• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The value of the Khuli Loach in the aquarium

FYI, a quick shot of my Walstead tank:

phone%20photo%2020100430.jpg

Sorry for the quality, taken on the phone...

Just looked at the thread title...
threadhijack.gif

Attachments

• threadhijack.gif
    threadhijack.gif
    1.4 KB · Views: 100
hey you guys,
before you condemn sewage treatment plants, i want to share a little secret with you...i have been growing tomatoes in dried treated sewage sludge for years and the fruit is far better than anything grown in compost...honest!!

ghostsword said:
ceg4048 said:

However, you are right with regards to the cow pie, the birds, and how the seeds and grass use those extra nutrients to grow. Not long ago, in Portugal, people would grow strawberries in horse manure.

I spend my winter weekends collecting horse poo from local stables, and putting it all over my allotment, and in the garden, for the potatoes, strawbs, roses, you name it. Fantastic stuff as long as it doesn't have aminopyralid in it, it has devastated several allotments round my way. I hope it doesn't effect the water round here!

Etherelda said:
ghostsword said:
I still find it odd to compare the tank water to a sewage treatment facility, where I very much doubt that any plant would survive.

http://www.scarborougheveningnews.co.uk ... 5652742.jp

This picture clearly shows a plucky plant growing among the rags and paper which were removed during the first stage of the process at the waste water treatment works off Coastal Road, Burniston.

The tomatoes had grown on dry sewage, not on the water. :)

Hi all,
The de-watered sewage sludge from traditional sewage farms all ways grows a fantastic crop of tomatoes, the other great sewage vectored seed is Fig (Ficus carica), that is where all the ones growing out of the embankments along the river Thames come from as well. If you can find a river where you have both sewage and hot water from a power station it is "Fig heaven". The other 2 places I've seen them doing very well are along the river Don in Sheffield (warm water from the steelworks), and the Bristol Avon at Bradford on Avon (warmer water from the mills?).
Fantastic stuff as long as it doesn't have aminopyralid in it, it has devastated several allotments round my way.
been a real problem on our allotment as well, when I first saw all the "curly" potato plants I thought it was hormone weed-killer spray drift from the council glyphosating the verge, but I soon found otherwise.
<http://www.allotment.org.uk/garden-diary/261/contaminated-manure-aminopyralid-update/>

cheers Darrel

Maybe there really is something we can do with the refuse others throw away. I have heard of dry refuse pelets being used for fertilizers, I think that I saw it on "Welcome to Lagos" program, the first one.

On a tank, when is the tipping point?... between poisoning the fish and killing everything, and providing a self sustaining environment with plants, needing just us to top up with water.

Back