• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water Conditioners

Bradders

Hi All,

What is everyone's view on the chemicals in water conditioners? What I have read is:
  1. Sodium Thiosulfate is less toxic at higher (accidental doses) but deals with chloramines by unbinding them and leaving ammonia.
  2. Adding water conditioner during a water change to the existing tank water (rather than the new water), creates a risk.
  3. Aloe vera is not a great additive to water conditioners as can inhibit fish oxygen exchange.
Anyone have any views on this bundle of stuff?

Brad

I am most familiar with Prime as that's what I use, but I think it either is sodium thiosulfate or is very similar to it. It's my understanding that the nature of the risk is that there's a list of stuff in the water it will react with and it has very good affinity with chlorines, chloramines, ammonia, nitrite, etc. so as long as there is some nasties around to react with it will, but if there's way too much Prime it will run out of it's preferred targets and move down the list, eventually reacting with oxygen. This can completely deoxygenate the water, killing livestock. (I'm pulling this from memory, but I trust someone will correct me if I'm misstating something.) Prime is supposed to have a safety factor built in where you can do as much as 5x the recommended dose and still be ok (i.e. not suffocate your fish), but obviously it depends on how oxygenated your water is to begin with and how much "stuff" you need to take care of. I don't remember if that 5x threshold only applies if you are treating the new water as opposed to the entire tank.

I have never heard of any problems when people are in the ballpark of the directions, including treating the entire tank. I don't think they are too hard to follow, especially if you have proper measuring equipment (I have small tanks, so I use a graduated medicine dropper), and am generally more afraid of forgetting to add Prime than adding too much.

I have also seen people kill fish with Prime. If you do your math way wrong or screw up measuring it can be deadly. But I don't feel like that is a particular mistake I am likely to make, so I'm not worried about it, especially when every alternative solution is a giant hassle.

I don't know anything about aloe in water conditioners, but man, it doesn't sound like something fish need. Aloe grows in arid areas, so there's no obviously ecological connection to freshwater fish writ large... Like, what is the pitch there?

I don't know anything about aloe in water conditioners, but man, it doesn't sound like something fish need. Aloe grows in arid areas, so there's no obviously ecological connection to freshwater fish writ large... Like, what is the pitch there?
Apparently soothes the fish and minimises stress. I cannot attest to that, but that is what it's for!

Aloe vera killed 5 of my pencil fish. It should have a proper warning.
Wow. That is not a great endorsement for Aloe vera! What happened exactly? (If you dont mind me asking)?

It was in my early days when one is gullible to things that sound good for fish. From memory it was API strescoat, which is mostly aloe. The pencil fish immediately began struggling for breath and half of them died within 2 hours, despite my doing constant water changes once I recognised the problem. This was based on the suggested dose. I looked online and found it's happened to quite a few people. Pencilfish are one of the vulnerable species – again, I forget, is it labyrinth breathers, perhaps gram as well? My Cory and gudgeon were fine. I wrote API and they kind of denied any connection was proven, but sent me a box of API stuff to make up for the upset. I have to admit I never felt much like using any of it! I really do think there should be a warning on all products with aloe in terms of aquarium usage.

It was in my early days when one is gullible to things that sound good for fish. From memory it was API strescoat, which is mostly aloe. The pencil fish immediately began struggling for breath and half of them died within 2 hours, despite my doing constant water changes once I recognised the problem. This was based on the suggested dose. I looked online and found it's happened to quite a few people. Pencilfish are one of the vulnerable species – again, I forget, is it labyrinth breathers, perhaps gram as well? My Cory and gudgeon were fine. I wrote API and they kind of denied any connection was proven, but sent me a box of API stuff to make up for the upset. I have to admit I never felt much like using any of it! I really do think there should be a warning on all products with aloe in terms of aquarium usage.
Well, I must admit that after some research online I made a decision to not use products with Aloe Vera in them. Nothing was conclusive, but there was just too much noise (i.e. why use it, it has the potential to do damage in some situations etc) for me to ignore.

I use Seachem Safe.

Works great. I have a dedicated 3/32 tsp spoon inside the jar. Three of those per water change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The thing with aloe vera is it only affects a few species, but it demonstrably does so. What is required is standard industry legal warnings. API are simply putting profit ahead of being responsible for the care of fish.

Been doing 2 regularly on my current tank with no ill effects whatsoever. Have done it in the past, but only when I forgot to mix the conditioner in the bucket, also with no ill effects.

I currently use Prime, always used to use Aquasafe.

I made my own solution with sodium thiosulphate and add 5ml to each 100L change water, along with front loading macro ferts before use, costs next to nothing.

Hi all,
Sodium Thiosulfate is less toxic at higher (accidental doses) but deals with chloramines by unbinding them and leaving ammonia.
It does, but depending on the degree of planting, the amount of dissolved oxygen and the volume of the water change. This should be less of a problem in a heavily planted tank, mainly because the plants are going to mop <"up the TAN ammonia (NH3/NH4+)"> pretty quickly.

It is only really the <"Emergency Chloramine dosing"> scenario that is a worry and <"I'm not entirely sure how you can mitigate against that">, particularly as you have the potential <"double whammy"> of toxic levels of <"both chlorine (Cl2)"> and TAN ammonia.

cheers Darrel

I made my own solution with sodium thiosulphate and add 5ml to each 100L change water, along with front loading macro ferts before use, costs next to nothing.
If I wasn’t so lazy, this is what I would do
I use Chlor-go been using it for years, it’s intended for ponds, comes in large containers, and it’s cheap to use 👍👍👍😂

I had a fish with a bad sore on its side many years ago. I netted it, dabbed the area dry and then painted some Aloe gel on the affected area and within a week it was fine.
Interesting, How did you assess it was the Aloe Vera, and not just natural recovery?

Personally I do not use any. I run my tanks on 100% remineralized RODI water. Towards the end of life of my RO-DI cartridges (i.e. when the TDS spikes above ~4 ppm / 8 uS/cm) I add a squirt of Seachem Prime to the WC water just to be cautious.

Never heard of Aloe Vera being used in a freshwater tanks btw. or to heal wounds on fish... but sure, its known to work on human skin wounds by increasing the amount of collagen (a protein) and fish skin is rich in collagen as well. So there is that.

Cheers,
Michael

Back