• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water testing

Am I right whilst reading this whole no testing approach, that nobody is concerned with nitrAte levels, even if they could potentially be quite high. I live in London and the nitrates striaght out of my tap are about 40ppm. Therefore putting this straight in to my tank will only increase every time I do a water change. Iv started to do water changes with lfs RO water as I really want to reduce my nitrates. (Purely because he internet constantly tells me that high nitrates can be 'extremely harmful' in high measures).

As you can probably tell by now Chris we don't tend to take much notice of test kits results because of their unreliability as the results can be off by the person reading it, other chemicals in the tank throwing it out plus we're dealing with small quantities so would you tell the difference on a test kit between say 10 and 20ppm. Having said that where does the Nitrate legend and folklore come from and why does everything else on the internet tell you the exact opposite of what is said in here. It would probably make sense to understand the big differences between a planted tank and fish only systems.

Plants love Ammonia which is why it is in terrestrial plant fertilisers but fish don't its toxic to them. In a tank we have a biological filter which converts fish waste (Ammonia) into nitrite then nitrate. We don't have any evidence AFAIK unless some wants to link it (please do that would sort a lot of things out) that high Nitrates cause issues with the majority of our fish even at ridiculous values. You would get more issues from the salt the Nitrate came in on than the actual Nitrate as Ian suggests and others have experimented, sometimes deliberate sometimes accidental. In a fish only system there's nothing to remove the Nitrate after the conversion, your filter would need to be running anaerobic (without oxygen) to remove the Nitrate, if your filter is running anaerobic then really it's time to clean it because if it has no oxygen it won't be doing the Ammonia to Nitrite conversion which is by far the most important for the fish. So Nitrates keep building up in a fish only system which could I guess accelerate algae growth but TBH most things accelerate algae growth, if you have a glass of water in a sunny window algae would thrive off that :D probably where most of stuff you find on the internet comes from so companies who sell Nitrate removing resins etc for people like you who already have plenty Nitrate in the tapwater so without RO water you will never get rid of it even with lots of tapwater changes, as such these products are legitimate in fish only systems and why everyone will tell you Nitrate is bad and causes algae.

Coming back to a planted tank, all the above doesn't apply other than the conversion of Ammonia to Nitrite. Plants love Ammonia even more than they do Nitrate because plants need to do a little bit extra work to convert Nitrate to plant mass than it does Ammonia, so in our tanks we have a competition going on between the plants and the filter to try and snatch as much Ammonia as they can, some people have even experimented with adding Ammonia with the filter knocked off to see how it improves plant growth :eek: mixed results. Ammonia rarely ever becomes an issue in an established planted tank other than initial setup period while bacteria builds up on the surfaces and filter. Plants will consume a lot of Nitrate instead of the Ammonia really effectively, that's why plants are used to clean up contaminated water supplies and sewerage. Our biggest worry is running out of Nitrate. Plants need Traces, Phosphate, Potassium, Nitrogen, Magnesium and depending on how high your lighting is maybe carbon in the form of liquid or gas. Think of it as building a wall with bricks, sand, cement and water, miss one out and the wall will fall down. Nitrate and potassium being the ones plants use the most of.

So where does that leave us regarding testing, luckily we have two options available as a control. We have @plantbrain Estimative Index and @dw1305 Duckweed Index, one to tell you when you don't have enough and one that tells you how much you won't need given every thing else like co2 and distribution is in order. Firstly EI, loads of light was put over a tank and it was established that with light most of us don't have or would be necessary that there was a maximum amount of ferts you need to add, the figures were as follows..

Nitrate (NO3) 20ppm per week
Potassium (K) 30ppm per week
Phosphate (PO4) 3ppm per week
Magnesium (Mg) 10ppm per week
Iron (Fe) 0.5ppm per week

On the other end of the scale Duck weed Index will tell you if you've run out of ferts, floating plants get their co2 from the atmosphere where there's plenty of it so regardless of how much co2 you pump in the tank if floaters are failing chances are its your fertilisers in one way or another. So now we have a far more accurate test kit that looks better as well. Using the process of elimination we can combine the two methods to work out if we have any problems in our tanks. People will say listen to the plants not test kits.

