• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Thread closed

Re: The green green grass my first try

Here is the quick one I just did, only temp till tomorrow or Friday.

Drill a hole in the ceiling above the tank as centre to the tank as possible, I then got a 6" bolt with two nuts and tied the HD garden twine/string to the bolt between the nuts to hold it in place and pushed the hole thing into the ceiling through the hole to lay flat.

The string was already measured to length before doing that, then just looped the string into these clips I had in the shed ( cant remember what they are called ) I replaced all 4 end screws with longer ones to give the extra hold and length to get the clips fixed.

Also threaded a small round key ring onto the string to hold it central.

DSCF5549.jpg

DSCF5545.jpg

Bit of a bodge job but will do for a day or two.

Also helps if you can move the tank a few cm here and there to get the light unit measured to centre of the tank both length and width ways.

Here we are with the shrimp tank, cat litter substrate un-capped been in about a hour now. Black background to follow in a day or two. I have loaded the filter with some alfagrog from the main tank sump to get it on its way.

Diy Co2 is the next step for this tank.

DSCF5557.jpg

HarryRobinson said:
Remember you don't need the lights on until you have plants :) You'll get a little algae if you do

Ahh I don't mind lol

Got the lights hung with steel cable now will post pics tomorrow, also got the black BG. Here is the soon to be shrimp tank now, fair few scratches on the glass as it is a well old tank.

DSCF5600.jpg

Here is how I hung the shrimp light with steel cable,

DSCF5611.jpg

You need 1.3mm steel cable as long as you need, that cost me £0.99pm in B&Q and got 3m. I had everything else apart from the latch bolts and bigger washers.
DSCF5612.jpg

I made some crimps out of small pieces of metal I had in the shed. Bit of a dodgy pic though sorry.
DSCF5610.jpg

and some small washers I had in the shed
DSCF5609.jpg

And to keep the light wire in place and stop it pulling on the light
DSCF5613.jpg

Bit basic but does the job and looks great.

Love the lighting effect on the shrimp tank, good skills with the mounting too :)

Thanks, I wanted it to be a bit dull in the sides to give it an eery feel with the dark wood as well, was not sure that this light would do it but I think it does especially at night.

It does it perfectly, looks well, are you planting it?

Thanks,

Yes not decided what with yet but as it is low light and the main inhabitants will be shrimp I am thinking plenty of moss for sure but other plants not a clue yet lol All ideas for low light plants welcome :thumbup:

Will also be running DIY Co2 on it so will carpet with something as well.

HarryRobinson said:
I'd keep it moss only without the diy co2, that stuff can turn out to be a really bad idea because it fluctuates alot, in turn, causing algae ;)

Cheers for that, I will be running two bottles so can swap one at a time and hopefully get a good balance....

Getting a fair bit of new growth from the Phyllanthus Fluitans and the Aponogeton Natans are growing insanely fast!! Currently 5 shoots on their way to the surface from two of the 5 bulbs!

DSCF5698.jpg

Approx 11" shoot
DSCF5700.jpg

Back