• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

UG - Utricularia graminifolia

I know its rude but is there any chance of getting some UG from you james?

Garuf said:
I know its rude but is there any chance of getting some UG from you james?

There is but not now I'm afraid. I've just planted up my 4 footer with it to see how it does. Had to use a lot at once to give it a chance as my amano shrimp seem to eat it. I'll let you know when it's harvest time.

James

My 5 pots are doing awful, planted them out in a little clearing.

I think the amano's have stripped them down, but some of them are pretty big now, around 2"'s long. :D

Oh well.

I have some coming from AE today, what's the best way of planting? do I leave some of the rockwool on like with HC or strip it right back to the roots?

Cheers
JOHNNY

I always like to remove the rock wool but you have to be super careful doing this with UG. This is how I did it with my one pot of UG. If you aren't happy doing this then cut the rockwool and UG in quarters and plant that way, would be my recommendation.

James

Cheers James, will have a look when I plant, see how it looks before I decide

Thanks
JOHNNY

How about these specs for ug:
light 36watts
tank 22l
co2 drop checker yellow
full EI dosing.
Do you think I should be okay?
I'm offering it 18 watts for 3 weeks to get a hold like tropica recommends then I'm going to up to the full 36.
I should be okay right?

With me it doesn't seem to do very well with a rich dosing regime such as EI. Think others have also said similar things. It comes from very nutrient poor waters which may explain why. I have it growing in Akadama which is near enough inert and a lean dosing method. Not having too much light to start with is a good idea.

Nearly got a full carpet across the whole of my four foot tank now and that's from a single pot a few months ago. Once it takes hold there's no stopping it.

James

It's interesting that UG doesn’t favour nutrient rich water/conditions. The way I look at it, is that it's almost exactly the same as carnivorous plants that you would have in a vivarium. You use fruit flies to feed the plants and any use of fertilisers actually kills them.

JamesC said:
With me it doesn't seem to do very well with a rich dosing regime such as EI.
James

Interesting that, James. My UG looks fantastic and stays really low and looks lush and grassy. The only thing is that it is a painfully slow grower. I use EI, but find it interesting that it keeps the plants healthy, but very slow growing.

Dave.

I was recommended EI to grow it which is odd. People seem to find that Co2 being high is more important than ferts being high.

Last update from me on this. I recently have switched from using RO + tap water with a KH and GH of ~3-4 to spring water with a KH of 7 and GH of 13. This has resulted in my large mat of UG losing it's colour and also has started falling apart. I shall therefore be ditching the whole lot.

Possibly it doesn't like the harder water but also it could be that it didn't like the change.

James

Raising this topic from the dead as some people were talking about UG at the ADC meet last Thursday, initially I thought it was Ed Seeley that did it, but it was James, just read the ropic, very useful if you are trying to grow this plant, I haven't seen other people on UKAPS growing this successfully, so there is a challenge there for you! :)

I bought 6 pots -

54457174.jpg

was doing ok but then vanished. I suspect my Amano shrimps and Angels removed most of it... (I was using tap water too which is quite hard here). I started to turn yellow which appears to be common when kept in high KH water from what I've read across the net?

I've just ordered some more as I'm now using RO - I'm going to have to cover it somehow, any suggestions? (Reduced light and keep the shrimps\angels away for a few weeks)

Just had 5 more pots delivered. This time it's Tropica rather than aquafleur, I've read Tropicas strain is hardier?
I'm also cutting my tap water with RO (75% RO) which should hopefully result in some better results than last time.

Any suggestions that might help improve its chances?

i read somewhere that one guy who was also struggling to grow this, mixed some fish food in a little bowl of water and let it stand for a few days, then sucked it up with a syringe and squirted it directly onto the UG. the logic was, coz they are carnivorous that they will capture and digest the micro-organisms, but i have read elsewhere that only the terrestrial growth is carnivorous so who knows. apparently the ug that he was struggling to go thrived with this treatment, but it is all hearsay...

Back