Coming back to your tank and the suspected 40ppm Nitrate which will be an average from your water company, some days higher some days lower. Because plants consume a lot of Nitrate, up to 20ppm per week with high lighting or roughly 3ppm per day given half the chance even with the plants using just 1ppm per day with no extra from you and using tap water at 50% per week it's never going to go very high, in fact its going to go down.

Graph Below for 1ppm per day.

chart.png

Now base that on 3ppm per day.

3ppm.png

If you’re running high lighting, not dosing Nitrate and you do happen to have 40ppm out the tap as you can see on some days you are running dangerously close to running out just before the water change. Rather than worrying about Nitrate what you should be thinking is happy days, I get free Nitrate from my water company while all these mugs are paying for it. :D

In the case of EI users, they just dose all the ferts at the highest level which leaves them able to concentrate more on co2 and distribution as they know the ferts are covered. Obviously how much ferts people's tanks will use will depend on how bright their lighting is, because we all have different lights we don't have to match the uptake to the light. We just need to stay in the range between EI and your floating plants dying.

In your case, if you are lucky enough to have this much Nitrate, if you add Phosphate, Pottasium, Magnesium and traces at EI levels and the floating plants die chances are you've ran out of Nitrates. I hope this goes some way to explain why testing for Nitrates is pointless and why in planted tanks the same rules don't apply for fish only systems.

As you can see I have far too much time on my hands today waiting for the BT engineer coming out to install my phone line ;):D

Last edited:
thanks for taking the time. I'm going to have to read this a few times to digest it all.

Our biggest worry is running out of Nitrate. Plants need Traces, Phosphate, Potassium, Nitrogen, Magnesium and depending on how high your lighting is maybe carbon in the form of liquid or gas.

so I dose 2ml per day of TNC complete. (I was using TNC LITE due to the fact I didn't want to add anymore nitrate to my tank) but since using the complete, I have noticed a significant growth, especially my anubias.

I also dose 3ml of TNC CARBON per day.
floating plants get their co2 from the atmosphere where there's plenty of it so regardless of how much co2 you pump in the tank if floaters are failing chances are its your fertilisers

I don't have any co2 going into my tank. the tables on the internet suggest my dissolved co2 is very low... My Kh is 6 and ph 7.8. Iv often wondered if added co2 would be nessecary.
Also my lights are very low. 2 x t8 30w each. 160l tank.
sorry just spouting my thoughts. Still a novice really but I'm getting there. Ta for the help.

thanks for taking the time. I'm going to have to read this a few times to digest it all.

so I dose 2ml per day of TNC complete. (I was using TNC LITE due to the fact I didn't want to add anymore nitrate to my tank) but since using the complete, I have noticed a significant growth, especially my anubias.

I also dose 3ml of TNC CARBON per day.

I don't have any co2 going into my tank. the tables on the internet suggest my dissolved co2 is very low... My Kh is 6 and ph 7.8. Iv often wondered if added co2 would be nessecary.
Also my lights are very low. 2 x t8 30w each. 160l tank.
sorry just spouting my thoughts. Still a novice really but I'm getting there. Ta for the help.
Just had a look at TNC lite, I hadn't heard of it. Looks like it's nitrate and phosphate free. Maybe if you have high nitrate the phosphate is what you were missing if you have seen an improvement but then again you said you were using RO so basically taking Nitrate out then putting it back in with your TNC Complete.

The light version might be OK given your lighting although phosphate is missing. Adding the liquid carbon will increase growth. I would say sticking to liquid carbon rather than gas would be your best bet for now. Depends which way you want to go mate, if you are buying your RO I would just use Tapwater and TNC lite and see how that pans out, if it's your RO system you could mix RO and tapwater to soften it and use the TNC Complete.

"For lightly planted aquariums & for aquariums with a high fish population."

The high fish population part refers to what we were saying earlier about Ammonia, lots of fish will convert to Nitrate hence TNC has left it out of the lite mix and not many plants means you won't need as much. There will be some po4 in the tapwater and you get some from fish food.

You could probably get away with lite if just using Tapwater.

Sent from my STH100-2 using Tapatalk

that's exactly what I have done. I was buying the RO from LFS. So iv decided not to do that anymore for the time being. Save me a few bob per week.
I'm going to use the rest of what is in the bottle of my TNC lite then will go on to the complete. Not keen on going down the co2 route. Hence why I'm choosing plants that are low tech. Anubias, crypts and valls.
cheers mate.

