• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Thread closed

Re: The green green grass my first try

Just a little tip for you, If you are wanting to carpet plants and use co2, you will need to have minimal surface agitation when the lights are on to keep the amount of o2 down. Also you will need lots of flow to spread out the co2 through the tank meaning your outlet pipe should point just downwards into the tank :)

I am hoping that I will have high enough light to carpet with GE, may not grow as fast but should still grow well with the approx 1.8wpg + the rich soil it will be planted above.......

HarryRobinson said:
Just a little tip for you, If you are wanting to carpet plants and use co2, you will need to have minimal surface agitation when the lights are on to keep the amount of o2 down. Also you will need lots of flow to spread out the co2 through the tank meaning your outlet pipe should point just downwards into the tank :)

Its not O2 that causes low CO2 levels, but in fact surface agitation 'gases off' Co2.

High levels of Co2 and O2 can be achieved by having surface agitation and cranking up the Co2.

Plants will output a lot of oxygen into the Water column by a term referred to as 'Pearling'.

This ensures the High oxygen content keeps fauna from being affected by high Co2 levels, and is obviously great for plants.

Cheers,

HarryRobinson said:
You still may have problems with algae in areas with little flow though matey.

It may not look it but there is almost 3000lh of water pushing through the return lol It does actually flow quite nicely around the whole tank with how it is directed now.

Thanks for the advice though

Danny said:
HarryRobinson said:
You still may have problems with algae in areas with little flow though matey.

It may not look it but there is almost 3000lh of water pushing through the return lol It does actually flow quite nicely around the whole tank with how it is directed now.

Failing that, you can just add a powerhead like a Hydor?
I'm sure being a 'Marine' you'll know about the importance of flow, it is equally important in the 'high tech' planted aquarium.

Only done marine once for a few months and found it boring lol Cichlids are my thing.

Update to the journal,

Ok, been thinking about it for a couple of days and decided to do it. I have added another divider into the sump so it is now 4 sections and better water flow.

Dodgy drawing lol
sumpexample.jpg

Cheers, just waiting for the silicone to cure and get it all running again lol, think I will just give it 6hrs as only a thin bead of silicone either side of it.

The Phyllanthus Fluitans has been added. Should have the Glossostigma Elatinoides tomorrow and the Nymphaea rubra at some point in the week.

DSCF5500.png

Well looks like I underestimated the amount of each portion lol half the tank is done and need the same amount again.....

Got the lights and filter for the shrimp tank today, all it needs now is substrate and a black background which I will have Friday or Saturday and it is ready to cycle. I will use some alfagrog from the sump on the main tank to kick start the cycle.

DSCF5544.jpg

Both out take pipes will be surrounded with sponge to stop it sucking up the shrimp.Also got a bit of Elocharis acicularis planted in the main tank to see how that goes.

Thanks!!

That is a £20 3x8w off ebay, just got it hung with garden string until I get to b&q and pick up either some small stainless chain or stainless cable.

Back