• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Temporarily rehousing fish

idris

Suplimentary to my large water change question ...

I'm planning to half drain my tank and then stir up a lot of sediment with some replanting and rescaping.
I could fill an old 25l tank to house some of my fish while I mess up the big tank - 3 Gouamis, 1 Rainbow, 2 Killis and up to 12 Neons, depending on how many I can catch. (I doubt I'd catch the Ottos or Amanos.)

Which is likely to cause more stress to the fish: rehousing them in a small tank for a few hours while i do the work, or leave them in the big tank?

I don't know the answer to you question, but I used to use plastic containers to keep fish outside of tank for the refurbish. I got four big ones from Argos: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... GE+BOX.htm
and used my daughters IKEA storage ones. Fish were happy; my daughter not so much.

I always take all fish from a tank - it makes things much easier and I am not stressed that much.

HTH

I used a large black bucket when I did this to my small tank. Made sure that it was nice and dark in there so that they weren't too stressed. Amano's were a bit troublesome but it'll be less stressful catching them than leaving them in there.

Oto's are fairly easy to net once you get them on a clear area of glass. Oto's and shrimps can be bottle trapped. Check youtube if your unfamiliar with this.

Bucket or storage container as already posted will suffice, start water change into container, add heater and small filter for flow. If you have fish that may jump then a cover would be good too.

I rarely see most of the Ottos, and hardly ever during daylight, or the Shrimps. To be fair, I don't even know how many there are alive.
What would you suggest baiting the bottle trap with.

Back