Fluval 3.0 plant lights - 6 hours at around 60%
That's a lot of light for a low tech tank, especially considering you have slow growing, low light demanding plants.

Can I suggest lowering this to 35%.

Diatoms generally come and go on new set ups, so a little patience is required and a bit of elbow grease 😉

Hi Sandra
Rhizoclonium
Highslide JS
Highslide JS
Highslide JS
DescriptionStrands of fine green or brownish threads which are soft and slimy.
CauseLow CO2 and poor water flow. Low nutrient levels. General lack of maintenance.
RemovalIncrease CO2 levels and check nutrient dosing. Give the tank a good cleaning. Overdosing Excel, EasyCarbo or TNC Carbon should also clear it. Amano shrimp will eat it.

I would switch off one of the Fluval lights till the aquarium is mature, probably a few months!
You have very light coloured sand which gives a lot of reflection....not good for a immature set-up.
You can use a old tooth brush to help remove the algae.
Use this Tutorial below which always helps.....
High maintenance in the first few weeks is key to help combat algae.
hoggie

Someone suggest this could be a fungus, rather than algae. Could that be the case?

I will make sure to have less light in the aquarium. Thanks for the advice!

There is also a mildew/mouldy smell coming from the water, which may point to a fungus rather than algae.

@SandraJ
Fungus/Bacteria/Biofilm usually have a jelly type make up covering new wood in the aquarium.
Usually whitish/opaque in colour.....snails will eat it.

If the water is stinky I would remove the wood and give a good clean underneath and wash and scrub the wood in clean water!
Do the biggest water change possible.....I suspect you have dead spots underneath the wood.

Hi Sandra
I would clean the filter, if you have Activated Carbon that will help to remove pollutants.
You will need to remove the AC after about 4 weeks as it will leach the nasties back into the aquarium that you removed previously.

I don't know the species but I've observed such algae in tanks with pieces of wood "not dead enough".

Thanks for all the useful advice. I will take action accordingly. (although I do hope I don't need to get rid of my beautiful piece of wood - it makes the tank and also has anubias growing on it!)

Hi all,
It maybe the lack of water changes. I like <"regular low volume water changes">, others will prefer a larger volume weekly change.

I honestly wouldn't worry too much. I'd follow @John q 's advice and add @Karacticus / @GHNelson's <"floating"> or floated stem plants <"Using stem plants as a filtering aid at Start Up!">.
Siphon off as much of the filamentosus diatoms as possible from the plants and substrate using a hose pipe
and then have a look at <"Seasoned Tank Time"> & <"The scientific background to the "Leaf Colour Chart"">.
The lower stuff looks like diatoms,
Rhizoclonium
I'm not sure, but I'm leaning towards Rhizoclonium. Have a look at <"Algae on Christmas Moss"> and touch should tell.
I don't know the species but I've observed such algae in tanks with pieces of wood "not dead enough".
Would be my guess as well. It should be fine once any <"residual sap"> has gone.
There is also a mildew/mouldy smell coming from the water, which may point to a fungus rather than algae.
The filaments are definitely algal, fungal hyphae don't have any chlorophyll, diatoms have accessory pigments that make them brownish, rather than "grass green". The smell maybe from the wood.

I'm not trying to be funny, but you <"will get good advice on UKAPS">, the same isn't necessarily true elsewhere.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back