• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water filter questions

Scaperinc

Hi all ,
I was going to buy 3 stage filter

Finerfilters 3 Stage 10" HMA Heavy Metal Reduction Water Filter System with Hozelock compatible Connections https://amzn.eu/d/eqeb9Jl

I was wondering if anyone has experience with this ?

My reasoning behind getting this is that it will make the water slightly softer , will take out chlorine and other bits and bobs

This is something I looked into a while back and from what I remember these filters won't reduce the hardness of your water. What they will do is remove particles of dirt, sediment and heavy metals, depending on the flow rate it should reduce (but not fully remove) chlorine and depending on the filter type should reduce chloramine. Note the filters in the above make no mention of chloramine, they only state "reduce levels of chlorine"

I came to the conclusion that ~

A) I'd never trust it to remove all the chlorine.
B) buying an extra filter to target chloramine would be extra $$$.
C) I don't think uk tap water at the minute contains excessively high levels of heavy metals.

I guess it boils down to what you need/want the filter to do.

This is something I looked into a while back and from what I remember these filters won't reduce the hardness of your water. What they will do is remove particles of dirt, sediment and heavy metals, depending on the flow rate it should reduce (but not fully remove) chlorine and depending on the filter type should reduce chloramine. Note the filters in the above make no mention of chloramine, they only state "reduce levels of chlorine"

I came to the conclusion that ~

A) I'd never trust it to remove all the chlorine.
B) buying an extra filter to target chloramine would be extra $$$.
C) I don't think uk tap water at the minute contains excessively high levels of heavy metals.

I guess it boils down to what you need/want the filter to do.
Thanks, i guess back to the drawing board i go

@Scaperinc If you are planning to get a filter, why don't you go the full mile and get a RO unit off them instead? Have at least two RO chambers in series, add a booster pump, and voila, you have a really good filter with a near to 1:1 waste to pure water ratio.

Hi all,
I remember these filters won't reduce the hardness of your water.
You are right, they don't make your water any softer or less alkaline - <"Some handy facts about water">.
I don't think uk tap water at the minute contains excessively high levels of heavy metals.
<"It doesn't">, although <"it might in the future"> as part of the <"Brexit Bonus">. It was EU regulation that forced <"UK water companies"> to clean up their act.
Thanks, i guess back to the drawing board i go
Could you <"use rainwater">? A lot of <"serious aquarists"> still do.

cheers Darrel

Thanks darrel, I was thinking about rainwater but i live in a flat so not sure it will work even though its on ground floor.

And it sounds like work , i was after some convenience of hooking a filter and get the job done.

I have spotless water near me so i guess for now i can keep mixing tap and RO.even that you have to drive up there full the can bring it back etc etc.( i am lazy as you can probably tell by now lol)

Dont want to get my own RO due to the waste it produces.

I have spotless water near me so i guess for now i can keep mixing tap and RO.even that you have to drive up there full the can bring it back etc etc.( i am lazy as you can probably tell by now lol)
I leave the cans in the car, fill them up and then pump the water straight out of them into a receptacle by the aquarium to heat up, remineralise and pump into tank. No heavy lifting at all.

25L Jerry can:

IMG_0032.jpeg

Back