• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water Nutrient Control

Bradders

Hi All,

Silly question time!

If you have water like mine, does it make sense to use RO (in part or in full with a supplement) to help control the number of nutrients available in the water - and perhaps limit what excess Algae can use to flourish?

I am trying to understand whether there is any benefit from diluting the tap water with RO to prevent some of my water from turning green over the week in the summer months. Or does it not matter either way?

Hope that makes some sense!

Brad

Attachments

• Z609-3.pdf
    337.8 KB · Views: 15
perhaps limit what excess Algae can use to flourish?
to prevent some of my water from turning green over the week
These would definately not be the reasons why I would dillute the tap water. I would dillute it to decrease the overall water hardness which makes it harder for certain plants to grow. Also, the higher the dKH, the faster the buffering capacity of certain soils will be depleated. So if you are counting on the soil to buffer your water to keep it a certain lower PH, I would suggest dilluting your tap water with RO.
Another reason would be to decrease the amount of Na (Sodium). Your water report states 40 mg/l which looks high to me for aquarium purposes. Sodium is not an element that plants require to grow, so keeping it at a minimum would be best IMO.

Last edited:
Hi all,
If you have water like mine, does it make sense to use RO (in part or in full with a supplement) to help control the number of nutrients available in the water
Reverse Osmosis (or rain <"If it's yellow, let it mellow and RO is the devil">) water would give you a softer water source and more of a <"blank slate to start with">.

Your water supply is similar, in many ways, to what most of us get <"from the tap in the S. and E. of England">, it differs a little in that it looks like at some point (the minimum values) you got DI water from a desalination plant? or similar.

I don't see hard, alkaline water as a deal breaker, but you would need to <"choose plants and livestock adapted to it">. I've actually thought of setting up a hard, alkaline (tap water) tank specifically to allow me to keep some <"hard water snails">.
and perhaps limit what excess Algae can use to flourish?

I am trying to understand whether there is any benefit from diluting the tap water with RO to prevent some of my water from turning green over the week in the summer months
I'm not sure it will make much difference to green algal growth, if you've created conditions suitable for plant growth you've also created conditions <"suitable for green algae growth">.
Another reason would be to decrease the amount of Na (Sodium). Your water report states 40 mg/l which looks high to me for aquarium purposes. Sodium is not a element that plants require to grow, so keeping it at a minimum would be best IMO.
Agreed the sodium (Na) content <"isn't ideal">, but there isn't a huge amount you can do about it <"Principal aquifers in England and Wales | Aquifer, shale and clay maps | Groundwater | Our research | British Geological Survey (BGS)">.
Porewater found at depth in the aquifer may be saline, particularly where the Chalk is confined by Palaeogene and Quaternary deposits in the Thames Basin and across East Anglia.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back