Hi all,
I don't have any co2 going into my tank. the tables on the internet suggest my dissolved co2 is very low... My Kh is 6 and ph 7.8.
You won't have very much CO2, but you can't use the table to estimate the CO2, based on the pH and carbonate hardness (dKH), it only works if you are adding CO2.

There is an <"explanation here">.

If you don't add CO2 (and I don't) the best way to maintain levels of all dissolved gases is to have a <"large gas exchange surface">, either by using a wet and dry trickle filter, or having plenty of laminar flow.

cheers Darrel

that is quite complicated to understand. (possibly because iv had a few beers).
anyhow, I have installed a power head, to help circulate the water.
one thing iv been wondering is should it be directed to the surface (which will create bubbles/surface agitation), or underneath the water level just to move the water around.

Attachments

• WP_20171020_21_30_33_Pro.jpg
    WP_20171020_21_30_33_Pro.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 110
so. After doing a small water change last night iv woken up this morning to two dead tetras. I didn't use RO water I just used my tap water. And even found a old heater which i put into the bucket of water before adding to my tank.
Used easy life filter media which is also used for dechlorinating. I'm not 100% about this product as it claims to do so many things within the tank as well as claiming to be 100% natural. Amonoa this morning rested at almost zero maybe 10ppm.
what happened to my fish I wonder?

so. After doing a small water change last night iv woken up this morning to two dead tetras. I didn't use RO water I just used my tap water. And even found a old heater which i put into the bucket of water before adding to my tank.
Used easy life filter media which is also used for dechlorinating. I'm not 100% about this product as it claims to do so many things within the tank as well as claiming to be 100% natural. Amonoa this morning rested at almost zero maybe 10ppm.
what happened to my fish I wonder?
How long did you have the fish?

Sent from my STH100-2 using Tapatalk

so. After doing a small water change last night iv woken up this morning to two dead tetras.

Oh mate, that's a bummer. Have you used nothing but RO up to now? I'm imagining your tapwater is very hard. If you intend to go down the route of just using tapwater you might have to do this gradually. Do you have a TDS pen? If you haven't they're a very handy piece of kit to have in your arsenal, relatively cheap sub £10 on ebay and get on you can calibrate. TDS is a measure of the total dissolved solids in your tank, it won't tell you what it is made up of just what it all adds up to but that's fine because the fish only know what the total "feels like" Fish don't like to change TDS values in a hurry which is why we need to acclimatise fish when swapping from one tank to the other. Seems strange though if it was just a small water change. You might have to buy some more RO water and mix it with your tapwater at slightly less ratios over the next few weeks, Like a third Tapwater then half then two thirds until you gradually get to just tap. Just throw them both in the same bucket before changes but still add your dechlorinatior. Putting the new water in should be done as realistically slow as you can just to get your existing fish used to the new setup. Is getting some rainwater an option? Just stick a bucket in the garden this time of year, if you get 5 or 6 litres to mix with your tapwater it's better than nothing.

You could always just do what a lot of member from your neck of the woods do which is use 50:50 Tap and RO. at least you've halved your spend on RO water if you have somewhere to store it. London water really is crap for soft water species. Another thing I would also do is get those floating plants, I can't remember the name of the exact species maybe @dw1305 can point you in the right direction, post in the For Sale Swap Wanted section of the forum I'm sure someone will have some. I've just totally thinned mine out after a tank move but they are fast growers so if you want to hold back a couple of weeks I could post some of mine, I'm setting up a non co2 low tech tank over the next couple of weeks so maybe we can have a plant swap as the ones you have might be better suited for this tank. You have both TNC Lite and Complete so if you mix a bottle of each you could dose the Lite on most days and any signs of the floaters looking a bit ropey dose a couple days with the complete.

Another thing I would suggest is getting out and grabbing some Oak leaves if you can, if moving to harder water they are beneficial in stopping iron becoming toxic as well as all the other benefits of having Tannin and Humic acid brings to fish health. Try and get them away from high traffic areas ideally out in the sticks and store them dry. Give a rinse before putting in the tank.

I tend to think TDS change is the biggest killer amongst fish when moving them about, maybe why it was the neons that took the hit notorious for enjoying soft water but that's not definite mate just a possibility. Could even have been that your RO water filled tank was neutral to acid PH and your tapwater drove it up into alkaline which makes Ammonia toxic (usually ok in acid water although you really don't want any ammonia)

As for flow, try and keep your filter outlet and wavemaker thing pointing in the same direction, pointing at each other reduces their impact and just far enough under the surface to create a nice ripple to help with gas exchange.

