• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What is the quietest canister you've used?

I've owned Biomaster 350, 600, an Eheim 2213 and a Fluval 307 over the last few years. I love the features of the Oase but frankly - both of them were far, far too loud (and I'm referring just to pump noise, not trapped air etc)

The Fluval and Eheim however, are both very quiet, with the Fluval being virtually silent. I place silence quite high up on the list of important features in a filter, so much so that for my next tank, I'll probably get another Fluval (407).

For those people who are sensitive to noise, which other filters have you owned that you've been pleased with?

Now i have replaced the impellers and bearings, my 2217’s are pretty much silent

Eheim 2224. Can’t hear it outside the cabinet. Often have to put my ear basically on the filter at times.

Shame the turnover isn’t world beating at 700lph and the big brother isn’t anything like as quiet.

Eheim 2224. Can’t hear it outside the cabinet. Often have to put my ear basically on the filter at times.

Shame the turnover isn’t world beating at 700lph and the big brother isn’t anything like as quiet.

My 2080’s are louder than the 2217’s

The 2080 isn’t in the same family as the 2224?
It also produces 700lph more than a 2217?
The pro 4 is a noisy ol filter compared to a 2213 which is in turn a noisy filter compared to a 2222?
But yeah.
The 2080 is noisy but it’s not as noisy as an oase washing machine. I mean. Filter.

Hi all,

l've had / got a couple of these and they (I think I've owned four) have all been pretty much silent.

Cheers Darrel

Probably not helpful, but I second the fluval. It's as close to silent as a filter can be when there's no gas trapped in it. With a pre-filter sponge on the intake, and the intake set low in the tank to avoid sucking up too many bubbles, it will run near-silent even outside of a cabinet.

Fluval 106. Happy to be the third person to say they are the quietest. With proper tubing they are even quieter.

Its starting to sound like Fluval make the quietest filters! I don't much care for their interior arrangement but I've found their turnover to be excellent and stay strong even between cleanings.

Ive had Fluval, eheim, Oase but the quietest of all the filters i have owned has to be the Aquael 2000 Max, It was dead silent even with my ear next to it.
I dont know if i'm lucky but i use 2 Oase biomaster 850's on my Discus tank and they are very quiet, certainly not as loud as alot people seem to say.

Fluval 407 and FX6 are very quiet. Have both running on a 600 liter tank and can't hear them. I have to touch the FX6 to confirm it's working. If I stick my head in the cabinet I can hear a hum from the 407.

Fluval 407 and FX6 are very quiet. Have both running on a 600 liter tank and can't hear them. I have to touch the FX6 to confirm it's working. If I stick my head in the cabinet I can hear a hum from the 407.
Interesting about the FX6 - its such a big filter I assumed it was pretty loud - shame it doesn't use 16/22 hoses or I'd have one in moment.

All my previous fluvals have been silent.

My ehiem pro 3 2075 I have now which are second hand now are very quiet too. Quite happy with the flow they kick out aswell.

Eheim classic that I had years ago was probably the quietest. But output was not great - in the days before 10X flow, so not sure if it's a fair comparison.

Back