• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

utricularia graminifolia

dw1305 said:
Hi all,
I've just read that even "nutrient gathering as a secondary role" was overplaying their part, they don't have any roots and most scientists don't think that their leaves are actually true leaves either, but all parts (other than the flowers) are modified stems, so they are truly weird plants.
Darrel

My UG had very root like appendages, Darryl. Any idea what these were?

Dave.

Hi all,
Dave I think they are technically stems "stolon", and they should have the bladders on them if you look very closely.
Via Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utricularia
Bladderworts are unusual and highly specialized plants, and the vegetative organs are not clearly separated into roots, leaves , and stems as in most other angiosperms.[5]
Reference 5 is Rutishauser, Rolf; Isler, B. (2001). "Developmental Genetics and Morphological Evolution of Flowering Plants, Especially Bladderworts (Utricularia): Fuzzy Arberian Morphology Complements Classical Morphology". Annals of Botany 88 (1173): 1202.

I can definitely get a copy of the paper, as the editor of "Annals of Botany" resides in the office above me as I write this.
I've just found it is free from http://aob.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/88/6/1173.pdf

cheers Darrel

I can't figure this one out, The tall flowers suggest to me it grows underwater but shallow. Sending up flowers out of the water but maybe this just lifts them out of the undergrowth. My best results are in the moss of my emergent tank where it is spreading slowly but no flowers yet. I've ordered Utricularia bisquamata which is described as weed like, so should be fairly idiot proof, may even be better than UG under water. Anyone got any other good pics of UG? T

tanksapril2010127.jpg

Hi all,
I'm not sure the flower helps, I've seen the British native ones (which are floating aquatics) and they have a large (for the size of the plant) yellow flower well above the waters surface. This one is apparently U. aurea, but ours look exactly the same.
450px-Utricularia_aureaRHu2.JPG

All the terrestrial ones I've seen have a very similar flower, either poking from the moss, this is U. sandersonii (another easy to grow one)
Utricularia_sandersonii.jpg

or in the epiphytes,etc. looking a bit like an orchid (Utricularia reniformis).
439px-Utricularia_reniformis_inflorescence.jpg

cheers Darrel

For a substrate to keep emmersed UG, peat mixed with some moss, or coco coir should be enough, right?

The plant should not need any nutrients, apart from what it can catch, or do we need to provide something special?

Hi all,
peat mixed with some moss, or coco coir should be enough, right? The plant should not need any nutrients, apart from what it can catch,
I think that either substrate should do and yes I don't think feeding will make much difference, if you've got enough plants you could try a dilute foliar feed (it works with epiphytic orchids where the roots don't take up nutrients in the conventional manner).

cheers Darrel

Darrel,

I was wanting to use this plant for my upcoming scape, but after reading your threads regarding this its obviously best to grow this emeresed first. Will a cube with ADA Amazona II be suffiecient for emersed growing? How would i plant it? Do i just sit the plant ontop of the substrate and let it go to work?

Cheers

I just failed miserably with UG. Within a few days it had come free of the substrate (Knott aquasoil) and had broke up making it impossible to re plant. :(
I think it would have stood a better chance if I had held it in place with some form of netting allowing it time to root properly?
I had planned on using it as a carpet in an Iwagumi and was really gutted that I failed so bad! I`d be interested to know of the best approach to go about succeeding with this plant also. :thumbup:

Quetzalcoatl said:
I just failed miserably with UG. Within a few days it had come free of the substrate (Knott aquasoil) and had broke up making it impossible to re plant. :(
I think it would have stood a better chance if I had held it in place with some form of netting allowing it time to root properly?
I had planned on using it as a carpet in an Iwagumi and was really gutted that I failed so bad! I`d be interested to know of the best approach to go about succeeding with this plant also. :thumbup:
When I plant UG I cut the pots into small clumps, let say 1/4 of a standard pot. The use cable tights (zip lock type) and pierce trough the UG clump. Also I put small piece of the zip locker trough the locking part to form a T shaped anchor. Then poke the long part of the locker into the substrate to secure the UG clump. It never comes out of the substrate.
This method works well when used with UG pads or rock wool potted plants.

