• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What is goingnon with my limnophila

Danlacey1988

So I've never seen this happen before but my limnophila has started to grow in some kind of crazy leafs don't know how clear it is on the photo but it's never happened before and thought you guys might know

Attachments

• 20230422_124319.jpg
    20230422_124319.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 290
Hi Darrel
The only problem is I don't use co2 nor is the plant anywhere near the surface the whole stem if like that it's about half way up my tank all the other stems look normal
Maybe this one was just random
For a second there I thought I might have a diffrent plant mixed in with it
But all the rest look the same
Looks cool though I just couldn't work out what was going on

Looks like a very light deprived

Looks like a very light deprived
Forget that....as Ranunculus inundatus produces runners! :banghead:

Forget that....as Ranunculus inundatus produces runners! :banghead:
I think that particular one on the right may be a Ceratopteris Thalictroides.
For a second there I thought I might have a diffrent plant mixed in with it
That would be my guess. The stem in the picture isn't limnophila sessiliflora.
It could be one of the Cabombaceae as well - they look quite similar to Limnophilas and may be mixed accidentally.
Might it be Limnophila aromatica?
I think its leaves are too feathery for aromatica.
Limnophila aromatica is actually quite easy to be told - just rub part of it between fingers and if the scent resembles of lime, lemon etc (much stronger for emersed plant) then you can toss it into frying pan and mix with rice, shrimps, ginger and some bamboo shoots for example. Though submersed ones may smell a bit of mud as well.

Aromatica was one of my biggest discoveries when it comes to the planted tanks and the kitchen.

Hi all,
right may be a Ceratopteris Thalictroides.
Looks like it might be. The new fronds will <"unfurl from a crozier"> (so like a little fist) if it is. It may also have new plants growing from the leaves.
It could be one of the Cabombaceae as well - they look quite similar to Limnophilas and may be mixed accidentally.
I don't think it is a Cabomba because the leaves are in whorls.
I think its leaves are too feathery for aromatica.
I think you are right.

cheers Darrel

So today I took out the stem and one right next to it to show the difference only two stems have done this and both are fully under water and growing right next to each other

Attachments

• 20230513_113258.jpg
    20230513_113258.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 128
  • 20230513_113247.jpg
    20230513_113247.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 103
A few months ago I've acquired Limnophila sp. Belém. It seems to be rather easy to keep, but I've completely failed to get that distinctive purple coloration. The result is completely unattractive. Is it because I don't inject CO2? Or weak lighting?
What is your experience with this species?

Kind of agree with Hoggie re Limnophila Heterophylla, though I think there's a mutation aspect too, perhaps environmentally or nutrient driven, as the leaf shape does not look consistent - the very newest and oldest sections on the plant on the left in post #11 looking normal but the middle different.

It can vary so much depending on light, even for stems next to each other.

Here's one in my garden aquarium and the smaller stem third from the right has broader leaves, overall it grows almost like a carpeting plant outside. It looks completely different in my main tank, especially colouring near the tips.

Attachments

• 20231008_102605.jpg
    20231008_102605.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 46
  • 20231008_102611.jpg
    20231008_102611.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 44
  • 20231008_103958.jpg
    20231008_103958.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 50
A few months ago I've acquired Limnophila sp. Belém. It seems to be rather easy to keep, but I've completely failed to get that distinctive purple coloration. The result is completely unattractive. Is it because I don't inject CO2? Or weak lighting?
What is your experience with this species?
Usually, it requires to be near the surface under higher lighting levels to produce reddish/purple crowns!
It will carpet if left long enough to do so.

Back