• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Unhealthy plants!

Victor

Hello, guys! My plants leaves are becoming glassy! What's the problem? The images below show my rotalas green with this symptoms. But I have more plants in my tank with the same problem, rotala macrandra green, myriophyllum amano, didiplis diandra and hemianthus micrantheimoids. I'm injecting a lot of CO2 and dosing all standard EI once a week.
2ir8byg.png

r2p18g.png

Because it's more easy, I dose 30 ppm of nitrate at once instead of 10 ppm three times a week, for example. My flow is fine, take a look at the video here: http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/co2-at-400-ppm.33818/ . That video is old, now I have na inline device to diffuse CO2 and I get rid the algae. Without CO2 my ph water is 6,86 and when lights turn on it's 5,8. My dkh is 2.

If you KH is lower than 4, it's almost impossible to get a good reading on you pH (there was a topic about this a while ago) you might test again with a higher KH (add some KH booster)...even if your KH is really 2, your pH should drop a lot more....
Even if my 4 dkh drop checker is yellow?

Yep....even if your DC is yellow (I had the same in one of my tanks before, nice yellow DC but still badly looking plants...I added Ca to boost my KH to 5 in my tank and my DC turned blue).
But you've used the water from your tank in your drop Checker?

But what means the symptoms my plants are showing? Lack of iron? Lack of CO2? Low light?

This is not EI, EI required daily or else as people find out, plant issues and sometime algae. Been there done that, EI is daily dosing.
But what's the difference between dosing 10 ppm of nitrate three times a week and 30 ppm once a week? I really didn't understand.

But what's the difference between dosing 10 ppm of nitrate three times a week and 30 ppm once a week? I really didn't understand.
I havent noticed a difference with both ways but I use lower lights. Plus you wont loose anything trying it and dosing a few times a week right? If this doesnt work then its CO2 or something else we are missing.

As usual this is a CO2 problem. You have to fix your injection rate, or injection timing, or flow/distribution or any combination of these.

Cheers,

But what's the difference between dosing 10 ppm of nitrate three times a week and 30 ppm once a week
Probably plants suffer a huge change in nutrient and suffer in similar way to CO2 changes.

But in answer to your problem it CO2, or lack of.

Sorry to add to confusion - but are you sure this plant is not Bacopa monnierei ?? Looks and growth is really not typical of Rotala 'green',but very typical of Bacopa monnierei.

Sorry to add to confusion - but are you sure this plant is not Bacopa monnierei ?? Looks and growth is really not typical of Rotala 'green',but very typical of Bacopa monnierei.
It's a rotala green, I'm sure. The problem is the plant is growing very leggy and some leaves are glassy! I need to fix my CO2 now.

l dose 2x the standard EI three times a week.
Why, EI should provide more than enough nutrients dosed daily. Again just dose as per EI and sort CO2 out. Just dose macro and micro on alternate days as iron chelate in micro can react with phosphate in the macro.

Why, EI should provide more than enough nutrients dosed daily. Again just dose as per EI and sort CO2 out. Just dose macro and micro on alternate days as iron chelate in micro can react with phosphate in the macro.
OK. I think I'm using more than 10 bps now! My tank has 300 L, it sounds enough?

OK. I think I'm using more than 10 bps now! My tank has 300 L, it sounds enough?
Wooow....I use less than 2bps on 180l and drop checker is like this..
8267e0b6-3643-41e1-9177-2a535b2c801b_zpsa7d34f0f.jpg

May I suggest you have a very poor way of dissolving CO2, incorrectly setup drop checker, or you have a CO2 leak somewhere, or you have a CO2 leak somewhere, or you have a CO2 leak somewhere, or you have a CO2 leak somewhere, or you have a CO2 leak somewhere, or you have a CO2 leak somewhere, or you have a CO2 leak somewhere, or you have a CO2 leak somewhere or maybe a leak :)

Back