• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What best plant for lush carpet effect

Hi all,

Unfortunately @Akwaskape doesn't come to the forum any more, but their tanks show what you can do low tech and with <"hard, alkaline water">.

cheers Darrel
I can do both water types I have marine tank so can do ro , or tap water so I have started with tap water at the minute but if it works out better I will do 50/50 it's just a waiting game to see what works best for my aquarium

Hi all,
so I have started with tap water at the minute
Quite tricky to know how hard your tap water is in the wider Liverpool area, you have everything from <"soft to very hard water">. What does your water company say?

Our water is hard (about 17dGH / 17 dKH), but <"I use rainwater in the tanks">.

_england-wales-jpg.jpg

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all,

Quite tricky to know how hard it is in the Greater Liverpool area, you have everything from soft to very hard water. What does your water company say?

Our water is hard (about 17dGH / 17 dKH), but I use rainwater in the tanks.

View attachment 213718
cheers Darrel
Didn't even no that was a thing I will look at that later thanks very much I will even just check it my self have all the kits lol . I am excited to see how this goes . I do quite good with marine .

When it comes to carpet plants, I'm rather finicky. To me, most of them are too tall, in the end. As far as I have checked, there's only one species which remains firmly attached to the substrate, covering it with tiny leaves and not attempting to grow higher - Elatine hydropiper. It's available only as tissue culture and to me it seems very difficult to establish; I'd say no more than one in five attempts is successful. I can seldom see this species in hobbyists tanks, so I suppose it's not only me who finds it difficult.
So, is there anyone around who can share his/her experience with this species, and perhaps give some advice?

I have had some good success with the larger of Marsilea hirsuta and Marsilea crenata (forget which is which) becoming dense, well attached and short. It's not looking so good now because I allowed it to get overshadowed by nearby epiphytes but where it gets light it's thick and springy.

Monte Carlo does ok in non co2 tanks, yes it will need trimmed, but it grows in very densely

Monte Carlo does ok in non co2 tanks, yes it will need trimmed, but it grows in very densely
I have tried Monte Carlo several times without luck (no pun intended). I came to the conclusion that Monte Carlo is unsuitable for a lower light low tech tank. Do you have any insights to share? I would love to give it another try.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
I have tried Monte Carlo several times without luck. I came to the conclusion that Monte Carlo is unsuitable for a lower light low tech tank. Do you have any insights to share? I would love to give it another try.

Cheers,
Michael
When I grew it low tech, I used a 12hr light period (to be honest I use that light period whether low or high tech), and light rating was probably low/medium, definitely not high.

When I grew it low tech, I used a 12hr light period (to be honest I use that light period whether low or high tech), and light rating was probably low/medium, definitely not high.
Interesting… I’m running my tanks light 12h/day as well (always did with my current tanks)… Do you remember the sort of water conditions you kept them under?

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Interesting… I’m running my tanks light 12h/day as well (always did with my current tanks)… Do you remember the sort of water conditions you kept them under?

Cheers,
Michael
I have soft water as i'm in Scotland, i did a 50% water change each week, used TNC ferts at the time, and it was a cherry shrimp/betta tank.

The growth low tech was a lot slower than high tech, but it rooted in over time, there is a pic of here on it somewhere, i'll try to find it

How often would you say it needs trimming on average?

Thanks!
for me in low tech, it wasn't often, even with diy co2 like yeast, you would likely see a night and day difference in how often you'd need to trim.

Back