• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What is the quietest canister you've used?

I found OASE Biomaster can differ from unit to unit; my first 250 was kinda noisy (audible) but second one was very much silent.

Dennerle's Scaper's Flow and Shiruba's XB-305 (they are pretty much the same) are pretty quiet for me as well.

Then again, 'quiet' is pretty much subjective, and whether the filter is placed in a cabinet, on a mat, etc are important factors as well.

My Tetratec EX400 is virtually silent, EX600 has a slight hum. I had an Eheim many years ago that was good but my current Eheim Classic is noisy as is a Sera.

Yes they still come with ribbed tubes.
Are they the same on the inside? I ask as some hoses for other applications can be ribbed or corrugated on the outside but relatively smooth on the inside. I don’t know how they make them but I guess it’s to improve flow rates?

Interesting thread, we got an Eheim Ecco Pro200 for our planted tank but very disappointed by the amount of noise, ( vibration/ hum, not water noise) and if we put it inside the cabinet it just made things louder ! the cabinet seeming to act as a sounding board ?
Has anyone had success in making a cover for an external filter that does reduce the noise substantially, we tried a few things but nothing seemed to work as such.

When looking at the prices of the current Fluval External filters here in the UK, its noticable that there is a big difference (20%+) in their prices from some of the more well known suppliers, there isn't a 'grey import ' market for them that allows some to sell cheaper that we should avoid ?

Cabinets can indeed make the noise worse. Sitting the canister on closed cell foam can help stop vibration being transferred to the cabinet

Edit: I’ve just checked the dB level on my two filters, an EX400 and an EX600 with an app on my iPad and it was just 38dB with them both running. IPad was just 250mm from the filters. With the cabinet closed it went up to 44db! I must try and sort this out.
Edit 2: it might be interesting to see what dB reading others get from their filters? This is the app I used.
1232AC5E-678B-4563-A253-F5A2C03A7FAB.jpeg

Last edited:
Aquael Ultramax series, Blau stainless steel filter and Ada superjet with the v2.0 pump (es300-es150) are the more silent I had.
Worse was the Oase biomaster , filtosmart 100 and 60.

I have two Tetratec EX1200's running in a cabinet across the room and the noise from the airstone bubbles is more noticeable than the filters.
With the cabinet door open at 1m it bounces between 39.2 and 40.1db on the one thats slighty noisier (I think it's about time for maintenance on that one). With the doors closed it's more like 38.5.

I have two Tetratec EX1200's running in a cabinet across the room and the noise from the airstone bubbles is more noticeable than the filters.
With the cabinet door open at 1m it bounces between 39.2 and 40.1db on the one thats slighty noisier (I think it's about time for maintenance on that one). With the doors closed it's more like 38.5.
Yes, had sunsun and eden before, now have tetra 1200 plus, it's really silent, easily can sleep in the same room without issue if needed

Iv been running a Tetratec EX600 continuously for over 12 years, it’s never missed a beat and as silent as the day I bought it (inside the cabinet) it does have a very quiet hum up close.

The worst thing on those filter is the priming, the rubber seal below the priming mechanism is cheap quality, it was built for leak. I had a massive leak, i used silicone and used tons of force to lock the priming system forever. I recommand to never use it actually, it won't make pressure on the rubber and can avoid leak

The worst thing on those filter is the priming, the rubber seal below the priming mechanism is cheap quality, it was built for leak. I had a massive leak, i used silicone and used tons of force to lock the priming system forever. I recommand to never use it actually, it won't make pressure on the rubber and can avoid leak
That's the old head design as far as I'm aware, They've redesigned it twice I never had a leak once I moved to the middle design. The most recent redesign being the upgrade to the Tetra EX1500 (they've added flow to all models 400/600/800/1200 are now 500/700/1000/1500) in August 2021. I thought had resolved the issue with the priming leaks. That being said I agree with never using the priming pump, it self primes pretty well.

That's the old head design as far as I'm aware, They've redesigned it twice I never had a leak once I moved to the middle design. The most recent redesign being the upgrade to the Tetra EX1500 (they've added flow to all models 400/600/800/1200 are now 500/700/1000/1500) in August 2021. I thought had resolved the issue with the priming leaks. That being said I agree with never using the priming pump, it self primes pretty well.
Yes got to agree about the priming pump, it's not the best is it. I used it when I first got it but soon learned to leave it alone and let it self prime, maybe that's why iv never had a leak.

It is due an upgrade though hence the interest in this post!

Back