• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water Reports - Understanding what I get out of the tap

Bradders

Hi All,

Another question to ask about this aspect is to aid understanding.

As most of you know, I have a low-tech no CO2 setup in a 100L aquarium, Biomaster filtration and java fern, crypts, trident and have moss. All green and (according to some suppliers easy!) As I have quite a lot of fish, I currently does with APT1.

My question is really about how to understand what Macronutrients and Micronutrients I get out of the tap. When I look, for example, at the ingredients of a fertiliser I cannot seem to match them up to any degree within my water report (attached). I feel like I dont know what I am getting out of the tap and what I made need more or less of etc?

Is that because they are not there, or is that because I am looking at the wrong thing?

Thanks,
Brad

Attachments

• Z609-5.pdf
    337.8 KB · Views: 28
The water averages around 20 mg/l of nitrates which is fairly high, suggesting a lowland catchment including runoff from fertilisers used on farms. Would likely have some level of all other nutrients typically used in fertilizers, including macronutrients potassium and phosphorus. In fact they state that they dose phosphorus so you know for sure your water contains some, just not exactly how much.
Phosphorus Occurs naturally as well as in fertilisers and detergents but rarely
proves a problem in our supply. Phosphorus is dosed to control
lead concentrations from private plumbing.
No
standard
mgP/l
It is not the most helpful water report I have seen. My water supplier for example lists P and K.

APT1 is potassium plus micronutrients, I believe? With zero nitrogen and phosphorus, which are both plentiful in fish poop. Nitrogen is also plentiful in your water supply and phosphorus is present at an unknown level. Sounds like a good match. It would be good if the information was available to see how much potassium is in your supply, to make sure you are not over-doing it with the APT1, but I think this nutrient is relatively unlikely to cause problems at high levels. If you are worried about possible overdose of potassium just reduce the dose of APT1 to half or three quarters of recommended rate.

Hi all,
When I look, for example, at the ingredients of a fertiliser I cannot seem to match them up to any degree within my water report (attached). I feel like I dont know what I am getting out of the tap and what I made need more or less of etc?
Personally I wouldn't particularity try to match them, or worry too much about exact amounts.
APT1 is potassium plus micronutrients, I believe? With zero nitrogen and phosphorus, which are both plentiful in fish poop. Nitrogen is also plentiful in your water supply and phosphorus is present at an unknown level. Sounds like a good match.
Agreed, it is <"if it ain't broke don't fix it"> argument for me.

All the time you are happy with plant health and growth? I'd just carry on with APT1, at your normal dosing. If you aren't happy with growth? <"Add in a complete mix"> and see what happens.

If doesn't sound as scientific as matching up all your parameters, but it works and it is equally valid, you've just used your plants as <"bioassay organisms">.

cheers Darrel

Thanks, everyone!
APT1 is potassium plus micronutrients, I believe? With zero nitrogen and phosphorus, which are both plentiful in fish poop. Nitrogen is also plentiful in your water supply and phosphorus is present at an unknown level. Sounds like a good match.
All the time you are happy with plant health and growth? I'd just carry on with APT1, at your normal dosing. If you aren't happy with growth? <"Add in a complete mix"> and see what happens.

I suppose the final question is about C02. I seem to read everywhere that you will find it hard (especially as a plant newbie) to maintain healthy/growing plants without it. Some have said that trying to CO2 in the aquarium when aerating (surface agitation for 30 fish) is going to be hard enough!

Am I going to have to move to CO2 in the end? Or are my "easy" plants not going to be that fussy without it?

Having used pressurised CO2 and had plenty of low energy non CO2 ,l will say you can have a successful aquarium without CO2, trick is to choose yor plants carefully,l like to have just two or three different species keep up with maintenance and water changes. I use soft water but if l didn't l would with add Rainwater as l think Darrell does. Worth checking out some plants do well in hard water

Back