• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Thorea Hispida - I think??

Vic Dyal

Hi
I've been battling with some red string algae which I think is Thorea Hispida which I can't seem to keep under control. I don't have huge problems with green algae but this stuff grows quite aggressively across rocks, glass and plants!
Can anyone confirm that it really is Thorea Hispida and does anyone have any tips on how to control it please?

Thanks, Vic

Attachments

• 20240128_163258.jpg
    20240128_163258.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 151
  • 20240128_163305.jpg
    20240128_163305.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 119
Hi all,
Looks like it to me @dw1305 or miranda b can probably confirm.
<"It Is">.
£6 a portion should keep it in check 😀
I'd buy it, and I wish I was battling it, it is lovely.

Red Algae (Rhodophyta) are <"difficult to control">, and not much eats them, but they often <"spontaneously detach"> for reasons unknown.

We think that Ramshorn Snail grazing works long term, because <"they graze of the sporelings"> before they become obvious "plants".

Cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Lol, I liked it too to start with, then it grew over my substrate, rockwork, glass, equipment, anubias, bucephalandra...

Anything out there that eats it? Amano and otos have a little go but aren't that interested unless I need to ramp up my numbers (which I think I may need to anyway)

Out of curiosity, does yours have a jelly texture?

I had (or have) that algae and amano and neocaridina did not care for it. Chemical treatment will kill it though.

Out of curiosity, does yours have a jelly texture?

I had (or have) that algae and amano and neocaridina did not care for it. Chemical treatment will kill it though.
Yeah I think so, I worry about chemical as I have shrimp and snails so trying to avoid if possible

Hi there, first post. From Denmark.

I also have this jelly like Thorea Hispida red algae. It started a few years ago on a tree root, which I’ve had for years without any trace of the Thorea. I really want to get rid of it. So hard to battle.
It then started to grow on rocks, soil, Anubias and the silicone on the glass corners. I have neocaridinias, amano, neritina snails and cpo crayfish. None of them are interested in eating or dealing with it. I use fertiliser from Tropica and some random chemical algae remover. All does not work. Also have co2 on inline diffuser.
Anyone succeeded with removing them entirely without emptying the tank?

@Henrik1974 Pretty sure Seachem Excel or other equivalent glutaraldehyde treatments will kill it.

Strangely enough the stuff I had in my tank had died off and has not reappeared for a few months now. Which is kind of unfortunate now since I want to send samples for analysis.

@Henrik1974 Pretty sure Seachem Excel or other equivalent glutaraldehyde treatments will kill it.

Strangely enough the stuff I had in my tank had died off and has not reappeared for a few months now. Which is kind of unfortunate now since I want to send samples for analysis.
Thanks! I will try Seachem Excel. Will report back if it works,
A shame, you could have mine.

Yep, I used another brand of liquid CO2 and it definitely worked. Turn your filter off, get a pipette and squirt the algae directly. I did this for about a week every morning and that did the trick.

Back