• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

water changes

markj

Hi i have just started a planted tank for the first time my tank has a sump and in total the system holds
280l could anyone advise me on how often i should do water changes and what volume of water
i should change many thanks mark

Hello,
Recommended water change schedules depend greatly on whether the tank is Carbon enriched or not. If the tank is Carbon enriched then there will be high levels of carbon waste products discharged into the water column. In that case the standard recommendation is generally 50% or more of the water per week.

If the tank is not carbon enriched then the water change schedule can be very much lower since there are fewer pollutants entering the water.

Cheers,

Thanks for the reply i dose 6ml of easycarbo once aday

Hi,
Well, yes that counts as carbon enrichment. In fact it might easily count as not enough carbon enrichment depending on a few different factors, so I recommend that you get into the habit of replacing at least 140L of water every week, and more than that if you can.

If you keep the lighting low, you can reduce the nutrient loading, which will reduce the growth rates and reduce organic pollution. Then you can get away with changing less water if it bothers you.

Cheers,

Back