• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What are your two of the most eye opening threads/topics on the UKAPS?

Witcher

Name/link only two please.

Two only.

master-yoda-always-two-there-are.gif

For me these two have changed totally my way of keeping aquatic plants:

I always bow down to the experimenters
Weekly nutrient consumption in planted aquarium

and to the inventors (it's a search through the UKAPS, not direct link to the particular thread)
Duckweed index

PS: I'm sorry for the sand only substrate mafia but two means two.

Last edited:
The 2 most important things I feel I learnt from UKAPS (which have been reiterated in many different threads so it is difficult to attribute the learning to a particular thread) are:
(1) Ferts don't cause algae
(2) Flow is king, especially at the substrate level.

Bit controversial I know😅
But for me it would be these two threads

Both threads introduced me to marcels work and the former is the first place I’ve seen happis work. For which I am very grateful

UKAPS is a mine of information, some of it fairly advanced, thanks to the contributions of key members, and experts @dw1305 and @ceg4048. But it's nearly all built upon a solid foundation of basics, which makes the forum accessible to pretty much everyone, and especially those just starting out on their planted tank journey. So for this reason alone I think anything from the tutorials section has to be top of my list, with Clive's @ceg4048 tutorials being among the most helpful.

It's an impossible question but the tutorials and articles l go back to again and a again. Always look in on journals were possible whether it's a experienced aquascaper/planted tank guru or a new to the hobby member. I would add @Tim Harrison " Soil Substrate Dirted Tank "probably put me on to the Diana Walsted book, and the work of the Fertiliser chaps @Zeus. and company and as mentioned above the" Duckweed Index "was big learning curve. Always read how members try to get to the question why? as regards algae plant growth, lighting etc @jaypeecee and others

As above really, too numerous to mention, but any post which answers my questions is an eye opener, as it's something I didn't know until somebody told me.
If I was to narrow it down then I like the way @ceg4048 answers questions, straight to the point, no nonsense, just tells it how it is.

Too many to mention although bucket of mud and poco pozo was why I signed up initially. There are also so many posters that provide great information and I have learnt a lot since I joined, it’s a fantastic friendly forum. @Geoffrey Rea And @dw1305 stand out and I always learn something reading their posts although they are certainly not the only ones!

If you want to spend an hour or six and learn.

Last edited:
Back