I'm feeling your pain, I bought three Ottos from my LFS last week and was surprised to find that my LFS tank water had a TDS of 500! I keep mine below 200 Max, even after spending 5 hours drip acclimatising which is quite difficult when the LFS only bagged them with 200ml of water i spent all week picking the poor things corpses out the tank one by one over the next few days. These fish are notorious for survival rates and generally in poor health at the store. Even though my water was much better suited for them in the long run there was some change they couldn't deal with, possibly co2, who knows. hence my next low tech setup is going to be a non co2 Otto only species tank and see if I can breed some stronger fish as a little project. I could only guess the LFS TDS was so high because he runs fish only systems and maybe it was the accumulation of keeping thousands of fish in a closed system. His water out the tap is like mine very sofy and low in TDS but its a decent shop with a very knowledgable owner so maybe he keeps it that was as a happy medium for all the various species he keeps, who knows.

I assume you dechlorinated your water used for water change ?
Yeah he did Ian, looked at that product and it is a dechlorinator.

BTW mate, forgot to mention, your plants right now are looking healthy so you're definitely doing something right. Any pictures of the full tank?

Have you used nothing but RO up to now?

the tank has been running for over two years now I think. And iv only started using RO in the last two months. And even then it's only been 20litres a week. so the majority of the tank is from my tap.

Do you have a TDS pen?

I don't have one of these but am certainly going to look into it.

Another thing I would also do is get those floating plants,

I was in another lfs earlier today (let's say one of the big stores) and they only had one floating plant in their tank and matey didn't know what it was called so i didnt buy it.

I've just totally thinned mine out after a tank move but they are fast growers so if you want to hold back a couple of weeks I could post some of mine,

this is definitely some thing I'd be interested in.

hence my next low tech setup is going to be a non co2 Otto only species tank and see if I can breed some stronger fish as a little project.

keep us updated on ur progress. never kept ottos before. So don't no much about them.

Hi all,
I was in another lfs earlier today (let's say one of the big stores) and they only had one floating plant in their tank and matey didn't know what it was called so i didnt buy it.
PM me your address and I can send you a mix for p&p.

I always have spare floating plants.

cheers Darrel

Very good reading. I did quite well with tap water up to now (North Herts Area, dKH 17 and dGH 19), grew all types of plants without trouble and fish were happy. Got some Toninas about two weeks ago and within a week they were all gone. Have no choice but to change to RO water. I am starting slowly, 25% RO to tap for four weeks, then 50:50 weeks 5 to 8 and gradually increasing till I get 100% RO. First four weeks, I am not remineralising as I am relying on the existing water, from week 5, I am doing DIY remineralising with the aim of keeping 3-4dgh and 2-3dkh (ideal for Tonina). Does this sound sensible or am I victim of the Matrix?

Hi all,
First four weeks, I am not remineralising as I am relying on the existing water, from week 5, I am doing DIY remineralising with the aim of keeping 3-4dgh and 2-3dkh (ideal for Tonina).
I've never grown Tonina etc, but I probably wouldn't re-mineralise your RO water at all with a known weight of your salt mix.

You can use your tap water to cut the RO with, you are only going to need a very, very small volume of tap, so it doesn't really matter too much about the quality of the tap water. You will only really be adding Ca++ and HCO3- ions, because of the geology (Chalk).

Rather than aiming for a specific dGH/dGH value, you can use a conductivity meter to give you a datum (I'd aim for about 50 - 100 microS), and then use the <"Duckweed Index"> as an indication of when to feed the plants. The conductivity will rise after the fertiliser addition, but will drop back down again as you use RO for the water changes.

If you would rather use the salt mix, you can. Just do the same, add the amount of mix that takes you to ~100 microS in the tank. These are very small additions of salts.

Again it isn't too every-bodies taste, but I would add enough tannins to tint the water. Oak leaves, or Alder cones, are fine for this, and should allow the pH to drop down below pH7.

You will have to balance the amount of floating plant, and the tint, against the light requirements of the Tonina, and a lot of other <"plants aren't going to enjoy themselves">, due to the low nutrients and soft water.

cheers Darrel

Back