• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Use of Activated Carbon, Purigen, etc.

I wonder who stands behind 'Aquarium Science'. I know something about home experiments. They are rather costly, and above all, time consuming. I wonder who could possibly perform so many tests as an amateur? True, the author does not insist to be an amateur. If he/she is a pro, then crucial question arises: who pays for that?
It routinely attacks all commercial products. In that, I may agree in many instances, but again - doing tests which prove anything is difficult, expensive, and usually takes much more time than one can imagine. In short, I'm pretty suspicious about this 'Aquarium Science'.
It’s good to be sceptical. Some answers to your questions.

It’s good to be sceptical. Some answers to your questions.

I've always found that site a little lacking on the 'Science' element of 'Aquarium Science', and a little too strong on the 'Unsubstantiated opinion' element.

Hi all,
I wonder who stands behind 'Aquarium Science'. I know something about home experiments. They are rather costly, and above all, time consuming. I wonder who could possibly perform so many tests as an amateur? True, the author does not insist to be an amateur. If he/she is a pro, then crucial question arises: who pays for that?
It is mixture of <"the good, the bad and the ugly">. He isn't great on planted tanks, but the sections on <"biological filtration"> are pretty good.

I don't know anything about his background, or motivation, but I'm reasonably convinced that it is <"genuine and bona fide">.
It routinely attacks all commercial products
<"Not all of them"> and some sections <"are just fantastic">. I really like the <"comic potential">* of a <"properly angry person">.
......Another ceramic product which is the same as all the others is Biohome. This ceramic media is heavily marketed by a YouTube guru called the “Pondguru” from the United Kingdom. If I want a laugh I watch this snake oil salesman’s videos..........
a little too strong on the 'Unsubstantiated opinion' element.
That is partially why I think it is bona fide, if he wanted to peddle an agenda he would need to tone down his approach. He can be a bit "shouty".

* I did apologise to @Miss-Pepper

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hmmm. My water is faintly urine coloured with no purigen/carbon within a couple of days and straw like by the end of the week without purigen/carbon even now the tank is some months old. Water changes don’t really fix that but I totally understand the point.

Back