• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The shallow of learning

FrozenShivers

I am going to rescape my smaller tank, I'm also going to use this rescape to try lots of things I haven't tried before and hopefully learn from them, be it through failure or success.

Outdated
Tank - 60x35x35cm (73.5l)
Filter - Fluval 207
Heater - D-D Titanium Heater 100w
Lighting - Week Aqua P600 Pro
Lilly Pipes - Aquario Neo Flow V2
Diffuser - Aquario Neo Mixer
Doser - Kamoer x1 Pro 2

New
Tank - 60x35x22 (40l)
Filter/Heater - Oase Filtosmart 100
CO2 - Strideways Pro Plus
Lightning - TBC, possibly another Week Aqua P600 Pro, even though it will be super excessive on a shallow...
Lilly Pipes - Aquario Neo Flow V2 13mm
Diffuser - Aquario Neo Mixer 13mm
Doser - None

I purchased 10 random bits of red moor wood wood online, as well as 8KG of seiryu stone, these may or not get used, price was good so I thought I'd top up my collection. I bought some Tropica substrate ages ago that I've never used so I all add a little as a base layer even though it's not required, I recently also bought Tropica Soil and have Tropica Soil Powder on the way, a thin layer of powder will be used as a top layer for planting. I received an ADA Bubble counter for a Christmas gift, which I will setup once the CO2 is installed.

Whilst out today at my LFS, I came home with a piece of Corbo wood which took my fancy, although it seems to measure around 85cm long, if I can't make it work in this tank, I will add it to my 90cm tank in the future, fingers crossed though!

Some of the new things I am going to try:

Making my own scape (not using Aquarium Gardens to design), although I will ask for advice here.
Using active soil.
Using plants beyond the "Easy category".
Using a carpeting plant.
Using an auto dosing pump, I will set this up one day!
Running 30PPM CO2. (Running very low CO2 in my main tank due to running easy plants).

Existing scape - low tech
IMG_8720.jpg

Corbo wood
IMG_8719.jpg

Tropica Soil & Tropica Substrate
IMG_8321.jpg

Strideways Pro Plus
IMG_8325.jpg

Aquario Neo Mixer
IMG_8319.jpg

Random red moor soaking
IMG_8317.jpg

ADA Bubble Counter
IMG_8318.jpg

Last edited:
Slight change of plan... the old scape is staying (for the moment). I have a new tank coming, with the same dimensions....only shallow! A Wio 60F (60x35x22). Should be here in the next couple of weeks hopefully. Also scored a second hand Filtosmart 100 for a good price, I know it has 12mm fittings, can it be used with 16mm tubing? I'm thinking full size Aquario Neo lily pipe set might look too large for the tank and I'm better just buying the 12mm set?

Last edited:
I know it has 12mm fittings, can it be used with 16mm tubing? I'm thinking full size Aquario Neo lily pipe set might look too large for the tank and I'm better just buying the 12mm set?

Obviously the choice is yours but if you could exchange the large for the medium or if money is not much of a problem I'd go with 13mm set. I think you would get slightly better flow and it would definitely be more aesthetically pleasing.
Cheers!

Obviously the choice is yours but if you could exchange the large for the medium or if money is not much of a problem I'd go with 13mm set. I think you would get slightly better flow and it would definitely be more aesthetically pleasing.
Cheers!

I think you're right, I'll buy the smaller Aquaria Neo set (already got two sets of the larger ones on other tanks). Thanks!

Edit - Purchased Aquario Neo Flow V2 13mm, Aquario Neo Mixer 13mm, Aquario Neo shrimp inlet 13mm...and will also buy the 13mm matching Lilly pipe at some point in the near future...:)

Last edited:
Some more things have arrived, the company I ordered from has been told last minute that Wio 60F is not arriving, so I've had to change for a UNS 60S 60x36x18. Hopefully I don't have to wait too long.

Attachments

• IMG_8848.jpg
    IMG_8848.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 39
I'm here for all your alder cone needs. The UNS is a lovely tank. One query I'd have would be using a lot of equipment which will intensify growth when you've only got a small area to play with.

I'm here for all your alder cone needs. The UNS is a lovely tank. One query I'd have would be using a lot of equipment which will intensify growth when you've only got a small area to play with.
Appreciate your last bunch of botanicals Alex and the fish are all doing well also :)...the lights won't be on full blast and the CO2 can be adjusted as required.

Some goodies arrived today, the UNS 60S. To my surprise my large piece of hardscape I purchase a while back actually fits, I'd like to try and make a scape around this piece and try out some emerged growth, so I'll play around with it at the weekend. I've got some tools etc from the Chinese brand "Viv" and have always been very impressed with the quality for the price, I got a drop checker and a glass feeder from them and I'm extremely pleased, so much so that I'll be ordering another two of their drop checkers, they are smaller in size so will look good in the shallow. I also need to move things about to fit this into my office and I have some goodies (for all 3 tanks) on route from Singapore which should be pretty cool!

Attachments

• IMG_8914.jpg
    IMG_8914.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_8913.jpg
    IMG_8913.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_8911.jpg
    IMG_8911.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_8912.jpg
    IMG_8912.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 37
Installed my Litiaquario desk mount for the lights, installed it straight into my desk. The backlight has been installed and I have poured in the Tropical soils. Sadly I won't get away with the lovely large piece of wood as the light won't clear, it will get used in the future in one of my larger tanks. Messed about quickly with some rock, considering doing rocks only (but not Iwagumi) or even having absolutely no hardscape, which is something I have never tried and focusing on lots of plants?

IMG_8927.jpg

IMG_8928.jpg

Just about to say the same thing. Forget the aquarium, great little speakers! ;)

I have the Wharfedale 12.1's and matching centre speaker in my living room which I really like, so got the 12.0's up in the office for when I don't want to use headphones. :)

Tried to setup this Filtosmart 100...sometimes seems to leak from the the heater seal...argh! I'll mess about with it tomorrow. Might end up just using my trusty Fluval 207, I would just need to buy two 16>12mm reducers if so right?

Tried to setup this Filtosmart 100...sometimes seems to leak from the the heater seal...argh! I'll mess about with it tomorrow. Might end up just using my trusty Fluval 207, I would just need to buy two 16>12mm reducers if so right?
Sounds like a pain.

When you get time tomorrow, unpack it all and make sure everything is in place properly etc, and then dry the excess wet away from EVERYWHERE. I have found many times that I thought my Oase was leaking but actually it was residual water,

Let me know what you are seeing, and I'll try to help as best I can if it does not settle down.

Sounds like a pain.

When you get time tomorrow, unpack it all and make sure everything is in place properly etc, and then dry the excess wet away from EVERYWHERE. I have found many times that I thought my Oase was leaking but actually it was residual water,

Let me know what you are seeing, and I'll try to help as best I can if it does not settle down.

This was not residual water as I could literally see it start to slowly drain out via the heater slot. I'll try again today though and let you know what I see, appreciate it!

This was not residual water as I could literally see it start to slowly drain out via the heater slot. I'll try again today though and let you know what I see, appreciate it!
No problems. Although it's a pain, feel welcome to take any pictures to help me see what might be going on.

Back