Hi all,
I've only had it going in moss emersed, so I just poked it into the moss layer and let it get on with it, but I think
When I plant UG I cut the pots into small clumps, let say 1/4 of a standard pot. The use cable tights (zip lock type) and pierce trough the UG clump. Also I put small piece of the zip locker trough the locking part to form a T shaped anchor. Then poke the long part of the locker into the substrate to secure the UG clump. It never comes out of the substrate.
should work pretty well.

cheers Darrel

dw1305 said:
Hi all,
I've only had it going in moss emersed, so I just poked it into the moss layer and let it get on with it, but I think
should work pretty well.

cheers Darrel
It does indeed. The small anchors are not visible on the pictures bellow, but this kind of hill is almost impossible to be made other wise. Especially with Amano shrimps in the tank.
DSC03465.jpg

DSC03596.jpg

Iwastherephotobucket.jpg

Interesting thread :) Why is it so old and almost forgotten? Did everybody give up on UG?. Actualy there is'nt much to find about growing it in a good way. Seen pictures from it looking like growing on substrate, saying woow! Nice job, but those poeple never seem to realy care to share their secrets. Now why is that?

I'm kinda strugling with this baby for a few months now :) and i tend to think the secret isn't in the substrate.. It just isn't devepolped as a plant with a root system using substrate to hold itself in place. It just doesn't use it roots for that.

Now i'm not sure if i'm comfortable with the statement UG isn't realy aquatic.. I think it is aqautic but just not suitable to grow submersed in a organic substrate like clay granules etc. As i see how it grows and yes it does grow and i likes to grow, but just doesn't care about substrate as anchor. I grows and propagates in a creeping fashion. You can compare it the way Hair grass propagates. UG does it the same way like shooting out a root and develops a new leaf on that and the string goes on..

I left some UG which came lose just floating around to find it's own way, my thought was as long as it lives leave it in there. Did the same with Ricia. Now i noticed the Ricia and the UG ending up at a piece of wood sticking out of the water and settling there. The photo below shows this early begining. Ricia finaly grabed the wood, UG got tangled in the ricia and there the cycle completes for it's natural aqautic growth form. Now the true aquatic form of UG comes to the show.

Right in front of the shrimp under the Ricia you see a string of UG hanging. This it grow in a few weeks time from a single leaf floating and ending up in the Ricia. It clearly grows and like to spread aqautic. It's not only growing up it's growing down as well. I think it truly is as aquatic as it is terrestrial, but it's just not a sincker, it's more like a floater cruising around till it finds a place where it finds hold and can propagate. Like other islands of floating vegitation, large peatmoss islands in bogs for example. I've seen all kinds of other carnivorous spieces as well living on floating peatmoss clumps, doing about the same thing, floating around with and on it's host.
IUulMuQ.jpg

Now this patch of Ricia has grown 6 times larger by now, grows much faster than UG and the UG is still in there but not yet realy popping the surface but still propagating. They both have somewhat the same color, it's hard to keep UG and Ricia apart when growing together and UG is still young.
Down on the bottom of the tank UG also still is there, it wants to propagate, rather does this above the substrate thann under it, but then Jacques the shrimp comes allong and puls the whole string out or brakes a piece off.

Now i come to think that the secret in growing UG on the bottom of your tank will probably and logicaly have to most succes if you use an other host to hold on to. Like if you try to grow and propagate UG emersed than put some kind of mesh over it, so the leaves shoot up through the mesh and form a carpet and parts of the stringy roots stay as well under the mesh providing the hold. Tie the mesh to a rock to make it stay on the bottom. Substrate wont do.. :)

Last edited:
Back