• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The state of business

fluffiebugie

Seedling
Hey all.
I'm just returning to the hobby after a break of a couple of years.

I've been in the process of setting up my old tank, buying new equipment and starting the hardscape. But, something I've noticed is the severe lack of stock in the UK.
It wasn't this bad last time around, or maybe I was just lucky and happened to buy in-stock items.

It just seems that wherever I look the plants, materials or supplies I want are either out of stock, being shipped from somewhere else and take 2 weeks, or I order what I think is in stock only to get an email shortly after telling me it isn't and it'll take a while.

What is going on?
Doesn't anyone actually HOLD STOCK anymore? :wideyed:

I understand there are probably financial issues for a lot of small companies right now. But when you consider a lot of customers are likely to go elsewhere entirely if you don't hold stock surely it's a false economy?

So, anyone else experienced this? And have you turned to other suppliers when your usual supplier states the dreaded "Out of Stock" on their site?

Not particularly sure I agree on there suddenly being a problem. there was always a problem for this hobby and it did get a little better a few years ago but I do agree it has slipped back to where it was.

There are a few reasons. Lots of smaller 'webshops' being one of them but that is across the whole 'retaill' spectrum not just the planted aquarium hobby :) This means that there is now a higher percentage of 'order when a sale is made' outlets.

Pot luck yes but it does feed into the hands of those who we know do carry stock unless they can't get hold of the stock for various other reasons.

AC

Back