• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

UK Shops for the Planted Tank Hobbyist

I went to visit them, got a bit disappointed. It was big but the place was like "not well taken care of".
I reckon ADC has gone down hill since the move as well, but maybe they will bounce back
I went there 3 or 4 times in the last 6 months and could see the (slow) evolution they were doing, so hopefully time is all they need to pick up their pace. Anyway, comparing the the other LFSs I have been to around here, they're still the best in almost all areas...

Are there any other LFSs around Kingston/Surrey I should know about?

Aquatics Design Center just moved out of London, but it's surely worth the trip.
Clapham South/Balham not really out of London, I am still to visit, will do soon ;) They were my first retail shop and were one of the best in Central London, I am sure they will bounce back, but loosing the premium stop just off Oxford Street may affect them!

Can anyone recommend any shops in East London/essex borders....use WetPets locally, but other than that any hidden gems?

I suddenly feel very old... I still remember Maidenhead Aquatics when it actually was just that... A fish-shop (singular) in Maidenhead...
I used to live walking distance away from the one in Binfield (Bracknell officially I guess) - I used to "walk the dogs" and came home clutching a bag with fish or plants or "things". Great guy called Mike ran it.
I had absolutely no idea it had grown into such a huge enterprise.

Derby Area, I would recommend Deans Fish Room on Upperdale Road. No Parking unless you park in B+M and walk down to him, or are lucky to get a spot opposite in the 1hr parking bays.
Always has Loads of plants with a Great Selection of them. And a very good range of scaping supplies.
Been using him since I moved up this way.
Pricing is very good and when he has a deal on the plants etc he passes on the savings, so All plants from Aquafluer are 2quid a pot. Even mother plants are a very reasonable price.

The Aquatic Store in Bristol usually has a pretty decent plant selection. They get weekly deliveries from Aquadip and Dennerle. Surprised nobody has mentioned it yet!

Aquajardin in Gloucester have good display tanks, but their plants for sale are variable. I now always phone before I go to any aquatic outlet. Found a very small retailer in Worcester who sells from home with grown on plants from tissue culture. Was attracted to him for shrimps, ended up buying plants as well. He's on ebay, but I turned up in person (by arrangement of course).

I suddenly feel very old... I still remember Maidenhead Aquatics when it actually was just that... A fish-shop (singular) in Maidenhead...
I used to live walking distance away from the one in Binfield (Bracknell officially I guess) - I used to "walk the dogs" and came home clutching a bag with fish or plants or "things". Great guy called Mike ran it.
I had absolutely no idea it had grown into such a huge enterprise.

I have returned to the hobby after more years than I care to remember away and like yourself I remember MA when it was a singular shop in Maidenhead. Interestingly Maidenhead is just about the only place in the UK that dosen't have a MA outlet in it :) It worries me that the big chains ( MA, W of W, P @ H etc ) are taking over and soon there will be no independents left which has to be a bad thing for the hobby.

Any known places in the West Midlands? Preferably Dudley / Wolverhampton way ... Or Birmingham.
I like Shirley Aquatics which is out towards Bromsgrove, the time before last when I went there were quite a few options for the planted tank. Went last week and there wasn't much there, but they did seem to be having a clean/move around.

My staple is Prestwood Petzone on the A449 heading towards Kidderminster. Staff know their stuff, they lack on plants, but have a decent amount of hardware and livestock.

Miles away, but dedicated shops like Aquarium Gardens are well worth the journey of you're serious about the hobby and can get there. Hoping for something like that in the area one day.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

All I can say is the best planted tank displays I've seen (I travel up and down the country for work and try to pop in to every fish shop I pass) is Maidenhead Aquatics Farnham.

Truly inspiring scapes. I don't know much more about the shop except friendly staff and some super cool fish on display. Some Pike Cichlids and Arowanas that could turn anybody's head. But those planted tanks... seriously. Jaw dropping!

All I can say is the best planted tank displays I've seen (I travel up and down the country for work and try to pop in to every fish shop I pass) is Maidenhead Aquatics Farnham.

Yes, that shop I frequently go to, very friendly stuff, very helpful. EA900 there scaped by @George Farmer himself ;)

20180924_130350.jpg

there seems to be a severe shortage north of the border.......gap in the market.........who's in? :lol:

Back